AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Benchmarks Show It 45%+ Ahead Of The Skylake X Competition

Mr_Troll

wow the 1950x overclocking to 4.1 has a higher cinabench score then the $1700 i9-7960X

1 hour ago, juri-han said:

wow the 1950x overclocking to 4.1 has a higher cinabench score then the $1700 i9-7960X

Intel really should have used the LGA 3647 socket for their high-end desktop AND server platforms. Threadripper over clocks well because it has the cores further apart and a larger heat spreader. 

6 hours ago, Mr_Troll said:

TR has higher single core score than ryzen?.. hows that possible?

It's rumored (and given that we are two days from launch, probable) that threadripper has a 4.2ghz XFR clock, which would give it a couple points more over ryzen. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

A 45% increase going from 10 cores to 16 cores at similar clocks isn't impressive or surprising. It's got 60% more cores, and figuring for loss in scaling, as nothing scales perfectly. It's like being surprised that a super charged V10 can push more ponies than a basic V6.

And we've still got nothing concrete on AVX performance, which is significantly more important in the HEDT world. Will I be right, will Threadripper suffer the same fate as consumer Ryzen, where 2 Ryzen cores are needed to roughly match 1 Sky/Kaby core of similar/same clocks. Or will the twin IMC config allow Threadripper to overcome that in a similar fashion as EPYC?.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Intel really should have used the LGA 3647 socket for their high-end desktop AND server platforms. Threadripper over clocks well because it has the cores further apart and a larger heat spreader. 

Lga 2066 was designed well before intel decided to do anything more than 10 cores for hedt. 18 cores is only a recent decision. 

Also ,why?  Skylake x is a monolithic die. The cores would be spaced out the same regardless of the socket. And the heatspreader barely helps cooling because of its small surface area vs a heasink or radiator. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

Lga 2066 was designed well before intel decided to do anything more than 10 cores for hedt. 18 cores is only a recent decision. 

Also ,why?  Skylake x is a monolithic die. The cores would be spaced out the same regardless of the socket. And the heatspreader barely helps cooling because of its small surface area vs a heasink or radiator. 

When was LGA 3647 designed? 

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

A 45% increase going from 10 cores to 16 cores at similar clocks isn't impressive or surprising. It's got 60% more cores, and figuring for loss in scaling, as nothing scales perfectly. It's like being surprised that a super charged V10 can push more ponies than a basic V6.

And we've still got nothing concrete on AVX performance, which is significantly more important in the HEDT world. Will I be right, will Threadripper suffer the same fate as consumer Ryzen, where 2 Ryzen cores are needed to roughly match 1 Sky/Kaby core of similar/same clocks. Or will the twin IMC config allow Threadripper to overcome that in a similar fashion as EPYC?.

I've yet to see a single example where zen needs two cores per kabylake core in AVX... Sure, it's slower, but not by more than 30%...

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

When was LGA 3647 designed? 

Before knight's landing was released, so I'd guess ~2015. But my point is that lga 2066 was designed with a 10 core max in mind. Sure, the 7980x would be better off with that massive socket, if only for power consumption (server skylake it) 

, but that would require intel to have TWO HEDT sockets, segmenting their already incredibly segmented product line even more. 

6 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

The Core i9-7980XE will outperform the Threadripper 1950X assuming there are not problems with thermal throttling(which there will probably be).

my issue with this is the price. while threadripper is 1000 this will be closer to 2000.

2 minutes ago, Moderateshadow said:

my issue with this is the price. while threadripper is 1000 this will be closer to 2000.

That seems to be the issue for everybody. Intel will also make CPU's that outperform AMD's but they will not be competitive with pricing. 

20 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

The larger socket wouldn't have helped, the die size is much the same. The extra pins come from things like 6 channel IMC vs 4 channel IMC and other server only features but these don't greatly increase the die size so cooling capability due to larger surface area doesn't come in to play.

Servers also have a great deal more system cooling than HEDT systems do, that includes VRM etc. Most servers have 4-8 high flow and pressure 7000+ RPM fans in them combined with flow optimized large full copper heatsinks. The heatsinks might look small compared to a 360mm RAD but they easily outperform them due to the airflow.

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

That seems to be the issue for everybody. Intel will also make CPU's that outperform AMD's but they will not be competitive with pricing. 

Yeah exactly. 

plus people who actually need this type of product will love the pci-e lanes than amd is offering at this pricepoint

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

The larger socket wouldn't have helped, the die size is much the same. The extra pins come from things like 6 channel IMC vs 4 channel IMC and other server only features but these don't greatly increase the die size so cooling capability due to larger surface area doesn't come in to play.

Servers also have a great deal more system cooling than HEDT systems do, that includes VRM etc. Most servers have 4-8 high flow and pressure 7000+ RPM fans in them combined with flow optimized large full copper heatsinks. The heatsinks might look small compared to a 360mm RAD but they easily outperform them due to the airflow.

A didn't know that a larger socket wouldn't benefit Intel. But it will benefit AMD.

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

A didn't know that a larger socket wouldn't benefit Intel. But it will benefit AMD.

Yea that was just about Intel CPUs and the LGA2066 vs LGA367 socket. AMD's multi die design is great for cooling, later they could even start getting fancy with power management and boost only 1 die by a lot if only a low number of cores are being utilized. That won't happen until the fab process improves and they can hit clocks over 4.2GHz.

28 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Considering some of the early Epyc tests with AVX, it appears at the memory bandwidth is actually the real key with the calculation over even the extra processing units. Which is why I'm really curious as well, though detailed testing is probably a few weeks off.

2 hours ago, juri-han said:

Unless you OC the 7960x lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Anyone getting flashbacks to the HD 5870 vs GTX 480?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, Lays said:

Unless you OC the 7960x lol

i some how doubt it will reach 4.1 on all cores, never the less the fact that TR can overclock as high as the 1800x and its $700 cheaper then the 7960x and coolers designed for the chip are not even on the market yet..... if the 10 core skylake-x hits 100c when you got past 4.5 i really doubt you will get much more out of OCing the 16 and 18 core (have fun delidding a $2000 cpu hope you have nerves of steel)

ryzen is very easy to OC and not get crazy temps you just hit a wall around 4ghz witch is more of a problem with the lower core count chips but a HUGE advantage for TR

Are all TR parts will be using the old rev. B1 chips?

Looks like AMD is keeping the new B2 rev (with improved IMC) for Epyc for now.

I don't see why these high core count desktop chips even exist. Anybody that actually needs all of these cores may as well go into Intel Xeon or AMD Eypc territory. 

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

It's rumored (and given that we are two days from launch, probable) that threadripper has a 4.2ghz XFR clock, which would give it a couple points more over ryzen. 

one of amd guys said it, so it isnt much of a rumor, btw its a 4 core XFR to

23 minutes ago, DuckDodgers said:

Are all TR parts will be using the old rev. B1 chips?

Looks like AMD is keeping the new B2 rev (with improved IMC) for Epyc for now.

they will probably stop producing the old revision, and we will see the new one showing up, i would like too see if there is any significant improvement 

I find it odd that CPU-Z shows single thread on Ryzen to be that of a highly OC'd Nehalem CPU, so if we deduct that a 4.1ghz i7 920 is around the speed of a 3.7ghz Sandy, and Sandy at 3.7ghz is around even with Ivy, i would put the Ryzen CPU's single core speed at that of Ivy Bridge, not Haswell.

Look at this.

X4QML6d.png

4.35ghz BTW.

how does GeekBench show such a massive difference?

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.

I am so surprised :P
10 core vs 16 core, it's anyone's race, really. 

STOP BEING STUPID INTEL (and drop those stupid prices)

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

AMD should easily rip intel apart with Threadripper, the prices of intel's upcoming chips are retarded.

Still though... IPC.. Ryzen vs 3570K.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176100/computers/amd-ryzen-7-1700-vs-a-5-year-old-gaming-pc-or-why-you-should-never-preorder.html

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.