Enermax first out the gate with AIO for Threadripper.

ravenshrike
23 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

your joking right? they are the same chip so there is no reason for the r5 1600 to beat the r7 ever when they are clocked at the same speed. the only reason why any reviews showed the r5 being faster when at the same clocks is because they didn't retest the r7 cpus with all the updates to games and bios. is it worth the price difference for the small increase in gaming performance? no, not really but to say the r7 isn't faster is complete nonsense.

Take a look at the Digital Foundry video from yesterday. The proof is there. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

That makes it possible to set the cores for the application only.  The application (game) interacts with video card driver, direct x , other things (like steam overlay for example), all those can have threads randomly created on the other die of the CPU.

You can't guarantee 100% of the time that everything which is used to run the game will run on just one die.

Your game is not something like a command like video encoder (x264), which is self contained and does everything from one executable.

The game relies on external things (DirectX , OpenGL, Cuda, Physix) and internal things like sound engines like Miles3D , physics engines like Havok, AI and other helper libraries ex pathfinding etc  etc)

yes but if you set the affinity you can basically eliminate the majority of it. also if you really wanted to you could use vms to force it to run on one die. 

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

yeah the r7 is faster in that video so idk what you are talking about. also if you really want to argue that the r5 1600 is faster you can even change the r7 to an r5 1600 configuration in the bios if you so choose so there is no reason at all to say the r5 preforms better in games.

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

also go to 14:35 in the video and he says this "the ultimate gaming performance you can get right now from ryzen, well that's the ryzen 7 series with a 4.0ghz overclock" so don't go trying to prove your point with a video that literally say in that the 7 series is faster in gaming. is it worth the extra cost if you just want to game? probably not but again the r7 is still objectively faster.

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

also go to 14:35 in the video and he says this "the ultimate gaming performance you can get right now from ryzen, well that's the ryzen 7 series with a 4.0ghz overclock" so don't go trying to prove your point with a video that literally say in that the 7 series is faster in gaming. is it worth the extra cost if you just want to game? probably not but again the r7 is still objectively faster.

I wouldn't really call a few fps "faster" that's basically margin of error and not even noticeable. If it was a gap like we see in the i5/i7 comparison, then yeah, it's undoubtedly faster. Not only that the 1600x passes it several times.

Why change it? That's irrelevant data.

Your timestamp must be wrong, because there's no speech at that part of the video. In fact, if you watch for another 10 seconds you'll see the massive dips in frame timing that R7 is experiencing, and, like I said, a 5 fps delta.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I wouldn't really call a few fps "faster" that's basically margin of error and not even noticeable. If it was a gap like we see in the i5/i7 comparison, then yeah, it's undoubtedly faster. Not only that the 1600x passes it several times.

Why change it? That's irrelevant data.

Your timestamp must be wrong, because there's no speech at that part of the video. In fact, if you watch for another 10 seconds you'll see the massive dips in frame timing that R7 is experiencing, and, like I said, a 5 fps delta.

if you start at 14:35 you will see him say it within the next 10 seconds. also if you look at the crisis gameplay you will see the fps difference is much higher than a couple fps. bottom line is the r7 is faster no matter how much you want to deny it. is it a huge difference? no, like I said before it really isn't something to choose the r7 over the r5 for but it is still there.

Awesome. Finally to see AiO for TR and it's huge cooling plate. Thought maybe someone other would come with it first. But surely others to follow. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Kind of, not really. When a company makes as much money as Enermax,

Wanna bet that it doesn't cost that much money?

Saying those expenses are invalid because a company makes plenty of money is BS. It takes money to make money. New products are expensive, especially if you are 1st and not directly copying something. They have spent money therefore they are invested.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

honestly the biggest cost is going to be creating a production line for it. everything else would be quite easy. if they have to buy new machines and create new tooling it will cost alot of money. I'm unsure just how much but it will most likely be one of the biggest costs related to creating a new liquid cooler like this.

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

I already heard they ticked off George Lucas by adding paper in TLJ. 

I read that initially as The Longest Journey, and was scratching my head trying to figure out how Lucas had anything to do with that video game. xD

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I read that initially as The Longest Journey, and was scratching my head trying to figure out how Lucas had anything to do with that video game. xD

Haha! Yeah, I was abbreviating The Last Jedi. When I first got onto Star Wars forums and stuff, I couldn't figure out for the life of me what they meant by ROTJ, ESB, and ANH. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

I wonder how Threadripper will do in gaming...

The Ryzen Threadripper CPUs will have a Precision Boost of up to 4.0 GHz (on a couple of CPU cores). I'm not sure of the turbo frequency on all cores, but that'll come in the performance reviews.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

4 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

your joking right? they are the same chip so there is no reason for the r5 1600 to beat the r7 ever when they are clocked at the same speed. the only reason why any reviews showed the r5 being faster when at the same clocks is because they didn't retest the r7 cpus with all the updates to games and bios. is it worth the price difference for the small increase in gaming performance? no, not really but to say the r7 isn't faster is complete nonsense.

Technically it has more cache per core than the r7.

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Anyone know when the embargo lifts on reviews of TR?

I expect it to be 9am PST

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Thank flaming goodness someone finally has made a cooler adequate enough for a GTX 480, all these many years later.

Wait, 

does that mean Enermax were using Internet Explorer to keep up with the 'latest' news?

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

1 hour ago, EnergyEclipse said:

Thank flaming goodness someone finally has made a cooler adequate enough for a GTX 480, all these many years later.

That's... an interesting point. It should be relatively simple to cut down the cold plate to Vega size and attach a 92mm fan that would sit in the empty space on a Vega board routed over the VRMs?

10 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Saying those expenses are invalid because a company makes plenty of money is BS. It takes money to make money. New products are expensive, especially if you are 1st and not directly copying something. They have spent money therefore they are invested.

Think about what they actually had to make. The block. That's it. Pretty much everything else is already there, there's very little R&D going into the radiator, etc. They're not completely building this from the ground up. I'm not saying it's free, but it's not as expensive as you think.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Think about what they actually had to make. The block. That's it. Pretty much everything else is already there, there's very little R&D going into the radiator, etc. They're not completely building this from the ground up. I'm not saying it's free, but it's not as expensive as you think.

While I agree with you to some extent, there's still engineering required to produce this correctly.  They have to ensure the thickness of the plate is appropriate for it's size, and that the heat will transfer adequately.  They have to ensure the pump and the liquid flow is adequate to move the heat away from the CPU within the given TDP window (likely with a margin appropriate for overclocking).  It's also possible they've created a thicker (or thinner) rad for TR, so they may well have spent R&D on that front.

While much of that could be worked out from their existing line, it still requires time and resources to make sure it's done right.  How much cost that entails, only Enermax knows.

Well, one problem the AIOs generally have vs custom loop, is too weak flow rate. If they have remedied that, it could be cood. Coupled with a decent triple fan radiator it should provide enough cooling for the TR.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

15 hours ago, mariushm said:

There is a bit of latency when two threads across dies have to talk to each other or transfer data. Threads within a single die would work faster.

There is also latency when two CCXs need to communicate with each other, this is a limitation with the infinity fabric.  You can minimize the latency by getting fast RAM, as the infinity fabric's speed is dependent on RAM speeds.

If you have a game using a few threads that need to exchange small bits of data but lots of times, that game may run slightly better on a Ryzen because all threads will be equal and would work on same die.

With Threadripper, every once in a while, the operating system will put some threads on one die and some threads on the other die. The OS may even periodically move threads from die to die in order to allocate core resources better.

Fun fact, this may be one of the reasons why Ryzen, in general performs worse in games than Intel's CPUs.  Like I said before, this limitation isn't only on Threadripper.

Even if a game is extra careful about placing its threads and keeping them on one die, or maybe if AMD comes up with custom cpu driver that would place threads of one application preferentially on one die, with games you'd still have DX 12 threads, video card driver threads, then game threads .. which would be considered separate applications (i think).

The 1700 has four cores per CCX, while the 1600x has only 3 cores per CCX, same with Threadripper, with the 1900x having only 2 cores per CCX.  Depending on the chip, it would be impossible to have certain games run on only one CCX.

So one Ryzen and one Threadripper both at same frequencies, ignoring the benefits of quad channel ddr4 of Threadripper... there's quite a possibility that Ryzen system will be slightly faster (maybe less than 1% difference in frame rates and all that)

All of the issues that I stated above could be more severe in Threadripper, although I don't think that the difference would be significant.  The fact that Threadripper has quad channel RAM may actually make it perform slightly better in games, since like I said before, the infinity fabric's speed is dependent on RAM speeds.  A faster infinity fabric means less latency.

It will be very small because threads in real world don't really talk a lot between each other and basically, there's a huge gap between  percentage of time spent talking and percentage of  time doing their job, so while there is some latency, the impact is very small in most cases.

Most cases, yes.  Games usually have more frequent core to core communication than most other applications though.

6 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

That's... an interesting point. It should be relatively simple to cut down the cold plate to Vega size and attach a 92mm fan that would sit in the empty space on a Vega board routed over the VRMs?

The Vega VRM puts out like 40W, I'm not sure a 92mm fan directed at it will cut it lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

25 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

The Vega VRM puts out like 40W, I'm not sure a 92mm fan directed at it will cut it lol

The Vega FE VRM had 16 phases (8 plus doublers), 40w spread over 16 phases is more or less around 2.5w per phase ... the mosfets are rated for something like 5-10c per w above ambient with the tiny amount of heatsink and dissipation in pcb..  so the vrm will sit at around 50-70c while all mosfets are rated for up to 125c

Maybe Vega56 will only be 6phase and the Vega64 will be plain 8 phase to make the cards cheaper, but they'll still be cool enough

11 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Actually yes, I didn't realise that. Maybe once VEGA comes around we will see a new Kraken AIO Mount for it, were for the types of TDPs I expect the VEGA then that kind of a cooler would be amazing :D I'd say however you're probably going to want both heat sink and fan for the VRMs, as I think were going back to an era of "Did I buy a GPU or a barbeque?" xD

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again