Paris is considering eSports for the 2024 Olympics

39 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's an interesting new "spectacle" no doubt, but the term "esports" was just terrible from the start.

It's always baffled me too.  It's not that I don't think it's not a professional field (Even there's a lot of team train wrecks with sponsors and everything else.) but, uhh, hrm... How do I put this?

Poker.  People, for reasons that I don't get, LOVE watching people play poker.  Professional poker is BROADCAST on traditional sports networks and such.  Cool, good, but no one tried to call it 'Card Sports' they just called it 'Professional Poker'.

38 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_1948_Summer_Olympics

Oh, well now. But to the IOC's credit:

However the other points still need to be considered.

The art competitions included multiple subcategories for each of the five artistic categories.[2] The judges declined to award any medals for dramatic works in literature, and no gold medals in another five subcategories.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

21 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I have mix feelings, I think it is a cool idea for exposure and as a gamer I like it.

But I also think it is not needed, ESL and Riot Games tournaments are very big, and MLG is also still doing well. I think its fine it is its separate thing.

Honestly I feel Riot Games has moved the esports industry and made great strides in making it a solid spectator "sport" (I don't know what work to use)

I feel it is an injustice to include esports (et al) in competitions in physical human strength, speed, visual acuity, and endurance.

There's something to be said about having a medal that means "Fastest human being on earth, 2017" or "strongest man in the world, 2017"

You should understand that I'm not even a big fan of TEAM sports in the olys. why not have navel battles between nations like they used to?

...wait i guess they call that war... meh. I'll bet on 'murica for "Best Navy, 2017"

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

35 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I don't really watch Summer Olympics much, I'm a winter Olympics fan. I love hockey.... However, any video hockey game lacks the tense moments you get off a real sport.

I think adding a Formula Race would be better use of adding sports to the Olympics rather than anything graphically rendered.

Also.. it's wired that people would rather watch a bunch of nerds on PCs play StarCraft or LL, or CSGO against each other than anything else...

I'd you like playing a sport often you enjoy watching that sport over others. The same logic applies to why people like to watch games.

So in one moment you are watching physical feats and people pushing limits of what humans can do then all of a sudden you are watching terrorist getting shot in the head. 

Even though I used to be in esports (WOT) I still dont consider it a sport. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

then all of a sudden you are watching terrorist getting shot in the head. 

You say that like it's a bad thing...

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

With how paranoid the olympics is with their name and ip, CAN this be reasonably expected to work? How long until the olympics e-sport entity believes it should be the only one to broadcast that games content?

Lets play connect the dots!

::::::::::

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

So in one moment you are watching physical feats and people pushing limits of what humans can do then all of a sudden you are watching terrorist getting shot in the head. 

Even though I used to be in esports (WOT) I still dont consider it a sport. 

I mean people often push the limits of the human body while playing video games professionally. Just usually not physically. Mostly reaction time and hand eye coordination.

The "some countries would be at a disadvantage because they have poor funding and bad internet infrastructure" is invalid. The South African ski team still practices on their expensive skis in foreign countries when they want to compete (an example)

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

4 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

The "some countries would be at a disadvantage because they have poor funding and bad internet infrastructure" is invalid. The South African ski team still practices on their expensive skis in foreign countries when they want to compete (an example)

Yes but you don't need that to actually develop or hone in any skills. Does it help you refine them? Yes. Do you need it? No. I would argue the same with PC gaming. I'm sure most, if not all, of the top players didn't start by using $5000 PCs and 144Hz monitors. They used whatever they had and took the time to develop their skills that are independent of how well their hardware works.

And also, if the athletes have a company sponsoring them, the company is likely to give them products to use.

EDIT: You also gave a fairly developed country as an example. Try something like South Sudan.

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

I mean people often push the limits of the human body while playing video games professionally. Just usually not physically. Mostly reaction time and hand eye coordination.

There are plenty of real sports that push the limits in terms of reaction time and hand eye coordination way more than video games. Also not all games are GSGO that requires lightning fast reflexes. Most primarily require strategy.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

They used whatever they had and took the time to develop their skills that are independent of how well their hardware works.

Right, because no esports competitor has ever said, "I can't use this, it's just too laggy..."

System specs:

What the hell?

Why all the hate?

Videogames 4 life...

Groomlake Authority

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

There are plenty of real sports that push the limits in terms of reaction time and hand eye coordination way more than video games. Also not all games are GSGO that requires lightning fast reflexes. Most primarily require strategy.

that like saying tennis pushes the human limits more than badminton so we shouldnt have badminton

30 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

I just can't get into it. It's like ... you have gold medals being given to track and field competitors, and then gold medals to people pretending to be track and field competitors.

like MOH or Purple Heart recipients in the Air Force's UAV department. It just ain't right.

They would likely have games like cs:go and Dota. They aren't going to have games that are emulating real sports so idk how that analogy makes any sense. You make it seem like the people who play video games professional don't put tremendous time and effort into honing their skills. I mean they shouldn't be written off like you are as some people playing a video game because they try harder than most people give them credit for.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

that like saying tennis pushes the human limits more than badminton so we shouldnt have badminton

That wasnt my argument. Where did I say we shouldnt have esports because other sports push limits further? We should have esports because its not a sport. Period.

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Ok then tell me why curling is a sport in the Olympics when it doesn't really push the limits of the human body? They basically mop a ice rink while a metal object is gliding down a track.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

That wasnt my argument. Where did I say we shouldnt have esports because other sports push limits further? We should have esports because its not a sport. Period.

what makes something like rifle shooting a sport but some thing like csgo not a sport. in csgo you have to have precise aim like with rifle shooting and you even move more have fast reaction speeds and teamwork

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes but you don't need that to actually develop or hone in any skills. Does it help you refine them? Yes. Do you need it? No. I would argue the same with PC gaming. I'm sure most, if not all, of the top players didn't start by using $5000 PCs and 144Hz monitors. They used whatever they had and took the time to develop their skills that are independent of how well their hardware works.

And also, if the athletes have a company sponsoring them, the company is likely to give them products to use.

EDIT: You also gave a fairly developed country as an example. Try something like South Sudan.

Many countries just pick people who show athletic talent and ambition in a sport and develop their skills in that sport, even the U.S.. The Olympic training staff finds people who have no experience at recruiting events, and develops them from there. Think about how many people naturally grew up doing Luge, bobsleigh, or ski jumping. Very few, so the Olympics staff find people to try and it and work them from there.

So in the case of esports, it wouldn't necessarily be any different if a country acquired PC's and had trials for people who had little to know gaming experience, and took those who were promising.

My South Africa reference was of course to emphasize a lack of snow, not necessarily country development.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

They would likely have games like cs:go and Dota. They aren't going to have games that are emulating real sports so idk how that analogy makes any sense. You make it seem like the people who play video games professional don't put tremendous time and effort into honing their skills. I mean they shouldn't be written off like you are as some people playing a video game because they try harder than most people give them credit for.

tell me where absolute peak physical human conditioning comes into play in esports...?

this is the freaking OLYMPICS.

System specs:

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

How do you define a sport? Because one classical definition is anything done for fun.

Ehhh... and what game would they play? 50$ says it's league of legends, which I find depressingly boring to watch - and which is completely incomprehensible for someone who has never played a multiplayer videogame in their life. Every other sport in the olympics is pretty self explanatory, at least to the point where the audience has some idea what's going on even if they've never played that sport themselves.

What will they play 16 years from now? I don't think the olympic model fits esports at all. Athletics have been around for centuries, even the least conventional sports like ping-pong and curling have quite some history and seem like they're here to stay. Videogames on the other hand come in and go out of fashion. 15 years ago Quake 3 was all the rage, now there almost isn't an audience for it anymore. They can't change game every 4 years, can they?

Leave esports to their own dedicated tournaments, it's not like the big ones need a boost anyway. People who care still get amazing games very often, and unlike "conventional" sports the players don't even need to be in the same place to compete.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

tell me where absolute peak physical human conditioning comes into play in esports...?

this is the freaking OLYMPICS.

where does peak physical condition come into play with rifle shooting, dressage, etc etc

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Olympic games do not necessarily require a commercial product to do. Using an eSports game does require a commercial product and so it would be a huge advertisement for said product.

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Great point, never thought of that. You'd basically be giving LoL or DOTA 2 or CS:GO or whatever a massive, worldwide, free ad campaign. It wouldn't be fair to all the other game makers. 

Thats... debatable.  whatever suits the athletes wear are already a free advertisement for various companies like Underarmor, and Nike.
http://www.investors.com/news/how-under-armour-hopes-to-steal-nikes-thunder-at-the-rio-olympics/

Same thing with other equipment that is completely mandatory, like a Bow for archery, and sleds for bobsledding.