FCC determining US IPs don't have to provide hardline?

Uh. What can you not do on 10Mb that is absolutely necessary?

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Just as an aside until 2015 broadband was defined as 4Mbps down and 1 up. It was then changed to 25 down and 4 up. But this is specificially, so far as I can tell about mobile networks, it sets 10 down and 1 up as qualifying as broadband coverage from a mobile network, I don't see from my source whether it changes the hardline requirement from 25/4, does someone have a more direct quotation?

On the plus side, while this may cripple the internet for pretty much everyone, it would make Google Fibre's low latency/high bandwidth line-of-sight wireless systems compatible with the FCC's requirements.

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

be prepared for the future is the first thing that springs to my mind.  It's just like asking 20 years ago what can you not do on 56.6k that is absolutely necessary?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Jrock said:

I can get 1Gb/1Gb fiber from Rogers Business for like $1200 a month(unlimited IP's)

It's not bad.

Or 1Gb/50Mb cable with a dynamic ip for like $200 a month

Ouch.  I can't get it in my specific area yet - as they're still running the fiber - but Allo is offering 1Gb/1Gb for $95/mo, no data cap.  Or are you talking only business pricing?

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

While I'm looking forward to getting 1Gb fiber, my 12Mb/768Kb currently does everything I need it to.  The only downside to that speed is when I'm downloading something and it saturates my bandwidth, preventing me from browsing.  The biggest issue is the price, which is the primary reason I'm switching once fiber becomes available.

woah. Another reason to NOT move stateside (DAMMIT)

Seriously though. I get more speed on my freakin' phone from a mobile carrier!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Now I'm pissed.

Google had already pissed me off. But this, this is something else.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

tbh, it makes sense to not specify that they must build infrastructure of type A or type B, etc.  A good problem description does not imply a solution.

What they do need to do however is specify clearly what level of service must be supplied, regardless of how they decide to achieve that.  Ie, mandate certain minimum speeds, rules about how many users should be able to access simultaneously without issues, etc. and I think we all know that's not happening, or at least not properly, so this will end up just being the disaster everyone is expecting.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I find this amusing... I have 100/50 and live in South Africa with 1000/1000 possible with some providers

1 hour ago, r3d3mpt10n said:

I find this amusing... I have 100/50 and live in South Africa with 1000/1000 possible with some providers

While I can't get more then 60/10 which I would not even get judging by the fact I'm paying for 30/5 and getting 15/1 at max, without spending $4000 on getting hooked on the fiber connection that goes like 3m from my door. Yay

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

Just as an aside until 2015 broadband was defined as 4Mbps down and 1 up. It was then changed to 25 down and 4 up. But this is specificially, so far as I can tell about mobile networks, it sets 10 down and 1 up as qualifying as broadband coverage from a mobile network, I don't see from my source whether it changes the hardline requirement from 25/4, does someone have a more direct quotation?

I believe in the article they talk about removing the requirement to have hardline and data and just let it be one or the other.

Couple that with what the FCC considers "covered" for an area and it can be pretty nasty. Last time I checked they said that if ONE home in an entire ZIP CODE was covered the whole area was considered "covered"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I live in a place where all plans are symmetric. 50 up/50 down, 80 up/80 down, 100 up/100 down. Basically, thats all the plans of ISPs here. Noone provides less than 50 and more than 100.

It was always a mystery to me, why in so many places ISPs provide asymmetric link?

Sorry for bad Ingrish

11 hours ago, themctipers said:

200/10 for $90 (actually 100/10 but they give me x2 because they're nice apparently) 

1gb here starts at $90 unlocked ..

my 100/10 goes up to about 190/12 while downtime(2am etc)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

I believe in the article they talk about removing the requirement to have hardline and data and just let it be one or the other.

Couple that with what the FCC considers "covered" for an area and it can be pretty nasty. Last time I checked they said that if ONE home in an entire ZIP CODE was covered the whole area was considered "covered"

But they didn't say that hardline's speed requirement was changing. Only that one or the other would suffice. 25/4 hardline or 10/1 mobile. And this is more about where it is being pushed out new than where it is already provisioned. The speed you can get with mobile HERE is already a lot higher than that. But in rural areas, where they are talking about, that speed from either source is hard to come by. But this change in regulation will allow mobile to compete with hardline for infrastructure handouts, make home internet a dedicated competing product from mobile, and make bigger infrastructure investment more attractive, to both hardline and mobile. Mobile because they have a new competitive product to focus on, hardline to prevent mobile providers from taking over new areas and earning subsidies that they want.

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

be prepared for the future is the first thing that springs to my mind.  It's just like asking 20 years ago what can you not do on 56.6k that is absolutely necessary?

Well considering the people they are talking about are still relegated to dial up or satellite... I think 10/1 is a healthy improvement.

3 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

But they didn't say that hardline's speed requirement was changing. Only that one or the other would suffice. 25/4 hardline or 10/1 mobile. And this is more about where it is being pushed out new than where it is already provisioned. The speed you can get with mobile HERE is already a lot higher than that. But in rural areas, where they are talking about, that speed from either source is hard to come by. But this change in regulation will allow mobile to compete with hardline for infrastructure handouts, make home internet a dedicated competing product from mobile, and make bigger infrastructure investment more attractive, to both hardline and mobile. Mobile because they have a new competitive product to focus on, hardline to prevent mobile providers from taking over new areas and earning subsidies that they want.

What worries me is the consolidation. Sprint and Charter are being looked at for a possible merger which will mean less competition in the space and if the FCC considers anything with a half mile of the other to be "competition", I'm worried it will result in a halt of expansion and investment at a much greater rate. My biggest concern is if they say "mobile OR hardline" then the companies will see it as "if A exists, why bother with the other?" and not expand and compete less in an area, instead of more. It's all about getting money with the least amount of effort and if that means not competing and expanding involves spending money, then why bother.

Look at Tennessee recently, politicians were caught letting AT&T and others literally write a law against Google Fiber and then just blindly trying to pass that bill. They don't want competition and will do whatever to stop that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

21 minutes ago, Denis Rakhmanov said:

I live in a place where all plans are symmetric. 50 up/50 down, 80 up/80 down, 100 up/100 down. Basically, thats all the plans of ISPs here. Noone provides less than 50 and more than 100.

It was always a mystery to me, why in so many places ISPs provide asymmetric link?

Because most places dont have fiber. Cable internet by design is not symmetrical. While Cable Labs is working on a Full Duplex version of DOCSIS 3.1, it will be a while before its out. Comcast currently can only provide something like a max of 35Mbps on upload speeds. And DSL is a dead technology. So thats where we are at. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

46 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What worries me is the consolidation. Sprint and Charter are being looked at for a possible merger which will mean less competition in the space and if the FCC considers anything with a half mile of the other to be "competition", I'm worried it will result in a halt of expansion and investment at a much greater rate. My biggest concern is if they say "mobile OR hardline" then the companies will see it as "if A exists, why bother with the other?" and not expand and compete less in an area, instead of more. It's all about getting money with the least amount of effort and if that means not competing and expanding involves spending money, then why bother.

Look at Tennessee recently, politicians were caught letting AT&T and others literally write a law against Google Fiber and then just blindly trying to pass that bill. They don't want competition and will do whatever to stop that.

They aren't competing now. And Mobile already is pushing everywhere, this gives them an avenue to compete for subsidies in rural areas that established ISPs have been monopolizing but not capitalizing on. Mergers don't concern me, the unlevel playing field is a bigger issue than consolidation. Do not forget this is specifically aimed at pushing access to those that don't have it. It doesn't effect urban areas with established internet access. Half a mile is fallacious. If it is by Zip code that is dictated by property and addresses, Not size or distance.

That is an argument for getting state interference out of the system entirely. Not an argument for tweaking which favorites get which handouts. Do not forget that Google Fiber leases dark fiber, they don't currently lay their own backbone. They only lay from backbone to node. Node to property is covered by the subscriber

I'm glad that I learned that my town now has Gigabit internet available town wide (In Mississippi of all places) before hearing about this news. Guess that is a perk of living in a college town.

4 hours ago, Jrock said:

my 100/10 goes up to about 190/12 while downtime(2am etc)

ree

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

Well considering the people they are talking about are still relegated to dial up or satellite... I think 10/1 is a healthy improvement.

But will it be enough in 10 years?  And if isps dont have to maintain a physical connection what happens if mobile technology doesn't turn out to be good enough?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

With the direction current ISPs and the FCC are heading, I foresee WISPs being the future considering how cheap bandwidth and hardware is these days.

-KuJoe

13 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

With the direction current ISPs and the FCC are heading, I foresee WISPs being the future considering how cheap bandwidth and hardware is these days.

Maybe, but as soon as you want to use something latency sensitive you are basically screwed... ;)

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Maybe, but as soon as you want to use something latency sensitive you are basically screwed... ;)

It all depends, the PTP stuff is pretty awesome compared to consumer grade hardware.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

It all depends, the PTP stuff is pretty awesome compared to consumer grade hardware.

I doubt it depends on anything, if its wireless it will be horrendous for latency sensitive stuff. Top it off with the fact that in most(if not all) cases the latency will be inconsistent which worsens the situation even more.