Deciding on a new monitor

Hello, i recently upgraded my pc to a 1080ti and have decided its time to fully utilize the power of this card with a new monitor. Currently, i have a 2560x1440 TN 144hz 1ms 27" monitor. The two monitors i am stuck between are the Acer Predator XB321HK and the Asus ROG PG348Q. The Acer model is a 4k IPS 4ms 32" monitor; the Asus model is a 34" ultrawide (21:9) 3440x1440 IPS panel.

I am looking for opinions of both these specific models and 16:9 vs 21:9 aspect ratios. Will the 32" 4k panel look better than a 1440p ultra wide? Will the immersive feeling from the ultrawide make it a better choice than the 4k panel?

I am also open to opinions on other monitors. I know both Acer and Asus have new 4k monitors coming out later this year with HDR. They are rumored to be upwards of $2000, but could also be priced at $1200. Is it worth the wait to see what price these sell for?

Thank you for your input.

Parts list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($413.51 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($103.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - X99-DELUXE II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($142.55 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($142.55 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 Video Card  ($749.89 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1952.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-08 23:15 EDT-0400

I've been looking into getting a 1440p upgrade monitor recently and have been stuck between the x34 predator and the pg348q as well. There are currently expectations for 144hz ultrawide 1440p monitotors to release q3 this year..if they do release you could be looking at getting one of those for a similar price of the current ultrawide monitors or you can pick up a used one for much cheaper.

13 minutes ago, mattias1172 said:

Will the 32" 4k panel look better than a 1440p ultra wide? Will the immersive feeling from the ultrawide make it a better choice than the 4k panel?

This would be a realistic size comparison between the two sizes. I would go for the 32" 4k for immersion.

Capture.PNG.488eceec3c7fb6b11d4655b7d67084b8.PNG

2 hours ago, kitsune1324 said:

I've been looking into getting a 1440p upgrade monitor recently and have been stuck between the x34 predator and the pg348q as well. There are currently expectations for 144hz ultrawide 1440p monitotors to release q3 this year..if they do release you could be looking at getting one of those for a similar price of the current ultrawide monitors or you can pick up a used one for much cheaper.

Are those new monitors going to be HDR? Cause i know a lot of the current 4k and ultrawides can be overclocked, so not sure i want to wait just for 144hz. But i might wait for HDR.

I would say ultrawide, I don't really rate 4k 60hz for gaming... I may be bias though.
Although if you play fps games then you could look for something 1440p 165hz+ ips?

5 hours ago, Hugsy Malone said:

I would say ultrawide, I don't really rate 4k 60hz for gaming... I may be bias though.
Although if you play fps games then you could look for something 1440p 165hz+ ips?

I already have a 1440p panel capable of 144hz, so I'm not really looking for another one, even if its IPS. I am leaning towards the Asus ultrawide even though it has less pixels overall. All the reviews love the ultrawide curved aspect of it for gaming.

Ill be buying it on amazon so i guess i can always return it and get the 4k panel if I'm unhappy with it. 

22 hours ago, mattias1172 said:

Are those new monitors going to be HDR? Cause i know a lot of the current 4k and ultrawides can be overclocked, so not sure i want to wait just for 144hz. But i might wait for HDR.

Yes. Both the Acer and Asus models will be HDR10 compliant. 

One thing that may help you make a more informed decision is to look up the games you play and check to see if they support 21:9. If the titles you like *DON'T* support it, that may make your answer easier.