Wanting to upgrade a pre-build PC (Dell Inspiron 3847)

Mcwamkw1

First off I KNOW THAT I SHOULD JUST BUILD A COMPUTER  MYSELF INSTEAD OF UPGRADING A PRE-BUILD PC!

I'm new to the whole "PC master race" and wish to learn as I go. At some point I will make my own PC but I wish to slowly work my way towards that as I work a part time job and am going to college so money is a little tight. before I got my Dell Inspiron I had a crap Samsung laptop that had an Intel Pentium that sucked real bad. My current PC has and Intel i3-4150, Intel HD 4400 (I hate this SO MUCH), Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB, and 4 Gigs of DDR3 ram (Will be upgrading to 8 soon). What I want to do is upgrade my GPU, CPU AND PSU (Mainly because its a 300w power supply and that won't cut it for what I want it for).

I want to know is it possible to upgrade the CPU of the Dell Inspiron 3847 to something like an Intel i5 or even a Ryzen 3 or 5? 

Also should I get a GTX 1050TI, GTX 1060 3GB or 6GB?

And what power supply would work well with the case of the Dell Inspiron 3847?

I've seen videos of people putting a  CORSAIR CX Series CX500 500W PSU into there Dell Inspiron 3847 and I wondered if would work well with the PC. 

I want this computer to run games well and to do video editing for when I"m in college but at the same time I don't want this to put a hole in my wallet. I know from my post you guys probably think I don't know much about this to be doing this in the first place and I cant argue with you about that but all i'm asking for is some guidance in making a good purchase and also to learn a thing or two about how computers work. Thanks for reading this post and I hope you guys can help!

6 minutes ago, Mcwamkw1 said:

First off I KNOW THAT I SHOULD JUST BUILD A COMPUTER  MYSELF INSTEAD OF UPGRADING A PRE-BUILD PC!

I'm new to the whole "PC master race" and wish to learn as I go. At some point I will make my own PC but I wish to slowly work my way towards that as I work a part time job and am going to college so money is a little tight. before I got my Dell Inspiron I had a crap Samsung laptop that had an Intel Pentium that sucked real bad. My current PC has and Intel i3-4150, Intel HD 4400 (I hate this SO MUCH), Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 500GB, and 4 Gigs of DDR3 ram (Will be upgrading to 8 soon). What I want to do is upgrade my GPU, CPU AND PSU (Mainly because its a 300w power supply and that won't cut it for what I want it for).

I want to know is it possible to upgrade the CPU of the Dell Inspiron 3847 to something like an Intel i5 or even a Ryzen 3 or 5? 

Also should I get a GTX 1050TI, GTX 1060 3GB or 6GB?

And what power supply would work well with the case of the Dell Inspiron 3847?

I've seen videos of people putting a  CORSAIR CX Series CX500 500W PSU into there Dell Inspiron 3847 and I wondered if would work well with the PC. 

I want this computer to run games well and to do video editing for when I"m in college but at the same time I don't want this to put a hole in my wallet. I know from my post you guys probably think I don't know much about this to be doing this in the first place and I cant argue with you about that but all i'm asking for is some guidance in making a good purchase and also to learn a thing or two about how computers work. Thanks for reading this post and I hope you guys can help!

you can upgrade to a 4000 series i5 or i7. not ryzen tough.

You can get a 1050 ti that only uses motherboard power. anything higher and you will need a better psu

Im probably going to get an 1060 over the 1050 ti mainly because its just a better value even if i got to buy a new power supply. No hate for people that use 1050 ti cards but i want something above the norm. Also i want this to run games like battlefield 4 and CSGO well. I only have a 730 HD TV and I only play a couple of easy to run games (Half-Life 2, Garrys Mod, Counter Strike, and Portal 2). I just want them to run at above 60 fps and run at high to ultra graphics. Also What 4000 series CPU do you recommend? 

4 minutes ago, Mcwamkw1 said:

Im probably going to get an 1060 over the 1050 ti mainly because its just a better value even if i got to buy a new power supply. No hate for people that use 1050 ti cards but i want something above the norm. Also i want this to run games like battlefield 4 and CSGO well. I only have a 730 HD TV and I only play a couple of easy to run games (Half-Life 2, Garrys Mod, Counter Strike, and Portal 2). I just want them to run at above 60 fps and run at high to ultra graphics. Also What 4000 series CPU do you recommend? 

Something like the i5 4440 would go good with a 1060

Buy a pre-built was my first idea as well, and I found out this out the hard way: a lot of the parts inside pre-builts is proprietary meaning it is very hard to upgrade. You should be able to change most of your parts, CPU GPU HHD and RAM.

I will start with the CPU. They have sockets, or you can think of them as plugs, in which the CPU sits. Some include LGA 1150, LGA 1155 (both are used by intel) and AM4. You CAN NOT put an LGA 1150 CPU into say an LGA 1155 socket. It just won't work. Your processor uses LGA 1150, so you will need CPU's with the same socket. The only way to change your socket is to change your motherboard and as that is a proprietary part from Dell, that won't be possible.

For entry level gaming or PC making, buying a pre built and then adding a graphics card (GPU) is a very good way to go about it. It is relatively cheap and you can carry you GPU over to your new PC with relative ease. I'm guessing you can install a GPU if not there are many videos online about it. Tbh, the 1050 TI and 1060 are very similar, so I would just get which ever one you can afford.

Your power supply (PSU) may be an issue on multiple counts. GPU takes a combination of six and eight pin cables. So maybe one six pins, or two eight pins. You need to check that you PSU actually has them and if not you can't run your GPU. The other problem you may have is installing a new PSU. PSU's come in different sizes but they are mainly ATX or SFX, I have no idea if your case fits either of those standards or any others, again because Dell uses proprietary standards that can not be bought as a consumer.

Sorry for this negative post, but there's not so much you can do.

Hope this help anyway :)

important figure in mensa

I did some more digging and saw someone use a SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W PSU with this Dell computer. would that be good if paired with a gtx 1060 and an i5 4400? Also would the Intel Core i3-4150 effect the gtx 1060 to were it would run worse?