Threadripper 1950X vs Epyc 7401P?

Hello, 
I am planint to build new PC and looking at CPU-s.
I do a lot of 3d work (zbrush, Mari, Maya, Houdini, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Topogun 2, 3D coat, Knald, AE and Photoshop). 

But i also like to game time to time with max settings.
I was looking at Epyc CPU and also Threadripper 1950X
kGeXqlU.png
I am confused would i be able to game with max settings without any slowdowns or hickups with Epic?
What is difference in Base, All and Max clock speeds?
Can i clock the EPYC also to 3.0 or more?
Is there good cooler available for that so i wont fry my cpu?
Can i use regular graphics cards in server motherboard?
(I currently have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (3072 MB) )
Where can i see what is the core speed?
Or is all core total 2.0 or 2.8 or 3.0?

4 minutes ago, ISUther said:

Hello, 
I do a lot of 3d work (zbrush, Mari, Maya, Houdini, Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Topogun 2, 3D coat, Knald, AE and Photoshop). 

kGeXqlU.png
I am confused would i be able to game with max settings without any slowdowns or hickups with Epic?

You won't need EPYC :) that's for servers

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

If you can wait there is a decent chance people may be able to figure out how to use EPYC on mainstream overclocking boards, if that is the case you could pretty easily get a higher clock (perhaps set up a mode where some cores are disabled but you OC it higher)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

TR 1950x is probably your best bet.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

As far as i know Yelling is when using caps lock. 

Epyc :

* 2.8 Ghz is the frequency that all cores can achieve 24/7 , for long periods of time.

* If the cores are not used heavily, they'll go down to base frequency of 2 Ghz.

* 3Ghz (the value in the max column) is the frequency that can be reached if only up to 12 cores (out of whatever many cores the cpu has) are used heavily.

Because there's more cores but the cpu still can't be allowed to produce a lot of heat, the frequencies for each core on EPYC processors are lower compared to Threadripper.

Games usually use a reduced number of cores - most don't use more than 6..8 - so they'll work better with higher frequency cores, better to go with threadripper.

EPYC boards will usually be more expensive, since there's more memory slots and fancier server stuff like SAS connectors and dual 10gbps ethernet. For ex. a Supremicro board I saw starts from $550... and their bioses may force you to use more expensive Registered ECC DDR4 memory as well.

Threadripper boards will cost from around $340 (some Asrock board, Taichi I think) and they'll work with cheaper regular or ECC DDR4.

Yup, if you really need a such powerful CPU, the Threadripper will be a better choice. It has higher clock speeds so it will perform better in games ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Yeah but my thing is that my main focus is not games but 3D
For example Houdini uses Mantra render engine. And it uses CPU cores. More is better
zbrush also uses CPU power but got no info how much. 
This is why i started to wonder Threadripper or Epyc as i do like to play PC games also.
Here is my work examples:
https://tanel.artstation.com/

The cores in the EPYC you chose are not same speed as the cores in threadripper due to running at lower frequencies.

So you could say it's more ike comparing a 16 core 32 thread Threadripper  to a 20 core / 40 core "threadripper" - is it worth maybe 10-20% more speed in rendering for hundreds of dollars more in parts?

Probably not, my recommendation would be to go with threadripper.

Unless you have the budget to go with a dual cpu motherboard and buy now a single EPYC 7451, and ubuy 2nd one later.

39 minutes ago, ISUther said:

Hello, 

kGeXqlU.png

1950x is the true monster right now for price 

Epyc is aimed at more corporate, server use

TR would be a better use of your money, especially the 1950X.

Thank you all for help and replies. 
This forum is one best one i have found. 
People are active and friendly and try to help. Thank you all!

• 2 months later...

Go with 1950x because Mantra Flip and Pyro are very well threaded yes, but lots of other operators are not well threaded and still rely on high clock speeds, solid solver and bullet sim also doesn't thread well at all. If you wrangle a lot, it threads reasonably well but that also depends how you construct your code. I have 1950X and never been happier

If you plan on doing any gaming, don’t buy Epyc. The core clocks are so low that single threaded performance would suffer pretty bad.

Main System-

Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PCMR Limited Edition

Motherboard: Asus X570 Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080Ti Strix OC

RAM: 4x16GB (64GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 @ 3600MHz/C16

Storage: 1x Samsung 970 Evo 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD (OS), 4x Samsung 860 Evo 2TB SATA SSD

PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 1000

Cooling: Custom Loop, EKWB Quantum Velocity Copper/Plexi w/ D-RGB Upgrade Kit and Black Frame, EKWB Quantum Vector Strix Nickel/Acetal D-RGB w/ EKWB Strix Backplate in Black, Watercool MO-RA3 420 LT (180-200mm Fan Mount, Classic Black Grill High Version, Wall Mounting Bracket, Heatkiller Tube Mounting Bracket, PCIe Slot Terminal Adapter), Heatkiller Tube 200 w/ EKWB D5 PWM Pump, Bitspower Fittings, 6x EKWB Vardar X3M D-RGB 120mm Fans, 4x Noctua NF-A20 Chromax 200mm Fans, EKWB ZMT Tubing, EKWB HD-PETG Tubing

ITX System-

Case: NCase M1 V6.1

Motherboard: Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Impact 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Founders Edition

RAM: 2x16GB (32GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo @ 3600MHz/C16

Storage: 1x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB NVMe m.2 SSD (OS), 1x Samsung 860 Evo 2TB m.2 SSD (Storage)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 GM (SFX)

Cooling: Custom Loop, Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro Black Copper (AM4), Watercool Heatkiller IV RTX 2080Ti Acetal Nickel w/ Black Backplate, 2x XSPC TX240 Radiators, Iceman Cooling Ice P5 Pump/Reservoir Combo, Bitspower Fittings, EKWB ZMT Tubing

I'd take the 1950x to stay off server hardware and get the higher single core performance. The 1950x will probably game comfortably at between 60 and 100fps. That Epyc chip at sub 3ghz will be next to useless for gaming. Also I doubt very many programs will use more than 16 cores and 32 threads anyways.  

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

The Threadripper has 2/3 the cores of the Epyc, so to match it in multithreaded workloads, the Threadripper has to clock 3/2 as high. So the Epyc at it's 2.0 GHz base is equivalent to the Threadripper at 3.0 GHz. The Epyc at 2.8 GHz boost is equivalent to the Threadripper at 4.2 GHz.

So basically, the 1950X is more or less as fast as the 7401P in pure multithreaded workloads, and much faster in single threaded or lightly threaded workloads (like gaming). And the 1950X can be overclocked to about 4 GHz.

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

Thank you all for feedback. 
This is what offer i got.
And currently i am confused about ram. How much would i loose if i do not take 3200 DDR4 ram and take something like 2400 DDR4)
I am aiming for 128 gb DDR 4
This is offer i got: 
CPU - AMD Threadripper 1950 X (for 851 euros)
RAM bundle - CORSAIR 32GB RAMKit 2x16GB DDR4 2400MHz CMK32GX4M2A2400C16 (128 GB would cost 953 euros)
Power Supply - CORSAIR PSU RM850X 850W Enthusiast Serie CP-9020093-EU (cost 120 euros)
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 CPU-Cooler - 140mm (cost 72 euros)
Motherboard - Gigabyte X399 AORUS GAM 7s.TR4 (cost 299.167 euros)
SSD - SAMSUNG SSD 960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB 32001800MBs (cost 212 euros)
Total price would be about around 3033 euros

Note! i have GPU and i will get case myself. 
I am confused atm about RAM
Will it be like a bottle neck if i get instead 2400mhz 

I was thinking to clock cpu to 4.1 Ghz

Note! I am located in Estonia (EU)
So ordering outside of EU is not good idea 1. because they will add extra tax and it would cost me more 2. power that we get from socket is different in here then in USA
And products are often created for specific continent. 
http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/why-no-standard-voltage/

Don't stress too much about the memory frequency. It's not the same as with a socket AM4 motherboard ... those have only 2 or 4 memory slots, these have eight... it's not as easy to achieve high frequencies.

If you're lucky, maybe you can get 2933 Mhz with just one memory stick in each channel, so 4 memory sticks... but you plan to populate all 8 slots with memory, and most likely the memory will be double ranked, which is harder on the memory controller.

2400 Mhz would be a reasonable frequency for scenario where all 8 memory slots are populated, and wouldn't even be surprised if your system would be stable only at 2133 Mhz.

Also, are you sure you don't want ECC memory? Threadripper supports it.

Depending on motherboard, you may need a power supply with 2 cpu 8 pin connectors. The one recommended is good but not sure it's the best for the money.

The cpu ... you get 16 cores at 3.4 Ghz stock, 4 ghz boost ... all cores should reach 4 Ghz but you should be grateful if you'll get the cpu running 24/7 at 3.9 Ghz or 4 Ghz .. i wouldn't push for 4.1 Ghz especially with air cooler. You may have the cpu using ~ 200-220 watts at 3.9 or 4 Ghz Ghz on all cores  but jump to 260 watts at 4.1 Ghz ... a lot more power for very little increase in performance.

Are you sure you got the offer with VAT included?

I was comparing the prices with Amazon UK and Amazon UK has these with UK VAT (20%) included :

800 GBP (~895 euro) Threadripper 1950x :  https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-16-Core-Processor/dp/B074CBH3R4/

282 GBP (~316 euro) : https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PRIME-X399-Socket-Motherboard/dp/B0756FZSPH/

and memory is also more expensive at maybe 1100-1200 uk pounds... sounds like a good deal unless it doesn't include the VAT.

Yeah im sure that i dont need ECC memory. 
Of course the offer i got is like a bundle offer. 
That applies if i buy all those parts from them. 
At the moment only have to think will i then order new case: 
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/cosmos-c700p/

Or i will use my old case: 
http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/cosmos-s/