AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Benchmarks Show It 45%+ Ahead Of The Skylake X Competition

Mr_Troll

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Benchmarks Show It 45%+ Ahead Of The Skylake X Competition

The benchamrks in question include four tests. Three of the tests were conducted in both multi-threaded and single-threaded mode whilst the fourth is multi-threaded only

amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-passmark-wccftech

amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-geekbench-3-wccftech

amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-cinebench-r15-wccftech

amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-cinebench-r11-5-wccftech

No surprises here, the 16 core, 32 thread Ryzen Threadripper 1950X absolutely creams its similarly priced 10 core competition from Intel.  In fact, Threadripper manages to establish a monstrous lead, it came out ahead by no less than 42% in Cinebench R15 and no less than 47% in all three other tests.

Threadripper’s lead is so gigantic that if it weren’t for its price you would be hard pressed not to believe it was in an entirely different tier than the i9 7900X. At this juncture it wouldn’t surprise us at all if Intel ends up sharply cutting prices to its newly introduced 10 core in the coming weeks.

amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-geekbench-3-single-core-wccftech

amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-cinebench-r15-single-core-wccftech

amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-cinebench-r11-5-single-core-wccftech

amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-geekbench-3-single-core-wccftech

Moving on to the single threaded side of the tests.  Here, the Core i9 7900X manages to save some face thanks to its significantly higher single core Turbo clock speed — 4.5GHz — and ends up ahead by anywhere from 3-9% depending on the test. What’s truly astonishing however is that despite the clock speed advantage for the 7900X, Threadripper still manages to stay right on its tail.

This goes to show that there’s really not much in it between AMD’s Zen microarchitecture and Intel’s Skylake microarchitecture. Rather what’s giving Skylake X the edge in single threaded work seems to be primarily the result of higher clock speeds due to Intel’s mature 14nm process. It could be only a matter of time before AMD catches up to Intel’s clock speeds as Globalfoundries’ 14nm process matures. Although speaking of the here and now, Threadripper appears to already be a massive win for AMD.

cFAvgJih1q5roXgESeae_jgeh-Z2paImpdcse1A9_7k.png?w=1024&s=6824d316aa07bb7a51bed546771bc2ed

AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-1950X-overclocked-4.0GHz.jpg

TR has higher single core score than ryzen?.. hows that possible? 

Source:http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-benchmarks-leaked-42-faster-competition/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

3 minutes ago, Mr_Troll said:

Because Geekbench = Trash

Btw leaks i've seen put multi core between 3200-3300 with 3000+MHz RAM

EDIT: Also why is this all within a quote?

DIE SLUGS DIE

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

2 minutes ago, Mr_Troll said:

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Because Geekbench = Trash

I assume that TR is made of only the highest binned chips, combine that with better power delivery, cache and everything else and TR could easily push past a mainstream r7 processor.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Does quad channel help in single-thread performance?

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

Well isn't that R15 score a bit low? Maybe the ram was slower then Linus and AMD used? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The Core i9-7980XE will outperform the Threadripper 1950X assuming there are not problems with thermal throttling(which there will probably be).

I'm going to assume these benches use 3000+ MHz RAM and overclocks until proven otherwise. 

Edit: How is a 16-core CPU getting about 30% more performance over a 10-core? Shouldn't it be closer to 50%?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

16c/32t CPU vs 10c/20t CPU...

I WONDER WHICH WOULD WIN?!

More news @ 11

(That said, GO-GO ThreadRipper!)

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Just now, PocketNerd said:

More news @ 11

Today?

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Today?

So long as you can follow-up with a new and exciting product that can be mine for 12 easy payments ;)

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

So long as you can follow-up with a new and exciting product that can be mine for 12 easy payments ;)

Third time today

6 minutes ago, ApolloFury said:

Does quad channel help in single-thread performance?

If the test can use the Quad-channel memory bandwidth, then it should.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Well isn't that R15 score a bit low? Maybe the ram was slower then Linus and AMD used? 

R15 Multi-core score is in line with expectations for a non-OC'd TR. Though maybe a little higher than others will get. 3000-3200 has been the expected range.

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

The Core i9-7980XE will outperform the Threadripper 1950X assuming there are not problems with thermal throttling(which there will probably be).

In theory it should (2 more cores), but that's going to depend on clocks. At stock, the 7980XE should max all-core Turbo to 3.4 Ghz, but we also don't know how well it's going to scale across the Mesh. (Bandwidth limitations?) We'll find out when it lands, but I would expect ~3500 to 3600 R15 scores for the 7980XE.

Image result for but wait there's more gif

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Every one knows this already, it is a 2000 dollars processor it HAS to beat it, not to mention 2c/4t extra etc... but this is not the point, who here really is soo blind seeking bleeding edge performance? you can actually build an entire 1950x system with motherboard, ram, psu at the cost of the 7980xe alone.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

R15 Multi-core score is in line with expectations for a non-OC'd TR. Though maybe a little higher than others will get. 3000-3200 has been the expected range.

In theory it should (2 more cores), but that's going to depend on clocks. At stock, the 7980XE should max all-core Turbo to 3.4 Ghz, but we also don't know how well it's going to scale across the Mesh. (Bandwidth limitations?) We'll find out when it lands, but I would expect ~3500 to 3600 R15 scores for the 7980XE.

I guess the 4.4 GHz max turbo is only for one core. The 7980XE should perform a little less than Dual Xeon E5-2695v3.

10 minutes ago, Mr_Troll said:

Snip

Would be good to see how these things perform in the real world, after appropriately high overclocks are accounted for (that is, what is reasonably attainable for most people, as well as consideration for a delid on the 7900x). stock operation is fine... Benchmarking programs are fine... but these things are not indicative of true performance levels, especially since some benchmark programs merely spit out a number based on an arbitrary formula which is not always on a linear scale.

But at the end of the day, any "benchmarks" we discuss before the actual launch cannot be trusted. Wait for the official launch and there will be plenty of benchmarks from dozens of users/reviwers out there to really get an idea of how good these CPU's are head to head in a variety of synthetic and real-world tests with varying RAM speeds, overclocks, and system configurations.

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm going to assume these benches use 3000+ MHz RAM and overclocks until proven otherwise. 

Edit: How is a 16-core CPU getting about 30% more performance over a 10-core? Shouldn't it be closer to 50%?

Cinebench & RealBench are both around 45% for the 1950X over the 7900X. Given the core difference (16c vs 10c) and clock differences (7900X should be running higher clocks) & some IPC difference, 45% is about correct. Geekbench is trash and I still don't know why anyone uses it.

Just now, Jito463 said:

Maybe it's time to accept reality, and just ask the mods to change your name to Billy_M. :D 

I'm fine with it but atleast I know people know Im here 

I guess the 4.4 GHz max turbo is only for one core. The 7980XE should perform a little less than Dual Xeon E5-2695v3.

The charts cropped up in the other thread about the SKL-X release for the full turbo speed.

3 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Linus showed it putting out over 3200 at LTX I'm pretty sure, and so has AMD in an official video a while back. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Cinebench & RealBench are both around 45% for the 1950X over the 7900X. Given the core difference (16c vs 10c) and clock differences (7900X should be running higher clocks) & some IPC difference, 45% is about correct. Geekbench is trash and I still don't know why anyone uses it.

12 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Also Amadahl's Law (and for that matter "Braess's paradox").... Speedup scaling always decreases as core-count decreases due to increased cpu cycles merely swapping data around cores.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

6 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

They probably are in the same price bracket actually. So as far as I'm concerned it is a valid apples to apples comparison. $1k cpu vs  $1k cpu.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS