Disney has been sued for spying on Children through Games & Apps

AlTech

Disney has been sued for allegedly spying on Children through 42 games.

A federal class action lawsuit filed last week in California alleges that the Walt Disney Company is violating privacy protection laws by collecting children’s personal information from 42 of its apps and sharing the data with advertisers without parental consent.

The lawsuit targets Disney and three software companies — Upsight, Unity, and Kochava — alleging that the companies created mobile apps aimed at children that contained embedded software to track, collect, and then export their personal information along with information about their online behavior.

The plaintiff, a San Francisco woman named Amanda Rushing, says she was unaware that information about her child, “L.L.,” was collected while playing mobile game Disney Princess Palace Pets, and that data was then sold to third parties for ad targeting.

I find it a little disappointing that a lot of people playing a Free To Play game don't necessarily fully understand how or why they are able to play for free. I think that this is an issue companies using the Free To Play model should address.

In this case, the Free To Play games sold user data. 

Some background on what the spying is:

The class action suit says this violates the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which was enacted by Congress in 1999 and designed to protect the privacy of children online. COPPA requires that companies designing apps for children under the age of 13 obtain consent from parents before collecting personal information.

Disney has responded to the lawsuit and are lawyering up faster than you can say "Guilty".

Disney has a robust COPPA compliance program, and we maintain strict data collection and use policies for Disney apps created for children and families. The complaint is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of COPPA principles, and we look forward to defending this action in court.

Disney is playing the "consumer doesn't understand" card and hopes that this will actually work in court.

Oh and here's all the games that are affected:

AvengersNet

Beauty and the Beast

Perfect Match

Cars Lightening League

Club Penguin Island

Color by Disney

Disney Color and Play

Disney Crossy Road

Disney Dream Treats

Disney Emoji Blitz

Disney Gif

Disney Jigsaw Puzzle!

Disney LOL

Disney Princess: Story Theater

Disney Store Become

Disney Story Central

Disney Magic Timer

Disney Princess: Charmed Adventures

Dodo Pop

Disney Build It Frozen

DuckTales: Remastered

Frozen Free Fall

Frozen Free Fall: Icy Shot

Good Dinosaur Storybook Deluxe

Inside Out Thought Bubbles

Maleficent Free Fall

Miles from Tomorrowland: Missions

Moana Island Life

Olaf's Adventures

Palace Pets in Whisker Haven

Sofia the First Color and Play

Sofia the First Secret Library

Star Wars: Puzzle DroidsTM

Star WarsTM: Commander

Temple Run: Oz

Temple Run: Brave

The Lion Guard

Toy Story: Story Theater

Where's My Mickey?

Where’s My Water? (paid, lite, and free)

Where's My Water? 2

Zootopia Crime Files: Hidden Object

Disney, Disney, Disney.... what happened? I'm really confused. I thought you were milking people dry of money by encouraging people to watch expensive movies, go to expensive theme parks etc. But you're also making money off of Children's data? I think that companies aiming to make products for children should avoid making money by collecting information or selling information. Micro-transactions are also a bad idea for children games. The only business model that I think really should be used in apps or games for Children are paid games with no built in micro-transactions.

But hey, what do I know? I'm not terribly interested in Walt Disney Corporation's bottom line :|.

Sources:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/9/16115352/disney-sued-spying-children-gaming-apps-disney-princess-palace-pets

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.disneydigitalbooks.PalacePets_goo

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Interesting, I wouldn't expect this from them.  I get the feeling that they genuinely think there's been a misunderstanding that they can defend against, and not that they knew what they were doing all along and hoping to get away with it, but I guess we'll see.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting, I wouldn't expect this from them.  I get the feeling that they genuinely think there's been a misunderstanding that they can defend against, and not that they knew what they were doing all along and hoping to get away with it, but I guess we'll see.

This whole case hinges on the fact that the parents had no idea that data collection and selling had occurred.

The law requires that apps or games designed for children must require parents to agree to the data collection or selling of it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

This whole case hinges on the fact that the parents had no idea that data collection and selling had occurred.

The law requires that apps or games designed for children must require parents to agree to the data collection or selling of it.

or better yet don't put that stuff in games for kids... just not a good road to start down.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I always wondered why so many former Disney Child Stars became drug addicted *****.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Disney cant defend themselves in this case. They think that they are innocent and haven't done anything wrong, but spying on children, seriously. 

This quote is particularly interesting

The plaintiff, a San Francisco woman named Amanda Rushing, says she was unaware that information about her child, “L.L.,” was collected while playing mobile game Disney Princess Palace Pets, and that data was then sold to third parties for ad targeting.

collecting the data is one thing but reselling it for ad purposes seems like it would be a whole other crime on top of the spying... I know the rules regarding advertising and kids are quite strict, at least in some places

I guess Disney has to try and find revenue streams somewhere, since their TV based revenue is going to very quickly disappear. Pretty sad to see, however not overly surprising. I hope they get a very hard slap on the wrist for this.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to see if the ToS (that all users agree to) included all the information on what they were doing with private data.  I would imagine the case will be pretty cut and dried in one direction. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to see if the ToS (that all users agree to) included all the information on what they were doing with private data.  I would imagine the case will be pretty cut and dried in one direction. 

that's where the lawyers come in, pointing to past examples of where a tos was dismissed on grounds it tried to do things that shouldn't be done, or was hard to read, or something like that :P 

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This quote is particularly interesting

collecting the data is one thing but reselling it for ad purposes seems like it would be a whole other crime on top of the spying... I know the rules regarding advertising and kids are quite strict, at least in some places

Oh yeah, ADs targeted at children have totally different requirements than for Adults.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

that's where the lawyers come in, pointing to past examples of where a tos was dismissed on grounds it tried to do things that shouldn't be done, or was hard to read, or something like that :P 

I get the feeling that these kind of cases originate roughly from The Republic of California :D.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would imagine if precedent is set and the law isn't really open to interpretation it would still be a pretty straight forward case.   I Mean, it's not like they are treading new ground where they are trying to apply new conditions to archaic laws.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

User under 13 accepting a legal document.. :thinking:

idk

18 minutes ago, mr moose said:

A ToS, EULA, CoC or any other "legal agreement, including a legitimate contract btw" cannot supersede the law.

At the topic, I'd urge people to wait and see what the courts throw up before passing judgement, not that I'm defending Disney but I would wager the woman is more likely to be ignorant of the law than Disney is.

If Disney are found to be breaching the law then by all means, go hell for leather but I somehow doubt they'd allow themselves to end up in that position.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, CUDA_Cores said:

we'll what else is new. Another big corporation has been caught doing something it shouldn't have and thanks to their bankroll, will get away with it.

Tell me  some real news.

You mustn't be very up with current affairs, Nvidia were forced to refund GTX970 owners for the 3,5GB ram scandal, Microsoft lost in the EU court of their data storage and handling policies & Google were fined billions for pushing their own adverts above others. Valves entire Steam refund service was setup because the EU & Australia sued them over not complying with consumer protection laws. I'd even throw in Audi and the whole "emissions scandal", consumers who bought affected cars were offered a new car and/or some compensation and Audi were fined billions of dollars.

In recent times more large corporations have faced the courts and lost than in previous times and the trend looks to continue.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

A ToS, EULA, CoC or any other "legal agreement, including a legitimate contract btw" cannot supersede the law.

At the topic, I'd urge people to wait and see what the courts throw up before passing judgement, not that I'm defending Disney but I would wager the woman is more likely to be ignorant of the law than Disney is.

If Disney are found to be breaching the law then by all means, go hell for leather but I somehow doubt they'd allow themselves to end up in that position.

Exactly, if the law says it's o.k and the ToS adequately state what they are doing it will get thrown out pretty quick.  However if ToS isn't adequate or the law says otherwise it will go the other way just as quick. 

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Exactly, if the law says it's o.k and the ToS adequately state what they are doing it will get thrown out pretty quick.  However if ToS isn't adequate or the law says otherwise it will go the other way just as quick. 

Yep, if Disney are selling children's data then they are royally fucked because that is straight up illegal everywhere outside of 3rd world nations but as I said previously, Disney have a very large and very expensive legal team and I am damn sure they know exactly how to operate so they are bordering on the line without crossing it.

That said I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to find out Disney are selling children's data.

Inb4 its the old "well we contracted an external company to handle our data collection and we were not aware that the external 3rd party non Disney contractor was selling data collected from Disney software" excuse.

I'm fairly certain upon install of an app or game the app on Android discloses what access the app has access to and what the app does. I however am not sure what occurs on an iPhone. It might state in the ToS of the game that they collect information. If this information is stated then the parents don't have a leg to stand on as Disney have then already fully disclosed what they are doing.

I feel like this will be thrown out of court and Disney will end up winning.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

18 minutes ago, sof006 said:

I'm fairly certain upon install of an app or game the app on Android discloses what access the app has access to and what the app does. I however am not sure what occurs on an iPhone. It might state in the ToS of the game that they collect information. If this information is stated then the parents don't have a leg to stand on as Disney have then already fully disclosed what they are doing.

I feel like this will be thrown out of court and Disney will end up winning.

Not true at all.

I can only speak for the UK as thats where i live and work but here in the UK it is straight up illegal to collect data from children, fullstop. I work in a childcare setting and we can't even store children's details on file without a consent form from the parents. Yep that's right, we have to have a consent form signed by the parent to even be able to keep the child's registration form on file in our filing cabinet, that's a form we have to have by law that was filled in by the parents. We cannot take photos of the children without an express consent form either. Honestly its easier for us to give the children medication than it is to take their photo.

Trust me when I say this, here in the UK Disney's EULA could say "we will collect your child's data and sell it on to 3rd parties", worded in that exact way with the obligatory "I Agree" button and it wouldn't make a tiny bit of difference.

Just to be super clear though, that only stands for identifiable data, its OK to collect things like usage statistics from your children's app as long as your not collecting anything that can be used to identify the child with.

See my above comment, no legal contract can ever supersede the law. Plus thats ignoring the fact the an EULA is not an actual legal contract at all and in most cases is not worth the amount of bytes it takes up on your hard drive.

42 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Yep, if Disney are selling children's data then they are royally fucked because that is straight up illegal everywhere outside of 3rd world nations but as I said previously, Disney have a very large and very expensive legal team and I am damn sure they know exactly how to operate so they are bordering on the line without crossing it.

That said I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to find out Disney are selling children's data.

Inb4 its the old "well we contracted an external company to handle our data collection and we were not aware that the external 3rd party non Disney contractor was selling data collected from Disney software" excuse.

I don't know about the US laws, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they only have to put the clause in the ToS that parents agree to.

This does not surprise me. Ever since ESPN started tanking in revenue, Disney was losing HUGE money. Yes, you may not think so, but ESPN was Disneys real cash cow. It generated substantially more revenue then all other sectors, and when it started to heavily bleed subscribers last year, Disneys revenue plunged. This is why Disney stocks has barely moved up for over a year. The company is scrambling to find a new cash cow, and no, their movies are FAR from a cash cow. CGI effects and actors cost so much that they make very little revenue % wise compared to total expense.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You have far more faith in them than I do.  WDC isn't the same company that it was under Walt.  When he died, so did his dream.

just installed frozen freefall and other than the windows store permissions there is nothing, not even an "I accept the terms box" you have to open the menu, about, terms and conditions which link http://disneytermsofuse.com.

remember I had to go looking for these.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

So.... I'm a parent. My kids had a Kindle with games. But can't install games without permission from my account. Even so, if he had a game that collected data, it would be my data. Why? Because my kid is 7, doesn't have an email address, doesn't have his own Prime membership .. and so on. Any data collected on the device is essentially my data because the tablet is registered to me, tied to my Prime account. I'm not stupid enough to put my child's info on the internet. I ruin his life enough, he can ruin his digital Life when he is older.

I'm tired of parents using laziness as an acceptable reason to not learn about the technology their children use. It's crazy. Be educated and be a good parent. This bullshit is what happens when you babysit your children with technology.

Any electronic device should be registered to the parent. So it's the parents information being used for advertisements. And as for FTP content... I've said it a thousand times. Nothing is "free" on the internet.

Also, did Disney create these games, or give licensing permission to 3rd party companies to create these games?

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Also, did Disney create these games, or give licensing permission to 3rd party companies to create these games?

My understanding is that they published the games but they may not necessarily be the developer of them. It appears that the developers were contractors hired by Disney to make the games Disney wanted.