Fan advice.

unknownmiscreant

I have a ryzen 1700x and gtx1070 system in a corsair 460x case.

The CPU is water-cooled, however the GPU is air cooled internal exhaust (EVGA ACX 3.0)

My current fan setup is:

Front: 3x Corsair SP120 RGB and 3x EK Vardar in push pull on a triple rad. Intake

Top: 2x Cooler Master jetflo 120mm exhaust

Back: 1x Cooler master jetflo 120mm exhaust

The front and top fans are filtered.

Currently not alot of air reaches the GPU, so it runs fairly hot.

The jetflo fans are noisy af, and move less air than a damp fart, especially through the top  dust filter.

I was thinking about turning the top fans over to make them intakes. Thoughts?

Also does anyone have recommendations for new fans to replace the JetFlos. I'm looking to spend around $30 NZ per fan, although this could be stretched to $35 if there is substantial improvement.

The rear exhaust can support 120/140mm fans, although I am stuck with 120mm fans on the top due to clearance issues.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Silent wings 3 by be quiet

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

1 minute ago, Vandorlot said:

Silent wings 3 by be quiet

Thanks for the suggestion, but nothing from be quiet is imported into NZ. Same for noctua... rip

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Have you tried removing the top exhausts entirely? You might be running into a high negative pressure situation.

Just now, ravenshrike said:

Have you tried removing the top exhausts entirely? You might be running into a high negative pressure situation.

It isn't negative pressure. i only run the top and rear fans on 20%, as they are crazy loud. Just about nothing comes out of the top, and all over the back is a slight outflow of air. i made sure this was the case when setting up the fans, to mitigate dust build-up

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Then Noiseblocker e-loop 1300s or  Enermax Twister Pressures would be your best bet at 120mm.

5 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Then Noiseblocker e-loop 1300s or  Enermax Twister Pressures would be your best bet at 120mm.

Thanks, those both look like great options, but sadly also unavailable.

Any ideas for a 140mm rear exhaust?

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

8 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Any ideas for a 140mm rear exhaust?

Since you can't get Noctua Industrials, Noiseblock eLoop 1200 RPMs. Aerocool Dead Silences, Thermalright TY 143s, Phanteks PH-F140MPs

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Just now, unknownmiscreant said:

Would these be good?

Should be. The only ones better not on the list would be Vardars but I assume that came with your rad and not bought separately.

4 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Should be. The only ones better not on the list would be Vardars but I assume that came with your rad and not bought separately.

Yeah. If I could get more vardars, I wouldn't be asking about fans. But, I would end up paying more for shipping than the fans themselves. I should have bought some extras when I ordered the water cooling stuff.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

On 8/9/2017 at 4:17 AM, unknownmiscreant said:

Thanks for those links. Really good to have everything tested properly. The best I can find available in my country are:

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/air-series-af140-quiet-edition-high-airflow-140mm-fan

and

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/air-series-sp120-pwm-quiet-edition-high-static-pressure-fan

Would these be good?

Please don't get the fans you listed unless you have to as they are really not very good.  They sound horrible to be honest IMO.  The Corsair ML range is a much better option if you want to stick with Corsair.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/cooling/ml-series-fans

http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/12/corsair-ml120-pro-120-mm-fan/

Thermalbench, SPCR (Silent PC Review) and hardware.info are all good sites for benchmarking fans and often have random suggestions that you might have not even have heard of.  FYI, the SCPR stuff is quite outdated now, so many of the fans that they recommend are no longer available, but it's a good jumping off point for finding other very similar quality fans that actually are available.

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6622/tested-71-case-fans-of-140-mm-round-up-big-fans

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Fan_Roundup_2015a

http://thermalbench.com/category/fans/

2 hours ago, thedons1983 said:

Please don't get the fans you listed unless you have to as they are really not very good.  They sound horrible to be honest IMO.  The Corsair ML range is a much better option if you want to stick with Corsair.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/cooling/ml-series-fans

http://thermalbench.com/2016/07/12/corsair-ml120-pro-120-mm-fan/

Thermalbench, SPCR (Silent PC Review) and hardware.info are all good sites for benchmarking fans and often have random suggestions that you might have not even have heard of.  FYI, the SCPR stuff is quite outdated now, so many of the fans that they recommend are no longer available, but it's a good jumping off point for finding other very similar quality fans that actually are available.

https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/6622/tested-71-case-fans-of-140-mm-round-up-big-fans

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Fan_Roundup_2015a

http://thermalbench.com/category/fans/

Thank you very much for saving me from a another dud fan purchase. I really don't care what brand of fan I get, as long as it can pull air through a dust filter quietly.

You're absolutely right about the SP120 noise profile, turning off the 3 SP120 RGBs that came with my case makes a huge difference to noise. I'm probably going to end up pulling them out of my case, as their only benefit is the lighting, and that isn't very good either.

I should also say I'm no longer looking for a 140mm fan. Sorry, I got muddled with what fans my case supports, and wasn't at home to check. I'm actually after a 120mm for the rear exhaust.

Thankyou for posting some oddball alternative options, however I am very limited as to what I can buy in New Zealand. Here are some links to the shops with a decent selection of PC fans:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/components/cooling/case-fans

https://www.elive.co.nz/computer-cooling.php?page=2

I really don't give a fig about LEDs, and would prefer non-lit fans.

I'm happy to pay up to around $30 per fan.

Thanks again for saving me from another $100 fuck up.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

3 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Thank you very much for saving me from a another dud fan purchase. I really don't care what brand of fan I get, as long as it can pull air through a dust filter quietly.

You're absolutely right about the SP120 noise profile, turning off the 3 SP120 RGBs that came with my case makes a huge difference to noise. I'm probably going to end up pulling them out of my case, as their only benefit is the lighting, and that isn't very good either.

I should also say I'm no longer looking for a 140mm fan. Sorry, I got muddled with what fans my case supports, and wasn't at home to check. I'm actually after a 120mm for the rear exhaust.

Thankyou for posting some oddball alternative options, however I am very limited as to what I can buy in New Zealand. Here are some links to the shops with a decent selection of PC fans:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/category/components/cooling/case-fans

https://www.elive.co.nz/computer-cooling.php?page=2

I really don't give a fig about LEDs, and would prefer non-lit fans.

I'm happy to pay up to around $30 per fan.

Thanks again for saving me from another $100 fuck up.

No problem, glad I could help!

You also wouldn't have made a dud purchase with the SP120s by the way, but you can definitely spend your money better and get a much better sounding fan to boot.

Have you though about this:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANFRA0080/FRACTAL-DESIGN-FD-FAN-DYN-GP12-Dynamic-Series-GP-1

For an exhaust, I think it will do very well and will be very quiet doing so too.  If you check the hardware.info roundup, they cover the 140mm version and rate it very highly indeed.  There are far better performing fans, but the Fractal should be quite quiet and should exhaust all the air that you would need, without breaking the bank.  I have a Fractal SSR2 (running at 7V constant), which is much older, and I haven't ever noticed it was there.  It really is that good.

4 minutes ago, thedons1983 said:

No problem, glad I could help!

You also wouldn't have made a dud purchase with the SP120s by the way, but you can definitely spend your money better and get a much better sounding fan to boot.

Have you though about this:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANFRA0080/FRACTAL-DESIGN-FD-FAN-DYN-GP12-Dynamic-Series-GP-1

For an exhaust, I think it will do very well and will be very quiet doing so too.  If you check the hardware.info roundup, they cover the 140mm version and rate it very highly indeed.  There are far better performing fans, but the Fractal should be quite quiet and should exhaust all the air that you would need, without breaking the bank.  I have a Fractal SSR2 (running at 7V constant), which is much older, and I haven't ever noticed it was there.  It really is that good.

Okay. I really hate loud fans, as I have quite sensitive hearing, so notice things like loud computers.

I also don't want loud fans, as i am looking for a 120mm fan to cool my amplifier, and that really needs to be silent. 

So do you think these two:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANCOR8871799/CORSAIR-ML120-120mm-PREMIUM-MAGNETIC-LEVITATION-FA

will work as intakes through the top dust filter, and a pair of the fractal fans you linked above as the rear exhaust and for the amplifier (its a very non-restrictive heatsink design) would work well?

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

I am a big fan of Phanteks fans as exhaust, the 140mm variants and cooler master SP fans for intake to get the right airflow.
Phanteks fans have special rubber mounts, high CFM even at low speeds they are lacking in static pressure hence I opted for Cooler Master SP series.

Added a sample of my setup, using the 120mm fans that came with the AIO mount below with 3 x 140mm in the bay on top behind the filter.

These numbers are with a 212 EVO with dual 120mm fans the AIO is silent i basically hear my HDD´s tick with no music playing.
About 15-20 DB on idle and 20-25 under load with gaming.

Idle/Light Load 20 Db 25 Db
Medium Load 30 Db 40 Db
Heavy Load 40 Db 50 Db

Case_Diagram_Negative_Pressure_Radiator.png

Case_Diagram_Negative_Pressure.png

7 minutes ago, HisEvilness said:

I am a big fan of Phanteks fans as exhaust, the 140mm variants and cooler master SP fans for intake

Thanks for all the information.

Sadly I have no 140mm mounts I can use, due to clearance issues with my radiator. Although I assume the 120mm variant of the phanteks fan will work nicely. Can you please provide a part number/link, so I can try and purchase them, however the range available is pretty limited at the moment, I can only get PH-F120SP fans.

Is there a cooler master SP line of fans? I know corsair have the SP lineup, however cooler master seem to have gone with the master fan air pressure. Can you clarify...

Thanks

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

10 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Okay. I really hate loud fans, as I have quite sensitive hearing, so notice things like loud computers.

I also don't want loud fans, as i am looking for a 120mm fan to cool my amplifier, and that really needs to be silent. 

So do you think these two:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANCOR8871799/CORSAIR-ML120-120mm-PREMIUM-MAGNETIC-LEVITATION-FA

will work as intakes through the top dust filter, and a pair of the fractal fans you linked above as the rear exhaust and for the amplifier (its a very non-restrictive heatsink design) would work well?

Interesting use case actually, so I can understand why the fan acoustics are so impoprtant!

I think they could well do a good job, they're definitely good value at least.  I would say, however, that just be sure you can return them if you don't like them, as no-one wants to be stuck with components that they don't care for!  One thing I can say is that seeing as you're running the fans horizontally, the magnetic levitation bearings should hopefully stop the fans from making a strange noise when run like that at least, as apparently many other fans have loud bearing noises when run horizontally.

The Fractal as an exhaust would be pretty good I think, from what I've read, and should hopefully work for the amp too, as it produces still decent airflow even at low RPMs, which should mean good acoustics.

Phanteks and Cooler Master do make good fans too by the way, just like hisevilness suggested, so there are always other options that you might want to explore too.

5 minutes ago, thedons1983 said:

Interesting use case actually, so I can understand why the fan acoustics are so impoprtant!

I think they could well do a good job, they're definitely good value at least.  I would say, however, that just be sure you can return them if you don't like them, as no-one wants to be stuck with components that they don't care for!  One thing I can say is that seeing as you're running the fans horizontally, the magnetic levitation bearings should hopefully stop the fans from making a strange noise when run like that at least, as apparently many other fans have loud bearing noises when run horizontally.

The Fractal as an exhaust would be pretty good I think, from what I've read, and should hopefully work for the amp too, as it produces still decent airflow even at low RPMs, which should mean good acoustics.

Phanteks and Cooler Master do make good fans too by the way, just like hisevilness suggested, so there are always other options that you might want to explore too.

Thanks. So would the Fractal fan be good the the amp? As it will be mounted horizontally, but only run at low RPM, the amp doesn't need alot of cooling. Although I could potentially get another ML120 for it.

I do like the phanteks fans, however  the range I can get is crap, and most are currently out of stock. I can get the PH-F120SP is this any good?

Most cooler master stuff is good, however their jetflo fans are pretty bad. They are absolute beasts at high RPM, you can't stand them up vertically on a table. But they are noisy af IMO at high RPM. At low RPM, they don't move any air. 

I'm currently trying to return them.  If not, I'll probably end up using them to cool our servers, where noise isn't as much of a problem.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

You know what, I'm actually not sure.  Check amazon reviews of the Fractal maybe, to see if anyone has used it horizontally and had problems, as if they're gonna report it, it'll be on Amazon.  But generally speaking, it should be okay.  

Yeah the Phanteks range is weird and is very hard to get hold of in the UK too!  The SP, MP and XP versions are the only ones that I can find stock of.  The other fans are discontinued or something I think.  I considered the SP heavily, but decided on the Bequiet Silent Wings 2 in the end, as they are supposed to be slightly quieter overall from what I have read, and were slightly cheaper too.  The Bequiets aren't an option for you I know, but the Phanteks are still very good from what I know.  

34 minutes ago, thedons1983 said:

You know what, I'm actually not sure.  Check amazon reviews of the Fractal maybe, to see if anyone has used it horizontally and had problems, as if they're gonna report it, it'll be on Amazon.  But generally speaking, it should be okay.  

Yeah the Phanteks range is weird and is very hard to get hold of in the UK too!  The SP, MP and XP versions are the only ones that I can find stock of.  The other fans are discontinued or something I think.  I considered the SP heavily, but decided on the Bequiet Silent Wings 2 in the end, as they are supposed to be slightly quieter overall from what I have read, and were slightly cheaper too.  The Bequiets aren't an option for you I know, but the Phanteks are still very good from what I know.  

I have looked through at the amazon listing reviews for GP-14 and GP-12s. Can't find anything about horizontal mounting issues. I think I will order them, and return them if they are no good.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

That's a good sign definitely.  Good call I think, please do get back and let us know how you get on.

8 hours ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Thanks for all the information.

Sadly I have no 140mm mounts I can use, due to clearance issues with my radiator. Although I assume the 120mm variant of the phanteks fan will work nicely. Can you please provide a part number/link, so I can try and purchase them, however the range available is pretty limited at the moment, I can only get PH-F120SP fans.

Is there a cooler master SP line of fans? I know corsair have the SP lineup, however cooler master seem to have gone with the master fan air pressure. Can you clarify...

Thanks

Phanteks has them listed on their website: http://www.phanteks.com/Fans.html
I am using the SP versions and XP versions, and for Cooler Master I used SP120 series.
SP version is like the standard Fans they mount on their cases the XP version is a premium fan with PWM 4 pin and rubber mounts.

4 minutes ago, HisEvilness said:

Phanteks has them listed on their website: http://www.phanteks.com/Fans.html
I am using the SP versions and XP versions, and for Cooler Master I used SP120 series.
SP version is like the standard Fans they mount on their cases the XP version is a premium fan with PWM 4 pin and rubber mounts.

Thanks for elaborating. Sadly I can only get the PH-F120SP. I will do some more research into both the fractal gp-12 and the phanteks sp tomorrow.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s