I want to switch to Linux, need advice

Hello. I was just deciding whether to switch to Linux or not. I've been thinking about this for a while but I decided not to multiple times, but this time I feel like I want to do it for real. Windows 10 is giving me plenty of problems and I honestly don't have the patience for it. Besides, I've heard it's more private, so that's a plus. I've been looking at a few Linux distributions and I quite liked Elementary OS, mostly because of the visuals. Is it good, bad? What do you think? I know absolutely nothing about Linux so I need as much help as possible. I will need to keep W10 because I play games, so I'll have to install both in my SSD, and I don't know how to do that in the first place. Also, which programs can be used in Linux and which ones can't? These are the ones I use: Steam, Origin, Uplay, iTunes (so I can add music to my phone), CCleaner, Bvckup 2, MSI Afterburner, Malwarebytes, NOD32, DS4Windows and BitTorrent. I need any advice and help I can get. As I never did anything like this before. Thanks.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x370 K7

GPU: R9 380 

RAM: 16GB Trident Z RGB

PSU: EVGA 650W Gold

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

Have you tried Linux Mint, KDE Neon, and Ubuntu Budgie? Those are my favourite.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

6 minutes ago, KaiserV1 said:

Steam, Origin, Uplay, iTunes (so I can add music to my phone), CCleaner, Bvckup 2, MSI Afterburner, Malwarebytes, NOD32, DS4Windows and BitTorrent

Most of those work and for the ones that don't you could use wine.CCleaner won't work but you don't really need it,and you can use the OC in your drivers instead if MSI afterburner

My life

My fave is mint, it's really nice and seems to run on anything. I'm more or less a Linux noob beyond the basics and some light terminal stuff I don't know jack. Most stuff dosent run on Linux but Steam works that's for sure 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Generally speaking software is not compatible.

A large number of games don't have Linux ports. Some play okay (worse but not terribly) via Wine; many do not or have issues. Then a very wide range of other applications and utilities have no Linux versions.

As for installing, just create a bootable DVD/USB flash and then run the installation. Select the option that partitions your drive rather than wiping the whole thing, and that's it. You'll have working dual boot, with an option to select which to boot into.

I have 2 hard drives in my system, one win 10, one Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. 

Ubuntu is good stuff.  Most software you use in windows you can find an equivalent in Linux (not games though), but there are issues with getting drivers for graphics cards and to do things quickly you'll need to learn some commands for the terminal.  I'm not sure if it is just Ubuntu, but updating software takes a LONG TIME if you do it through the desktop software updater but goes much faster through the terminal.

Good Luck. 

If Windows is giving problems you don't have time for, Linux is going to knock you on your butt with a hard reality check. There is a learning curve that can be steep depending on distro and be prepared to use a terminal frequently.

Used Mint off and on, but prefer Win10 for the compatibility any day. Also built a Retropie machine so I'm also relearning haha.

If you're not going to use Arch Linux, you might as well not use Linux at all. :)

Spoiler

I'm dead serious. Do you think I am somebody who jokes about his Linux distros?

9 minutes ago, charrst said:

If you aren't very familiar with Linux, you may want to gradually get yourself used to it before throwing yourself in. I used Linux Mint for a while, but after it broke/refused to reinstall/kept breaking itself repeatedly, I've been using Manjaro. Of the software you mentioned, you'll be able to use Steam and BitTorrent for sure, but you probably won't be able to use the rest of it.

Yep, vouch for Mint.  It far more friendly to folks starting off in Linux.

Steam will work and most Linux distro I tried have a torrent application already on them, usually called Transmission.  Not all applications have a Linux version, but with some research you should find similar Linux applications.  There are ton of Linux guides out on the web thankfully.

What super nice about Mint it will find the GPU and chipset drivers.  Reason I use it for my folding/boinc rig.

For overclocking, at least on Nvidia drivers, the driver comes with built in overclocking and fan control ability.  You just have to do a command in terminal to unlock it.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just now, Navbryce said:

If you're not going to use Arch Linux, you might as well not use Linux at all. :)

I don't use Arch Linux or Linux at this point (stuck on a Mac) but I wouldn't use Arch Linux because I like apt-get

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, Ithanul said:

Yep, vouch for Mint.  It far more friendly to folks starting off in Linux.

Steam will work and most Linux distro I tried have a torrent application already on them, usually called Transmission.  Not all applications have a Linux version, but with some research you should find similar Linux applications.  There are ton of Linux guides out on the web thankfully.

Zorin is also good. Literally.screen.jpg

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Linux mint is a good option. If you are really concerned about privacy you should install an older version of Windows for your games.

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

Zorin is also good. Literally.

I heard good things about that one.  Yet to try it though.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

when you guys say steam works, does that mean the whole library works or does each game have to have support ? 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

I ALWAYS recommend installing VirtualBox and making a virtual machine of Linux and spending a LOT of time in it and learning it to decide if this is the move you actually want to make before dual booting or anything.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

If you want "Windows, but better" - Linux is not that. Just tighten up your Windows install.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Steam works on Linux, CCleaner, NOD32 and Malwarebytes are useless on Linux and for DS4Windows, BitTorent and MSI afterburner you can easly find alternatives. For Origin, iTunes or the Windows version of Steam you can run them under Wine or CrossOver (wich is based on Wine) (or PlayOnLinux but it is just a front end for Wine). Also as a note: elementary is updated under an "it's done when it's done" philosophy so you may wait A LOT more to get updates than Ubuntu or Mint users (however security updates arrive straight from Ubuntu repositories so you don't have to worry about that).

have a look at this chart of linux distributions. it is very large http://futurist.se/gldt/wp-content/uploads/12.09/gldt1209.png

There are a ton of novelty ones like Hana Montana linux.

There are a ton of distributions that take a debian base and add their own user interface like Mint.

I have over 10 years experience with linux desktop and my recommendation is to stay upstream as much as possible and use a distribution that has resources to provide fast security updates. Ubuntu is the best free debian based distribution. CentOS is the best free redhat based distribution. I use Ubuntu because it just works, has good performance, gives less hassles than others.

Out of your list of software, the utility tools are not required on linux.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, charrst said:

Only certain games will work. About 20% of my library is compatible.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I was going by memory on this one. I don't usually game on Linux, so I hadn't actually checked this before posting. But 76% of my games are actually compatible on Linux. Your mileage will vary, but Linux game support is clearly quite good.

2 hours ago, EposVox said:

I ALWAYS recommend installing VirtualBox and making a virtual machine of Linux and spending a LOT of time in it and learning it to decide if this is the move you actually want to make before dual booting or anything.

thanks guys, Haven't been on linux for years, will give Ubunto a go and see from there. Mint also looks interesting. Firing up a VM on the server now to play around with it. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

5 hours ago, JDE said:

I don't use Arch Linux or Linux at this point (stuck on a Mac) but I wouldn't use Arch Linux because I like apt-get

Arch uses pacman, not apt. Apt is what Debian uses (so Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, and other derivatives as well).

If you want something targeted at the less hardcore audience, I personally like Manjaro (which is Arch-based) over Ubuntu or Mint. There are definite advantages to the fixed release schedule, but I prefer rolling release and having more up-to-date packages and updates. There's nothing like trying to compile some software and realizing that multiple dependencies are available in let's say a Mint package but are too old (outdated version), so you have to go down the rabbit hole of trying to find sources for those and compiling them, and then realizing those in turn rely on newer versions of things than the current... etc. Of course if you just stick to the basics and don't do any of that, an LTS fixed release can be the least problematic and run with support for years out.

5 hours ago, charrst said:

And you think Linux is the solution to that??? If I had a dollar for every hour I've spent trying to fix an issue with a Linux machine.......

The point is, if you want an OS that "just works", please just stick with Windows.

Yup, more or less that's the life, of certain things not working, at least as a desktop operating system. Depends on your usage and needs, those. You also get to deal with cruddier GPU drivers, occasionally things like power saving modes not working, etc.

For reference, check DistroWatch to see what's popular and find some info on different distributions.

FWIW I've personally used Ubuntu, Debian (briefly, only on a server), Mint, CentOS, Fedora (briefly, only on a server), Manjaro, and I guess Puppy if you count just a little bit of that from a bootable USB back in the way. I'm not a huge Linux enthusiast, though. I've just needed it for school/work at times and then sometimes for use on older systems/laptops or to test things.

Just now, loculus said:

Arch uses pacman, not apt. Apt is what Debian uses (so Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, and other derivatives as well).

I know. I like Ubuntu/Debian/Linux Mint/etc because they have apt, not pacman

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Wow, okay. I'm starting to second guess myself now lol. Basically was I was planning to do was just game on Windows 10 and browse the internet on Linux, but I did hear about Steam working there so I thought if I could play some games on Linux then awesome. The problem I have with Windows is that it's filled with problems. I mean, I just bought a new computer and I already got the blue screen of death. Maybe I'm just unlucky, I don't know. Everyone was talking wonders about Linux so I assumed it had less problems. But it seems like even setting up Linux is gonna be difficult.. So I don't know :/ I might still use a Live cd so try it out. But I'm less sure now.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x370 K7

GPU: R9 380 

RAM: 16GB Trident Z RGB

PSU: EVGA 650W Gold

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

6 hours ago, KaiserV1 said:

Hello. I was just deciding whether to switch to Linux or not. I've been thinking about this for a while but I decided not to multiple times, but this time I feel like I want to do it for real. Windows 10 is giving me plenty of problems and I honestly don't have the patience for it. Besides, I've heard it's more private, so that's a plus. I've been looking at a few Linux distributions and I quite liked Elementary OS, mostly because of the visuals. Is it good, bad? What do you think? I know absolutely nothing about Linux so I need as much help as possible. I will need to keep W10 because I play games, so I'll have to install both in my SSD, and I don't know how to do that in the first place. Also, which programs can be used in Linux and which ones can't?

Ubuntu based distros will be a good place to start, so Elementary OS is probably a decent place to start, although I've never used it. I can recommend Ubuntu MATE if you want a more traditional desktop environment, but it's also capable of more "modern" looks. Ubuntu MATE 17.10 (out in October) should be especially good. I personally prefer KDE, but KDE isn't in as good a position for beginners on Ubuntu as some other desktop environments because KDE's app store still feels immature. With that said, KDE Neon and Kubuntu are worth looking at. Linux Mint is quite popular and is based on Ubuntu, though I've been seeing a lot of people having trouble with installing it lately.

6 hours ago, KaiserV1 said:

These are the ones I use: Steam, Origin, Uplay, iTunes (so I can add music to my phone), CCleaner, Bvckup 2, MSI Afterburner, Malwarebytes, NOD32, DS4Windows and BitTorrent. I need any advice and help I can get. As I never did anything like this before. Thanks.

You can get Steam, but not Origin, Uplay or iTunes. At least, not natively, so maybe through Wine. iTunes has a good store, but Apple loves to try to trap you in their walled garden, so I'd advise moving away from iTunes anyway. If you use an iPhone, that will complicate things. I think there is some software for managing iDevices, but it's been too long since I used any. Last time I tried to install iTunes through Wine (iTunes 12?), it didn't work. Android has better Linux integration anyway if you use KDE Connect. If you need a replacement music player, try Clementine, Banshee or Rhythmbox. Foobar2000 is the best music player out there and it works well through Wine if you do a portable foobar2000 installation.

You don't need any cleaners or anti-malware/virus software for Linux. Cleaners are still mostly unnecessary in Windows and most of any perceived benefit from registry cleanup is placebo. I know Linux has some software for DualShock 4 controllers, but I know nothing about it. You should use Transmission or qBittorrent instead of BitTorrent and that goes for Windows as well. Lighter, no ads, still perfectly functional. qBittorrent looks more like BitTorrent, but Transmission takes up less RAM (good if you keep it running in the background).

If you game on Windows a lot after installing Linux, you'll probably end up moving back to Windows whether you want to use Windows or not.

11 hours ago, KaiserV1 said:

Wow, okay. I'm starting to second guess myself now lol. Basically was I was planning to do was just game on Windows 10 and browse the internet on Linux, but I did hear about Steam working there so I thought if I could play some games on Linux then awesome. The problem I have with Windows is that it's filled with problems. I mean, I just bought a new computer and I already got the blue screen of death. Maybe I'm just unlucky, I don't know. Everyone was talking wonders about Linux so I assumed it had less problems. But it seems like even setting up Linux is gonna be difficult.. So I don't know :/ I might still use a Live cd so try it out. But I'm less sure now.

The annoying part of Linux Steam is that you'll lose a good part of your game library as they are not compatible, but you can install a "second" Steam using wine to access some (not all) of your Windows only games (I was able to lunch Skyrim, PoE (haven't tried since 3.0 patch) using Steam on wine but more recent games like Fallout 4 and GTA5 wont work since they use newer features). I've also linked my wine steam library to be the same as my windows' (dual-boot) library but it's been acting up since windows is currently locking this partition...

I use Manjaro (xfce version, xfce is modular, fairly lightweight and simple) and like it a lot, it's pretty newbie friendly and the community is usually friendly and helpful to. Make sure to choose a distribution that has a good base and documentation so you can get help when you need it. Different flavors for different goals, you just need to find what your priorities are. As mentionned before, get some virtual machines running (VirtualBox works well and it's easy to use) and have some fun before wiping your hard drive.

The Ubuntu family is usually a good place to start if you like gaming as Steam is made to work best with that distro (dependencies) and the community is very large due to its popularity (including all of the Ubuntu based distros). One thing to note about Linux Mint is that, unless they changed it recently, it wont update your kernel automatically meaning you wont get the latest security patches unless you update it manually. Otherwise Linux Mint (I used the cinnamon version in the past) works well and is very easy for first time linux users.

Also, you can't really come to Linux expecting that everything will be the same (app wise), not all apps are available but most have replacement and some are better to.

edit: One advantage of using Linux is that often you will might feel like you just became hackerman just for completing the simplest mondane tasks, it brings excitement back to your daily computer use.