New build fan questions....

Spart0n

Linus answered it in a video that positive pressure was best with lots of details why (I can't remember now) and that's why I designed my case fan setup like this:

My new case is a DIYPC Skyline-07-G

120mm Fans 8 total
Front: INTAKE 2 x 120mm CM SickleFlow Green Fan dust filter pre-installed
Top: EXHAUST 2 x 120mm Corsair AIO fans REMOVE pre-installed dust filter
Side: INTAKE 2 x 120mm CM SickleFlow Green Fan add dust filter?
Rear: EXHAUST 1 x 120mm CM SickleFlow Green Fan
Bottom: INTAKE 1 x 120mm Fan CM SickleFlow Green Fan dust filter pre-installed

So I'd have 5 in and 3 out BUT what fans would be better at making and keeping that pressure?

I will be using CM Sickleflow 120mm Green LED fans, but I've seen a page somewhere that actually tested these sickleflow fans and they sucked BUT I really don't want to spend $12-$30 per fan....even without LEDs...

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit

I don't think having so many fans makes sense. Get a cheaper case with less fans.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Too much positive pressure could be a bad thing causing limited air flow, albeit you're less likely to get dust. What I would do is have 4 in 4 out and if possible use some sort of controller to configure the intake fans to run faster than the exhaust fans.

Just now, GrayTech said:

I don't think having so many fans makes sense. Get a cheaper case with less fans.

The case is purchased and was cheap, a huge tall full tower for $89 after tax and shipping and fairly solid construction too...

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit

Just now, kitsune1324 said:

Too much positive pressure could be a bad thing causing limited air flow, albeit you're less likely to get dust. What I would do is have 4 in 4 out and if possible use some sort of controller to configure the intake fans to run faster than the exhaust fans.

Part of my thinking for positive pressure is to help push more air through my 240mm rad on top of my case to help with CPU temps

Tempus Fugit

Just now, Spart0n said:

The case is purchased and was cheap, a huge tall full tower for $89 after tax and shipping and fairly solid construction too...

Ok, then that's not an option. But personally I wouldn't use all those fans. You could just disconnect some fans so you have only 3 intakes/2 outtakes running to see wether it makes a big difference or not. Because cooling is one thing but having so many fans in your case just makes the thing loud. But if you don't care about noise, go for the full fan setup. But don't thing too much about your fan configuration since it'll be fine. I'm using a Define S and I have 2 140mm fans in the front as intakes and 1 140mm exhaust fan in the back and the stock cooler AMD provided with my R5 1600. At stock speed and voltage I get around 35°C at idle. Some weeks ago I exported a video - it took 3 hours. The CPU was sitting at less then 65°C at the end when I remember correctly.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

5 minutes ago, GrayTech said:

Ok, then that's not an option. But personally I wouldn't use all those fans. You could just disconnect some fans so you have only 3 intakes/2 outtakes running to see wether it makes a big difference or not. Because cooling is one thing but having so many fans in your case just makes the thing loud. But if you don't care about noise, go for the full fan setup. But don't thing too much about your fan configuration since it'll be fine. I'm using a Define S and I have 2 140mm fans in the front as intakes and 1 140mm exhaust fan in the back and the stock cooler AMD provided with my R5 1600. At stock speed and voltage I get around 35°C at idle. Some weeks ago I exported a video - it took 3 hours. The CPU was sitting at less then 65°C at the end when I remember correctly.

Noise is not an issue for me, I'm even going to use a fan controller for 6 of them (all but the AIO rad fans) and unless I'm doing hardcore stuff, they are probably going to mostly sit at 30% or so (maybe half, depending on how the idle temps are)

Tempus Fugit

38 minutes ago, Spart0n said:

Noise is not an issue for me, I'm even going to use a fan controller for 6 of them (all but the AIO rad fans) and unless I'm doing hardcore stuff, they are probably going to mostly sit at 30% or so (maybe half, depending on how the idle temps are)

I would definitely have 4 in and 4 out then set the intakes to be 10-15% faster than the output. 

What you will be putting in there? How many drives, which GPU (how many and what cooler(s)), what CPU cooler. These are really important when you design airflow for the case.

I can't give good answer without knowing things you put in. But some general facts. Positive pressure is good if you live in dusty environment. Negative is actually better in performance, but will suck more dust in. Neutral would be overall best but hard to get right, so usually its better to go with positive and as close to neutral as possible. Side panel fans are most depending on what GPU cooler you will have. Most of the time they aren't even needed as front fans will provide enough airflow. More so if you don't fill or HDD slots. At worst, like using both and having open-air style GPU cooler, you will have really mixed airflow and loose some performance. Top fans are pretty much same thing. Top and rear work as unit with CPU cooler. The best setup depends on which cooler and how its set. If it exhausts towards top, rear could be intake with filter. But usually with rear exhausting CPU cooler, top fans would be best as intakes, with filters.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What you will be putting in there? How many drives, which GPU (how many and what cooler(s)), what CPU cooler. These are really important when you design airflow for the case.

I can't give good answer without knowing things you put in. But some general facts. Positive pressure is good if you live in dusty environment. Negative is actually better in performance, but will suck more dust in. Neutral would be overall best but hard to get right, so usually its better to go with positive and as close to neutral as possible. Side panel fans are most depending on what GPU cooler you will have. Most of the time they aren't even needed as front fans will provide enough airflow. More so if you don't fill or HDD slots. At worst, like using both and having open-air style GPU cooler, you will have really mixed airflow and loose some performance. Top fans are pretty much same thing. Top and rear work as unit with CPU cooler. The best setup depends on which cooler and how its set. If it exhausts towards top, rear could be intake with filter. But usually with rear exhausting CPU cooler, top fans would be best as intakes, with filters.

Here is my list of things

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fv69D8

Tempus Fugit

44 minutes ago, Spart0n said:

Here is my list of things

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Fv69D8

You can get rid of rear and upper sidepanel fans. You don't need them. Rad will be top exhaust, lower side fan can help with GPU. or keep all preinstalled fans like they are and just swap rad to top exhaust.

And think about getting faster HDD if you plan to install anything on it. Most 7200rpm drives are really quiet.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You can get rid of rear and upper sidepanel fans. You don't need them. Rad will be top exhaust, lower side fan can help with GPU. or keep all preinstalled fans like they are and just swap rad to top exhaust.

I don't know if I want to keep the pre-installed fans, IDK if they are worse than the Sickleflow I bought... 

Tempus Fugit

2 hours ago, Spart0n said:

I don't know if I want to keep the pre-installed fans, IDK if they are worse than the Sickleflow I bought... 

Personally, I usually ditch the pre-installed fans and replace them with my own.

2 minutes ago, kitsune1324 said:

Personally, I usually ditch the pre-installed fans and replace them with my own.

off topic...My favorite anime BTW, nice profile pic look at the background of mine :P

Tempus Fugit