FCC determining US IPs don't have to provide hardline?

36 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

The agreement was for 25 years. Its been 25 years, but now Comcast owns us. None of the other cable providers in the cities around us seem interested in wiring us up. Also some Cities signed a 100 year exclusive rights agreements. 

The question is how much of that is clout of Comcast and how much was the "economic stimulus" the leadership could garner for themselves? A service provider has no power on its own. Comcast/TWC and AT&T only have what clout they do because of DECADES of the state playing favorites and protecting cronyist concerns. All the way back to the telegraph, heck further back to the railroads. The reason the problem is so bad is because the problem got started almost two hundred years ago. When the state decided that competing with foreign industrial powers was more important than the property rights and contracts of its citizenry.

26 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

The question is how much of that is clout of Comcast and how much was the "economic stimulus" the leadership could garner for themselves? A service provider has no power on its own. Comcast/TWC and AT&T only have what clout they do because of DECADES of the state playing favorites and protecting cronyist concerns. All the way back to the telegraph, heck further back to the railroads. The reason the problem is so bad is because the problem got started almost two hundred years ago. When the state decided that competing with foreign industrial powers was more important than the property rights and contracts of its citizenry.

If it provides more jobs, Michgian tends not to get in the way. Amazon got a nice sized tax break to build a warehouse here in Romulus. Plus the city has applied for grants to do some work to some city owned buildings so they can help bring some businesses in. Plus the administration who signed that agreement for the most part is no longer in power, plus the corrupt piece of shit mayor we had, aslo is no longer in power. I really have a feeling that if any provider wanted to come in to the city they could. I think its more about the cost of wiring up the city. I mean fiber and Nodes and copper isnt cheap on that scale. Plus due to the fact people keep moving out of the city and none of the millage proposals get pasted (millage is part of the property tax, pays for road work and schools and shit, under city charter and stuff we get to decided if they can collect extra funds) the city is hurting for money, so they are not really in a postion to offer a good tax incentive.  Im hoping with the Amazon warehouse we get something better. Like maybe some Fiber. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Lol. Rekt. 

10 up, 1 down? You mean 10 down, 1 up? 

ADSL 1.5+ speeds.... From 10 years ago with obligatory 20GB data cap and $20 per 5GB data thereafter. 

We have Wireless Internet and VoIP services in NZ for the rural community, but for $80-120NZD you get 4G LTE speeds with 120GB of data, or if you're using a wireless ISP such as Greenfields, you can get 100mb down and 100mb up with unlimited data. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

If it provides more jobs, Michgian tends not to get in the way. Amazon got a nice sized tax break to build a warehouse here in Romulus. Plus the city has applied for grants to do some work to some city owned buildings so they can help bring some businesses in. Plus the administration who signed that agreement for the most part is no longer in power, plus the corrupt piece of shit mayor we had, aslo is no longer in power. I really have a feeling that if any provider wanted to come in to the city they could. I think its more about the cost of wiring up the city. I mean fiber and Nodes and copper isnt cheap on that scale. Plus due to the fact people keep moving out of the city and none of the millage proposals get pasted (millage is part of the property tax, pays for road work and schools and shit, under city charter and stuff we get to decided if they can collect extra funds) the city is hurting for money, so they are not really in a postion to offer a good tax incentive.  Im hoping with the Amazon warehouse we get something better. Like maybe some Fiber. 

Depends on the area, if there are customers to be served they'd come in. Depending on the part of michigan there may be concerns over utilization, sanctity of infrastructure, stability of local government. Makes an investment iffy. Might be easier to get local businesses and neighborhoods to band together and go to a provider and see about co-opping a backhaul and node. It doesn't take much to get the ball rolling

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

Lol. Rekt. 

10 up, 1 down? You mean 10 down, 1 up? 

ADSL 1.5+ speeds.... From 10 years ago with obligatory 20GB data cap and $20 per 5GB data thereafter. 

We have Wireless Internet and VoIP services in NZ for the rural community, but for $80-120NZD you get 4G LTE speeds with 120GB of data, or if you're using a wireless ISP such as Greenfields, you can get 100mb down and 50mb up with unlimited data. 

Careful there, Moose says that can't possibly work for those rural areas. It's like the roads in an AnCap community, they must just spontaneously combust if they were ever to exist.

Greenfields, is that fixed wireless or UFB?

53 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

Careful there, Moose says that can't possibly work for those rural areas. It's like the roads in an AnCap community, they must just spontaneously combust if they were ever to exist.

Greenfields, is that fixed wireless or UFB?

They offer both, but their main service is fixed wireless at speeds of up to 100/100 for consumer. Most are 50/50 which allows for up to 40 subscribers per antenna if you provision 2x (1Gb per antenna, 4 antennas per tower). 

I get 200 down 10 up and let me tell you how hard it is to stream my weekly YouTube live streams and upload videos. I pay $160/month for that and one TV and my data cap is 1tb/month. Comcast has exclusive rights to my area and unless I want to pay $520/month plus a $2000 installation fee, I can't get fiber from them. FiOS offers 940up/880down + TV for 129.99+tax in the next town over, but Comcast blocked them.from.coming in.

53 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Um, I think you meant 200 down, 10 up.

Thanks sorry was super tired this morning!