Dual Gigabit Ethernet NIC

chris cooper

Hi Guys

Can anyone recommend a dual gigabit network that support LACP.  My switches all support link aggregation.  

I am looking for a card that I can install in my desktop and NAS that will allow for 2000mbps transfers between my PC and NAS.  Essentially I do most of the "downloading" and then copy it on to the NAS for the rest of the house.   I have in fact looking in to 10gbe but it would mean I need to upgrade my switches etc.  Both my desktop and NAS use Raid 5/Raid 0 so the bottleneck currently is the network.

I run Windows 10 pro on my desktop and Windows 2008 R2 on my NAS

The only other thing I was thinking was upgrading the NAS to Windows Server 2012? and using SMB 3.0 which I understand uses all available connections - Excuse me if I sound out of touch - I have been out of the professional I.T. for sometime.  The last time I was involved in networking professionally - 100mbps was cutting edge!

I am also looking for an affordable router that can support 200 up/200 down broadband - Currently I am using a router that only has a 100mpbs WAN port.  - Possibly something that supports a 4G failover.

Thanks for you help

Chris.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.8ghz | Motherboard: GIGABYTE Gaming Z270XP-SLI | Graphics Card: AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 250GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe | 2 x Seagate 1TB [raid1] - overflow stuff | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb [raid0] - games | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Case: Corsair 400C | Cooling: Kraken x62 AIO | 3 x Corsair AF140 | 1x Noctua  NF-F12 | SoundSoundblaster Zx through  KRK Rokit G5 monitors 

To be updated... when I get time

Many people make this mistake that LACP will double the speed, it won't do that to a single client (like PC to NAS) it is designed for multiple different streams, in order to see a bandwidth bump you will need 10gBe networking or direct 10gbe between PC and NAS

That's not how LACP works. It would allow you to have 2 1000Mbps transfers going at once but not 2000Mbps in a single session/transfer. 

SMB 3.0 Multichannel would indeed achieve what you want. 

Ahhhh.. Ok - seems I haven't done my research and have forgotten a lot - Back to the drawing board I feel.  I do feel kind of silly now, should have know better :).  

As I said I am out of touch - I was just reading a Cisco document on LACP and answered my own question.

Don't get me wrong we are "maxing" out the GBE but... you know.

Cheers Guys! x

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700k @ 4.8ghz | Motherboard: GIGABYTE Gaming Z270XP-SLI | Graphics Card: AORUS GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 250GB 960 Evo PCIe NVMe | 2 x Seagate 1TB [raid1] - overflow stuff | 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb [raid0] - games | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Case: Corsair 400C | Cooling: Kraken x62 AIO | 3 x Corsair AF140 | 1x Noctua  NF-F12 | SoundSoundblaster Zx through  KRK Rokit G5 monitors 

13 minutes ago, chris cooper said:

Ahhhh.. Ok - seems I haven't done my research and have forgotten a lot - Back to the drawing board I feel.  I do feel kind of silly now, should have know better :).  

As I said I am out of touch - I was just reading a Cisco document on LACP and answered my own question.

Don't get me wrong we are "maxing" out the GBE but... you know.

Cheers Guys! x

If you just need a direct connection between the server and one PC, you could look at using Asus's new 10GbE NIC that's around $100. Switches are still expensive as hell, so doing anything other than direct connects is going to be over $1k unfortunately. There's also 10GbE SFP+, but the lack of universal compatibility, short and relatively expensive cables and so on kind of make it more of a pain than its worth IMO. 

If you move to a version of Windows Server that supports SMB 3.0 Multichannel, then multi-port gigabit NICs should allow greater than 1Gbps in single sessions. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you just need a direct connection between the server and one PC, you could look at using Asus's new 10GbE NIC that's around $100. Switches are still expensive as hell, so doing anything other than direct connects is going to be over $1k unfortunately. There's also 10GbE SFP+, but the lack of universal compatibility, short and relatively expensive cables and so on kind of make it more of a pain than its worth IMO. 

If you move to a version of Windows Server that supports SMB 3.0 Multichannel, then multi-port gigabit NICs should allow greater than 1Gbps in single sessions. 

Ok - Thanks - I will look into it :) 

Again thanks for all the information.  

On 8/9/2017 at 4:13 PM, Snipergod87 said:

Many people make this mistake that LACP will double the speed, it won't do that to a single client (like PC to NAS) it is designed for multiple different streams, in order to see a bandwidth bump you will need 10gBe networking or direct 10gbe between PC and NAS

On 8/9/2017 at 4:14 PM, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's not how LACP works. It would allow you to have 2 1000Mbps transfers going at once but not 2000Mbps in a single session/transfer. 

SMB 3.0 Multichannel would indeed achieve what you want. 

Sigh.... im running dual nic right now with double the bandwidth . It does work, just tricky to setup. 2gbiperf.thumb.gif.ed6e5fcc746e3ce86d1ab863286f6136.gif

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

On 8/11/2017 at 3:00 AM, ltguy said:

Sigh.... im running dual nic right now with double the bandwidth . It does work, just tricky to setup. 2gbiperf.thumb.gif.ed6e5fcc746e3ce86d1ab863286f6136.gif

Hey man, is that using SMB 3.0

With Windows and Multichanne what you are planing is quite easy.

Just buy 2 used Intel Dual port cards of ebay for like 20$ each and slap them in.

After that you might need to enable multichannel in PowerShell and its done. there are quite a few guides for it online.

I tried Multichannel recently with a windows client and a FreeNas server and even that was quite easy.

On 8/13/2017 at 2:55 PM, chris cooper said:

Hey man, is that using SMB 3.0

This is 2 ubuntu 16.04 machines... so i'm going to say no, but i'm not an expert on SMB 3.0. I have another dual nic coming for my windows machine, it'll be here wednesday, so i'll post results then.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/