EK announcing dedicated Threadripper water blocks

Just a quick thought: I think that AMD specifically designed threadripper with only two dyes to improve on lower temperatures. I think that AMD has done a great job on threadripper in terms of helping it reduce the temperatures when under heavy workloads. I dont really know for sure if this is true, but its just a thought.

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Usually, I think as long as the area around the dies themselves is covered by the cooler adding more surface area doesn't really help. With TR though as gamers nexus found with stuff like the asetek coolers they really aren't covering the edges of some of the dies very well, so if thermal paste doesn't spread across the whole coldplate on the aio then there could potentially be higher temps (they found that putting a lot of thermal paste in the center was about 5C cooler than other methods at stock).

I'm not sure what you're comparing this waterblock to, but your logic kinda makes sense compared to the asetek aios.

I think it's also a case of 180W TDP spread across two rather large dies than a single but slightly smaller overall surface area die.

I'm not sure how well the logic actually stacks up looking in to it though.

Ryzen dies size: 192mm2

Threadripper die size: 2 x 192mm2 or 384mm2

Skylake-SP LCC die size: 308mm2

Skylake-SP HCC die size: 473mm2

Skylake-X LCC die size: 320mm2 (unconfirmed)

Skylake-X HCC die size: 484mm2 (unconfirmed)

So surface area wise Threadripper is larger than Skylake-X LCC but not HCC. The only way Threadripper could have better cooling capability is heat density and the heat is produced in two locations not one but I really don't think that has any effect at all. I'm also ignoring soldered vs TIM as this is about surface area differences and not thermal conductivity.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

I think it's also a case of 180W TDP spread across two rather large dies than a single but slightly smaller overall surface area die.

I'm not sure how well the logic actually stacks up looking in to it though.

Threadripper die size: 2 x 192mm2 or 384mm2

Skylake-SP LCC die size: 308mm2

Skylake-SP HCC die size: 473mm2

Skylake-X LCC die size: 320mm2 (unconfirmed)

Skylake-X HCC die size: 484mm2 (unconfirmed)

So surface area wise Threadripper is larger than Skylake-X LCC but not HCC. The only way Threadripper could have better cooling capability is heat density and the heat is produced in two locations not one but I really don't think that has any effect at all. I'm also ignoring soldered vs TIM as this is about surface area differences and not thermal conductivity.

Does the implementation of the dies affect cooling performance?

Well I would imagine that threadripper should have better cooling since the dye is soldered to the IHS. 

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Personally I don't think the extra cost for the mono block + super high end board you need because they just fit those is worth it over two-four fittings and some tubes. 

It's not about saving money on the fittings it's just having less of them is nice. I've done both soft tubing and hard tubing and less connections the better with both, with hard line being super awesome to have less.

Heat bending is easy but preparing the ends of the tubes is really time consuming and so is the planning for hard line. Most hard line systems I've seen, even the ones shown off at tech shows, have very few connections and bends or way less than mine anyway.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Threadripper die size: 2 x 192mm2 or 384mm2

Correction: 2*192mm2 or ~272mm2

EDIT: I forgot how units of area work for a moment.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Functionally this looks rather good but on the looks department?

AMD Ryzen Threadripper

Not impressed: It looks odd to have the cold plate mounted on just a black slab. It just doesn't looks nearly as good as the rest of their CPU blocks honestly.

-------

Current Rig

-------

45 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Correction: 2*192mm2 or ~272mm2

No it's two actual 192mm2 dies so 384mm2.

Edit:

If AMD could do 16 cores, 64 PCIe lanes, 2 IMCs in 272mm2 that would be earth shattering silicon fabrication technology even compared to Intel, Intel can't even get 12 cores in to that size.

53 minutes ago, leadeater said:

No it's two actual 192mm2 dies so 384mm2.

Edit:

If AMD could do 16 cores, 64 PCIe lanes, 2 IMCs in 272mm2 that would be earth shattering silicon fabrication technology even compared to Intel, Intel can't even get 12 cores in to that size.

How are you measuring that? Because 3842 is 4*1922.

Are you including the placeholder dies?

Edited by Dash Lambda
Foot is in mouth.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

How are you measuring that? Because 3842 is 4*1922.

Are you including the placeholder dies?

no that is right 

192is 192x1 pluse a second die would make it 192 x 1 x 2 = 3842

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I like most of them, at least the plexiglass ones. Acetal blocks all look like shit imo. Don't know what limited edition block you are talking about though. 

Would of looked better and matched more cases in silver/gray but the pattern is all it takes to make a brick on your cpu look good. 

%5EAFA5F6C7FCA473261919C37046543FF87EE50

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

7 hours ago, dexT said:

It needs one. Look at how hideous that board is lol.

I always wonder how much worse MSI can make a motherboard.

Every year they impress me. They should never have killed off the yellow MPOWER boards. Those looked kinda cool. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Every year they impress me. They should never have killed off the yellow MPOWER boards. Those looked kinda cool. 

Lol.

The M and XPOWER were good looking, good performing boards. Now there's Titanium Gaming that have budget components throughout. This board is uglier than X99 MSI. 

Yeah they're very nice. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Ginger137 said:

Would of looked better and matched more cases in silver/gray but the pattern is all it takes to make a brick on your cpu look good. 

%5EAFA5F6C7FCA473261919C37046543FF87EE50

The plexi one looks sweet... 

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The mpower boards were great for overclocking too. Now they seem to be cheaping out on mosfets more and more. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The plexi one looks sweet... 

The mpower boards were great for overclocking too. Now they seem to be cheaping out on mosfets more and more. 

The plexi block is the first block EK made. Now in gold!

mpower boards were pretty damn good. Unfortunately the proper boards are gone now. Gigabyte have also killed the SOC Champion. Big orange board doesn't exist anymore. Now it's just a RGB lights fest. ASUS and EVGA still kicking with their pro-boards though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The plexi block is the first block EK made. Now in gold!

mpower boards were pretty damn good. Unfortunately the proper boards are gone now. Gigabyte have also killed the SOC Champion. Big orange board doesn't exist anymore. Now it's just a RGB lights fest. ASUS and EVGA still kicking with their pro-boards though. 

I thought the SOC Champion was still alive on the absolute high end? There is an X99 one I'm pretty sure 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I thought the SOC Champion was still alive on the absolute high end? There is an X99 one I'm pretty sure 

X99 board still exists. Was a POS though apparently. X299 board is just a completely black board with RGB on I/O and PCH. 

7 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

X99 board still exists. Was a POS though apparently. X299 board is just a completely black board with RGB on I/O and PCH. 

That's sad... Haven't checked the state of ASRocks OC Formula but I hope they live on... Also I really really really want a Z97 one of them lol

Builds:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Gigabyte isn't bringing the SOC Champion to X299.  "pro" events only, not for consumers.

I'm still waiting for a -WS board from either Asus or ASrock.  If neither then the OC Formula or Extreme/Apex.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Gigabyte isn't bringing the SOC Champion to X299.  "pro" events only, not for consumers.

I'm still waiting for a -WS board from either Asus or ASrock.  If neither then the OC Formula or Extreme/Apex.

...and the 7980XE, right? 

Just now, done12many2 said:

...and the 7980XE, right? 

Yarp.  I might even pay retail for the damn thing just to get on the leaderboards before everyone else does :)

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

37 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Oh wow that's really sad... I haven't seen an X299 OC Formula though, is it out? 

36 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Yarp.  I might even pay retail for the damn thing just to get on the leaderboards before everyone else does :)

That chip costs more then my entire system lol

Builds:

Spoiler