Enermax first out the gate with AIO for Threadripper.

ravenshrike

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/enermax_reveals_their_threadripper_specific_liqteck_tr4_aio_liquid_cooler/1

ENERMAX LIQTECH TR4, the closed-loop liquid cooler, is custom-designed especially for the top-end enthusiast Threadripper CPUs.

The LIQTECH TR4’s base plate can cover the entire Threadripper’s IHS (integrated heat spreader) to deliver greater heat transfer efficiency and faster dissipation.

Furthermore, with the innovative high-flow-rate pump and patented Shunt-Channel-Technology (SCT) coldplate design, LIQTECH TR4 can deliver extremely high cooling capacity of 500W+TDP for heavily overclocked CPUs and demanding HEDT systems.

Should be interesting to see the performance bump over Asetek.

7 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Pretty impressive that they are invested enough in TR to make a dedicated AIO.

By being first out the gate with a decent product they can probably bank on at least breaking even pretty quick.

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

By being first out the gate with a decent product they can probably bank on at least breaking even pretty quick.

R&D, Salaries, Tooling, Sampling, Testing and Production cost hundreds of thousands. They will need to shift a lot of these. Which means they think TR will be a popular HEDT platform and worth the development cost.

13 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

R&D, Salaries, Tooling, Sampling, Testing and Production cost hundreds of thousands. They will need to shift a lot of these. Which means they think TR will be a popular HEDT platform and worth the development cost.

Isn't the coverage & mount holes the same for the Epyc version of the socket? If so, that would explain a bit of it. There'll be a market for AIOs for people making smaller Epyc servers.

My guess is that they glued two coldplates together basically and then just have one pump and one radiator for the entire thing

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Too slow, glue joke is above yours

Rip. Anyway I wonder if you could strap one on a XE so it has a chance to stay cool without a custom loop lol. The 500W sounds pretty nice

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

smh theres no glueing shit together, you just increase the coldplate size and and adjust the fins accordingly.....

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Rip. Anyway I wonder if you could strap one on a XE so it has a chance to stay cool without a custom loop lol. The 500W sounds pretty nice

500W does sound nice but X299's biggest thermal issue is the poor thermal transfer between die and IHS. Also having a cold plate larger than IHS won't cool anything.

3 minutes ago, KOMTechAndGaming said:

smh theres no glueing shit together, you just increase the coldplate size and and adjust the fins accordingly.....

The sct thing made me think otherwise, to me sounds like it's split in the middle so each die has its one AIO basically. 

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

500W does sound nice but X299's biggest thermal issue is the poor thermal transfer between die and IHS. Also having a cold plate larger than IHS won't cool anything.

Maybe you could make it touch the VRMs too? :P

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

The sct thing made me think otherwise, to me sounds like it's split in the middle so each die has its one AIO basically

Dual pumps would be rather pointless. It will be increased liquid volume + a single beefier pump. 500W on an AIO is mighty impressive though xD 

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Dual pumps would be rather pointless. It will be increased liquid volume + a single beefier pump. 500W on an AIO is mighty impressive though xD 

Yah there will be just one pump but the block might be split for so there are only fins over the dies to maybe save some cost

Builds:

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

at 500W on an AIO you can finally cool that vega GPU that you couldn't before!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

I had similar thoughts: I honestly wasn't convinced until very recently that AMD even had a chance at taking this fight to intel for the HEDT. Sure now we can all say "Well brand loyalty, even for a high end customer, is not worth almost double the money" but back when they would have needed to start working on this AIO design it was still mostly a toss up.

Good for them though: AMD certainly needs partners that are ready to gamble a bit in them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I wonder if this one would be able to work on other cpus, mounting, VRM cooling.

I kinda understand the whole "don't buy this thread ripper cooler unless you have a thread ripper" but i'm still curious if they had to make this exclusively for the TR or if it can be universal while still covering that massive surface.

And someone mentioned EPIC compatibility. That would be cool. WURF. lol

11 minutes ago, raphidy said:

I wonder how the bigger coldplate affect temps. Might be only fews degrees, like 1-3C.

You do realize that GN couldn't OC TR on Asetek coolers right? Depending on how efficient the TR Ryzen chips are it might not drop temps much at stock, though I doubt it, but it'll seriously drop temps when attempting to OC.

15 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

You do realize that GN couldn't OC TR on Asetek coolers right? Depending on how efficient the TR Ryzen chips are it might not drop temps much at stock, though I doubt it, but it'll seriously drop temps when attempting to OC.

They did OC on the kraken x62.

With threadripper having 4 separate dies, it would be better to put 4 straight lines of tim directly on top of each, instead of a glob in the center. Glob in the center was because the die in those cpus, is located in the center, not for threadripper. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Threadripper has 2 functional dies, always diagonally placed.  The other two dies are just spacers, to prevent the IHS (the metal lid) from flexing or bending.

The dies are close to the center of the chip so basically you don't necessarily need the cooler to cover the whole surface of the processor (but it would be nice).

Steve from GamersNexus tested multiple ways of applying paste and determined that basically just dumping a blob of paste (in much bigger quantity than what you normally place on processors) is enough, because the cooler you put will spread the paste evenly. Next in line in terms of coverage was the "draw two lines over the area where the four dies would be" ... and the "place 5 tiny blobs of paste, one in center and one over each die" that AMD recommended actually resulted in the poorest results.

Was interesting that his 120mm water cooler (well... i think it was only 120mm) kept the cpu at ~ 60-64c above ambient and was the limiting thing when it came to cooling... but even at that temperature the CPU wasn't throttling its cores, was running just fine.

The four dies:

dies.jpg.0054f7328c26233c31da5934bfb0a18e.jpg

Nice to see them come out with something so quickly, it'll be interesting to see how it performs.

I wonder how Threadripper will do in gaming...

6 hours ago, tom_w141 said:

Kind of, not really. When a company makes as much money as Enermax,

6 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Isn't the coverage & mount holes the same for the Epyc version of the socket? If so, that would explain a bit of it. There'll be a market for AIOs for people making smaller Epyc servers.

I highly doubt they'll produce AIOs for Epyc servers...

2 hours ago, ZackBarletto said:

I wonder if this one would be able to work on other cpus, mounting, VRM cooling.

-snip-

Unlikely, it'd interfere with other components on the motherboard.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red