Define S (Window) TG Mod

baconborn

So I've seen a few logs on this mod done and I feel like I have a good grasp on how to do it, but one question I haven't seen directly addressed was the lip around the existing window. I don't mean the lip that supports the acrylic window, but the structural support lip on the top and front sides of the panel around the window. cutting the existing window to fit TG leaves a very small gap (like less than 1 cm) between the edge and this lip and I've still got to have room for the rubber u-channel around the edge. I've looked at it and it does look like its only a bend and not really attached at all.

So I'm thinking one of 2 routes. 1) just cut the lip off. This would get it completely out of the way, but since its folded over I'm worried about cutting through to the other side and leaving an unsightly hole in the panel.

My second thought was just to bend the lip back since its not actually attached and mount the TG under it. My worry here it bending too far and having this ugly thing hanging there, over not bending enough and possibly scratching the glass. Any tips on how to best tackle this, or any source on how someone else dealt with this specifically? Thanks

25 minutes ago, baconborn said:

So I've seen a few logs on this mod done and I feel like I have a good grasp on how to do it, but one question I haven't seen directly addressed was the lip around the existing window. I don't mean the lip that supports the acrylic window, but the structural support lip on the top and front sides of the panel around the window. cutting the existing window to fit TG leaves a very small gap (like less than 1 cm) between the edge and this lip and I've still got to have room for the rubber u-channel around the edge. I've looked at it and it does look like its only a bend and not really attached at all.

So I'm thinking one of 2 routes. 1) just cut the lip off. This would get it completely out of the way, but since its folded over I'm worried about cutting through to the other side and leaving an unsightly hole in the panel.

My second thought was just to bend the lip back since its not actually attached and mount the TG under it. My worry here it bending too far and having this ugly thing hanging there, over not bending enough and possibly scratching the glass. Any tips on how to best tackle this, or any source on how someone else dealt with this specifically? Thanks

Are you talking about the side panel clips that hold the panel in place?  This solely depends on what your trying to achieve are you trying to have a solid glass side panel or just replace the original acrylic one with glass?

fractal-design-define-window-mid-tower-chassis-review_14

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Are you talking about the side panel clips that hold the panel in place?  This solely depends on what your trying to achieve are you trying to have a solid glass side panel or just replace the original acrylic one with glass?

fractal-design-define-window-mid-tower-chassis-review_14

No, On the define S windowed, there is a structural bend between the lip holding the existing window, and the clips to hold it to the case. They are actually in that picture you posted, but the bent section is further away from the clips on the windowed version.

1 minute ago, baconborn said:

No, On the define S windowed, there is a structural bend between the lip holding the existing window, and the clips to hold it to the case. They are actually in that picture you posted, but the bent section is further away from the clips on the windowed version.

Can you post up a photo just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about there is a bend around the window opening. Are your trying to replace the existing window with glass and can't get a flush mount because of it? 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Can you post up a photo just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm pretty sure I know what your talking about there is a bend around the window opening. Are your trying to replace the existing window with glass and can't get a flush mount because of it? 

I don't have access to my case right at this moment because I'm out of town, but I've boxed the bend in red. The issue is if I cut the lip that the acrylic window sits on and then put a rubber u channel on that edge, I would only have a few millimeters between the rubber bit and this bend to try and put some mounting tape

7200_14_fractal-design-define-window-mid-tower-chassis-review.jpg

2 minutes ago, baconborn said:

I don't have access to my case right at this moment because I'm out of town, but I've boxed the bend in red. The issue is if I cut the lip that the acrylic window sits on and then put a rubber u channel on that edge, I would only have a few millimeters between the rubber bit and this bend to try and put some mounting tape

I wouldn't cut it that close leave around an inch or so away from the lip, if you want a full clear side panel then your best option would be to ditch the entire side panel and fabricate a new mounting solution for a full clear side window instead.

Here's an example of it:

https://mnpctech.com/fractal-design-define-s/nano-s-clear-side-panel.html

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunatelt 

On 8/9/2017 at 8:54 PM, W-L said:

I wouldn't cut it that close leave around an inch or so away from the lip, if you want a full clear side panel then your best option would be to ditch the entire side panel and fabricate a new mounting solution for a full clear side window instead.

Here's an example of it:

https://mnpctech.com/fractal-design-define-s/nano-s-clear-side-panel.html

unfortunately that bracket design couldn't be applied to the Define S and several other Fractal cases

17 years of helping you void your warranty