Nintendo 3DS

Hello, I used to own a Nintendo 3DS that qualified as an "Ambassador" (basically you got almost all the classic games from the n64 and such for free because you paid $300 for the system). It was a cool device but I didn't really play it much...so I sold it and bought my R9 380. (I may or may not regret that decision)

Now however I have a urge to play a game that was released at launch with my 3DS (which I still own):

So I have been looking around and thanks to some funds I received from eBay form selling an i5-3470 I kinda want to buy another 3DS. 

There are all kinds of new models at caring prices but I was looking at the "new 3DS XL" and discovered this video:

So apparently there is a lottery as to what kind of display you get, either IPS or TN on either or both the top and bottom displays......I was really shocked to hear this and is kinda surprising. You could pick up two of the same system and get completely different displays......which is really shitty. 

I haven't decided if I even want to pick one up again just for one or two games or even which model to get. 

But regardless of all that what do you think about the vast difference in quality of these displays and do you think it's right for Nintendo to offer such an inconsistent experience?   

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

For the people who buy 3ds's this isn't a big concern.I feel it's wrong that they do this,but nobody really cared so yeah.

I would get a 2DS XL instead of a new 3DS because you can get one new for the same price,and it's not like you use 3D anyway's

My life

4 minutes ago, Himommies said:

2DS XL instead

I've looked at them but imo they look absolutely disgusting. The build is so bulky and the only color option is gross. Black and Turquoise is a big no xD 

Oh and apparently the speakers are not loud at all.  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I've looked at them but imo they look absolutely disgusting. The build is so bulky and the only color option is gross. Black and Turquoise is a big no xD  

Why does Japan get all the cool colors

In that case go for it,I honestly found that the IPS thing never bothered me and my brother since we had 1 IPS and 1 TN as long as you don't use 3D at extreme angles,but then again you should never use 3D.

My life

Honestly, the screen never bothered me due to the fact that no matter which one you get, it's still a crappy 240 display.

One screen is a turd, the other is just a polished turn.

I've put up with the crappy displays because the 3DS game library is fantastic. As for which one to get, the New 3DS and New 3DS XL are the best two models. The New 3DS is a bit hard to find though, as it only had a limited release last holiday season.

7 hours ago, linkboy said:

Honestly, the screen never bothered me due to the fact that no matter which one you get, it's still a crappy 240 display.

To add on, unless 1 is TN and the other is IPS you wouldn't really notice a difference unless you play your 3DS not from the center or if you have a 3DS that's both IPS and another that's both TN and you compare it.

Also consider the New 2DS XL rather than the old one.

To be honest the whether its IPS or not I doubt it will effect it all that much.  Kinda interesting to find out.  If I'm not mistaken though the resolution is the same regardless and the only thing different with the "New 3DS" models is slightly faster processor which enable it to play "New 3DS" titles like Hyrule Warriors 3ds, Xenoblad Chronicles etc. Personally I'm still rocking my OG 3DS XL

On 8/8/2017 at 8:31 AM, LordTaco42 said:

To be honest the whether its IPS or not I doubt it will effect it all that much.  Kinda interesting to find out.  If I'm not mistaken though the resolution is the same regardless and the only thing different with the "New 3DS" models is slightly faster processor which enable it to play "New 3DS" titles like Hyrule Warriors 3ds, Xenoblad Chronicles etc. Personally I'm still rocking my OG 3DS XL

The resolution is the same, but the New 3DS models have improved the 3D so it tracks better and they have the circle pad pro built into for the games that support it.

The CPU is also faster, as you mentioned.

This info about the screens been out for quiet some time.

The only major benefit I see from the New 3DS is the faster processor.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I don't really think the TN or IPS would make a noticeable difference on that small of a screen.

I would recommend picking up either a New 3ds XL or a New 2ds XL,I don't really think the colours look that bad for the 2ds XL as you mentioned above.

Also If you do go with the New 3ds XL and would be buying it by next month I would recommend picking up the limited edition Metroid one, it looks really good.

On 8/8/2017 at 6:49 PM, AG1233 said:

I don't really think the TN or IPS would make a noticeable difference on that small of a screen.

I would recommend picking up either a New 3ds XL or a New 2ds XL,I don't really think the colours look that bad for the 2ds XL as you mentioned above.

Also If you do go with the New 3ds XL and would be buying it by next month I would recommend picking up the limited edition Metroid one, it looks really good.

-snip-

Shit that looks awesome not gonna lie if I didn't already have my normal 3DS XL then I would be all over that.

31 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

Shit that looks awesome not gonna lie if I didn't already have my normal 3DS XL then I would be all over that.

Yeah Nintendo limited editions consoles are really good,I am kinda in a same boat would have gotten one if I already didnt have 2.

Just now, AG1233 said:

Yeah Nintendo limited editions consoles are really good,I am kinda in a same boat would have gotten one if I already didnt have 2.

Yeah I actually went as far to get a custom Fire Emblem Decal Sticker to put on my 3DS XL since the Awakening patterned one only released on the regular 3DS.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:58 PM, linkboy said:

One screen is a turd, the other is just a polished turn.

I've put up with the crappy displays because the 3DS game library is fantastic. As for which one to get, the New 3DS and New 3DS XL are the best two models. The New 3DS is a bit hard to find though, as it only had a limited release last holiday season.

To be fair, the display was fairly decent for the time, and I felt it was superior to the iPhone 3GS display in most respects. It's just that smartphone displays have improved many, many fold since then at a rapid pace. I'd have liked for Nintendo to require games (from the beginning) to be able to scale to higher resolutions on future devices, and then put out devices with a higher res display and better (scaled up) GPU.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

To be fair, the display was fairly decent for the time, and I felt it was superior to the iPhone 3GS display in most respects. It's just that smartphone displays have improved many, many fold since then at a rapid pace. I'd have liked for Nintendo to require games (from the beginning) to be able to scale to higher resolutions on future devices, and then put out devices with a higher res display and better (scaled up) GPU.

The 3GS released in 2009, the 3DS was in 2011. The iPhone 4, released a year before the 3DS, had a 960×640 screen. Nintendo was behind on screen technology from day one.

I much rather would have had Nintendo drop the 3D aspect of the system and put a better screen in the system.

On 8/7/2017 at 7:17 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Hello, I used to own a Nintendo 3DS that qualified as an "Ambassador" (basically you got almost all the classic games from the n64 and such for free because you paid $300 for the system). It was a cool device but I didn't really play it much...so I sold it and bought my R9 380. (I may or may not regret that decision)

Now however I have a urge to play a game that was released at launch with my 3DS (which I still own):

So I have been looking around and thanks to some funds I received from eBay form selling an i5-3470 I kinda want to buy another 3DS. 

There are all kinds of new models at caring prices but I was looking at the "new 3DS XL" and discovered this video:

So apparently there is a lottery as to what kind of display you get, either IPS or TN on either or both the top and bottom displays......I was really shocked to hear this and is kinda surprising. You could pick up two of the same system and get completely different displays......which is really shitty. 

I haven't decided if I even want to pick one up again just for one or two games or even which model to get. 

But regardless of all that what do you think about the vast difference in quality of these displays and do you think it's right for Nintendo to offer such an inconsistent experience?   

I dont think their that incosnsistant. Ive seen 9 in my town of 2000 people and their all fine

11 hours ago, linkboy said:

The 3GS released in 2009, the 3DS was in 2011. The iPhone 4, released a year before the 3DS, had a 960×640 screen. Nintendo was behind on screen technology from day one.

I much rather would have had Nintendo drop the 3D aspect of the system and put a better screen in the system.

Physically speaking, the display was 800 x 240, though thanks to 3d, the effective resolution was halved (many Android phones had 800 x 480 displays around 2010-2011). Some 3DS games did thankfully use SSAA to subdue the jaggies a bit, though that display still serves to be a thorn in otherwise good looking 3DS titles.

I do agree though. A nice 800 x 480 IPS display would have been a much better choice that would still be within the realms of capability for the GPU.

My eyes see the past…

5 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well, nothing beats the PS Vita's screen as far as portable consoles go :3

Too bad the PS Vita wasn't very successful enough for a decent varied library

The proprietary media was an unfortunate decision on Sony's part. While that alone didn't kill the console, increasing the upfront cost is not likely to do adoption any favors.

My eyes see the past…