Desktop teardown guide.

MrMcMuffinJr
Go to solution Solved by IntMD,
16 hours ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

My High School wants to teach kids how to take apart a computer. They tasked me with making a guide on how to do so. what do you guys think. it is incomplete atm.

How to Take Apart a Desktop Computer.pdf

15 hours ago, knightslugger said:

Attached the PDF with my notes above.

I've added a few more notes to this in the attached. Try an not use capital letters when it shouldn't be used. I think I noticed most of them, but may have missed some so worth double checking (this is one of the few grammar things that actually irritates me). There are a few sentence structure/wording changes I've suggested, not sure if you want to use them. I even withheld comment on the N. American spelling of aluminium!!!!.  ;)

My High School wants to teach kids how to take apart a computer. They tasked me with making a guide on how to do so. what do you guys think. it is incomplete atm.

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

I feel like a diagram should be included that clearly labels all the most obvious parts of the computer. Such as a picture of the insides with labels coming off each part. It's looking good so far! But that's just a suggestion from me :) 

2 minutes ago, DiscoDuck101 said:

thank you. I think i will do that. :)

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

Just now, MrMcMuffinJr said:

thank you. I think i will do that. :)

How old are the people you're teaching?

5 minutes ago, DiscoDuck101 said:

How old are the people you're teaching?

high school freshman-senior

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

instead of serial, say expansion card (any)

and list it out like: soundcard, GPU, extra storage controller, etc

start off by disconnecting everything off of the PC, and then switching off the PSU through the switch on the back 

talk about 20 / 24 pin ATX, say that there are some very old motherboards that still use 20 pin ATX, and some PSUs come with a 20pin ATX and a additional +4 for compatibility 

when talking about EPS, you want to say that some motherboards might have two of these, or one. call it '4 + 4 EPS' 

storage doesn't last long in ram when unpowered (to stop questions like how does my pc use ram if it forgets it quickly?)

tell them don't touch the contacts on ram/expansion cards, might fuck it up or something

diagram isn't of a pentium 4, it's of a more modern CPU with 4 cores ;) stick a picture in that shows a pentium 4 and then say the other photo is of a modern CPU with 4 cores

show the underside of the pins of the pentium 4, say that modern AMD and older Intel CPUs use socketed motherboards and have pins on the CPU that are easily bent, and modern Intel uses LGA, pins on the motherboard and just pads on the CPU 

tell them that the metal part above the DIE is the IHS

tell them that delidding a modern AMD or older Intel CPUs will 99.5% fuck up the die

might want to talk to them about northbridge and south bridge on older motherboards, B is southbridge and E is northbridge (in anything intel older than 1155, the iGPU is in the northbridge, in 1155+, it's in the CPU, and southbrige is gone on LGA 1156)

talk about AGP and PCIe

say D-Sub or VGA

might want to talk about removing sata cables, and removing LGA 775+ cooler

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I feel as though the lesson should be renamed: "Desktop Computer Disassembly" instead of how to take apart a desktop computer.

Simple is better.

OK i'm not even through page one and this is a mess.

Steps should be titled. Step one should be: "Remove the side panel." Step 2 should be "Remove the Serial Port" followed by a detailed paragraph of the process, annotated with references to images should they need to be made (which in every case here it is).

attached with my notes. I assume this is a technical writing class. You have work to do...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

On most dell computers, he opening method is different, so you might want to include that because they are very common "junk PCs"

Your markings are not well visible. Use black text with white borders to alleviate that.

Have some arrows pointed to the plugs you're talking about.

Also, why are you talking about how things work if that doesn't have anything to do with the disassembly itself? Is that part of the assignment?

Maybe you should add that they need to be careful to not rip the CPU out together with the heatsink (how often I saw that happen with AMD!)

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

14 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

Think a car manual. You want to pull the turbo out. The guide does not spend a paragraph telling you exactly how the turbo works. You just want the guide to tell you how to take it out.

exactly right. this is what the back section of a guide book is for. list the parts alphabetically and explain there, not in the guide.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

System specs:

16 hours ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

15 hours ago, knightslugger said:

I've added a few more notes to this in the attached. Try an not use capital letters when it shouldn't be used. I think I noticed most of them, but may have missed some so worth double checking (this is one of the few grammar things that actually irritates me). There are a few sentence structure/wording changes I've suggested, not sure if you want to use them. I even withheld comment on the N. American spelling of aluminium!!!!.  ;)

17 hours ago, juretrn said:

Your markings are not well visible. Use black text with white borders to alleviate that.

Have some arrows pointed to the plugs you're talking about.

Also, why are you talking about how things work if that doesn't have anything to do with the disassembly itself? Is that part of the assignment?

Maybe you should add that they need to be careful to not rip the CPU out together with the heatsink (how often I saw that happen with AMD!)

Agree, maybe some special side notes.  Not a whole bunch, but a few tid bits.

I agree with what others have stated so far.  The main part of the document should focus on the disassembly and be simple.

For more detail information, have a section at the end for that info.

Maybe small footnotes that link to the back for quick reference if students want to know more.  Depending on what you are using to build the PDF.  You can easily do small links to extra information within the document.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Maybey create a powerpoint displaying the basic components of a computer and then maybey make up some diagrams with cpations that explain the different steps to building a computer. 

just rip off the A+ study material.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

@knightslugger @IntMD @DiscoDuck101 @TheBeastPC  Thank you for all the suggestions. I will put them into effect ASAP.

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler