I want to make a home server

Just now, RandomGuy13 said:

One of the best things about a nas is that it is on 24/7. If you get a nas unit like a synology, WD nas or many others, They are so low power that it doesnt matter its on for hours, They have quite sophisticated sleep modes and they are quite low power to begin with verses a old computer. And its not like you cant just tell it to turn off at certain hours. My nas turns off at 2 in the morning and on at 7 because I dont need it during the night, if you are hosting a website of it then maybe you would.

You have the flexibility and option of doing whatever you want.

NAS's are basically computers right? so could you run a website of it?

One of the best things about a nas is that it is on 24/7. If you get a nas unit like a synology, WD nas or many others, They are so low power that it doesnt matter its on for hours, They have quite sophisticated sleep modes and they are quite low power to begin with verses a old computer. And its not like you cant just tell it to turn off at certain hours. My nas turns off at 2 in the morning and on at 7 because I dont need it during the night, if you are hosting a website of it then maybe you would.

You have the flexibility and option of doing whatever you want.

But if the files that OP needs to share/store aren't vital to, for example, keep his business running or getting his degree. Is it really worth it?

1 minute ago, Untippable said:

NAS's are basically computers right? so could you run a website of it?

I don't think so NAS means Network Attatched Storage. Keyword being storage. So I assume that they are specially optimised for...storage. RandomGuy13 probably knows the answer to this.

Your router is on 24/7 most likely, as is your fridge and freezer and maybe some other things. There is very litle chance of it burning the house down especially as they are normally quite low power. As for quiet my synology unit is pretty quite, I have it on a piece of packaging foam to dampen the vibrations and have it in a cabinet unit and it is basically inaudible.

Can i run a website in a NAS?

Absolutely.

Ok thanks what OS is it?

If you want a cheap server, get a used Dell R610 or R710 from ebay. The 610 only supports 2.5" drives while the 710 supports 3.5" drives. They are very quiet and reliable units.

Running a server and hosting a website also requires knowledge of how to setup the OS, be it Linux or Windows, how to port forward, and basic security around the website so someone doesn't just come in and hijack it because you left the default password to admin or something.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, RandomGuy13 said:

NAS as a name is a bit of a misnomer. There are however some nas devices that don't support other software like web servers so you should check before you buy, Some WD ones I think might not support it, But if your building your own nas from an old computer or are buying a nas that does support other software then absolutely. Synology and qnap devices all support other features like VPN servers, Web Servers, Torrent servers, you can even run third party software as its likely just an ARM computer running a version of linux. If you have a powerfull enough one you could theoretically run a game server like Minecraft, CSGO, any multiplayer game that supports LAN servers on linux and ARM which are few admittedly. This is actually where a old computer as a nas would be better than a synology box or similar.

What NAS's are powerful enough to run a Minecraft server for example.

NAS as a name is a bit of a misnomer. There are however some nas devices that don't support other software like web servers so you should check before you buy, Some WD ones I think might not support it, But if your building your own nas from an old computer or are buying a nas that does support other software then absolutely. Synology and qnap devices all support other features like VPN servers, Web Servers, Torrent servers, you can even run third party software as its likely just an ARM computer running a version of linux. If you have a powerfull enough one you could theoretically run a game server like Minecraft, CSGO, any multiplayer game that supports LAN servers on linux and ARM which are few admittedly. This is actually where a old computer as a nas would be better than a synology box or similar.

Interesting, thanks for the info! You clearly know your sh*t when it comes to this stuff xD 

Just now, Untippable said:

What NAS's are powerful enough to run a Minecraft server for example.

Please don't buy a NAS to run a Minecraft server. Please. I beg.

Just now, DiscoDuck101 said:

Please don't buy a NAS to run a Minecraft server. Please. I beg.

Why whats wrong with that?

Just now, Untippable said:

You might as well just burn the money.

Synology NAS run a proprietary OS based on linux, You can technically install other stuff but it may void warranty and you dont need to for most stuff.

WD nas vary between what they can run but some can run other stuff

Im not 100% sure about other ones like Qnap and stuff but I have a feeling they can run what ever you want.

If you want to use an old computer though you have even more choice, FreeNAS and NAS4Free are good choices if you are more of a beginner, You could run Windows Server or something like CentOS or UnRAID though there are a little more advance to configure. 

Thanks would i have to portforward to run it out of my network (Minecraft server)

You can literally run it right from your pc...spend the money on upgrading your pc and you'll have no issues plus a faster computer.

27 minutes ago, Untippable said:

I need help on making a really good home server i dont have a budget yet but could someone recommend hardware to buy.

Dear OP.

If you're just looking for a machine to host some files off of and maybe run a website, just build a standard mITX system and wire it up next to your router. Fill it with hard drives. If you don't need to do heavy compute on it or anything put a nice low power dual-core i3 in it and you're off to the races.

If you're looking for something to host game servers and other compute heavy tasks on, build a more traditional tower with a decent amount of power behind it but skip the graphics card. i5 or preferable i7 depending on what kinds of games. Solid state storage is typically better to prevent issues and delays with loading files on the server.

If you're doing highly parallel tasks that have GPGPU support such as mining or folding@home, then get a decently powerful system and a graphics card, basically building a traditional system.

If for some reason you have your heart set on getting a rackmount server then it's basically the same as the cases above but RIP with regards to case compatibility and height restrictions.

Figure out what the point of this server is, because until you know that asking for what to build is pointless. If it's just a system to throw money in the garbage because you can, then may I suggest an i9-7980X, a high end x299 motherboard, 128GB of RAM, 8TB of NVMe ssd storage, and a 1600W power supply?

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Dear OP.

If you're just looking for a machine to host some files off of and maybe run a website, just build a standard mITX system and wire it up next to your router. Fill it with hard drives. If you don't need to do heavy compute on it or anything put a nice low power dual-core i3 in it and you're off to the races.

If you're looking for something to host game servers and other compute heavy tasks on, build a more traditional tower with a decent amount of power behind it but skip the graphics card. i5 or preferable i7 depending on what kinds of games. Solid state storage is typically better to prevent issues and delays with loading files on the server.

If you're doing highly parallel tasks that have GPGPU support such as mining or folding@home, then get a decently powerful system and a graphics card, basically building a traditional system.

If for some reason you have your heart set on getting a rackmount server then it's basically the same as the cases above but RIP with regards to case compatibility and height restrictions.

Figure out what the point of this server is, because until you know that asking for what to build is pointless. If it's just a system to throw money in the garbage because you can, then may I suggest an i9-7980X, a high end x299 motherboard, 128GB of RAM, 8TB of NVMe ssd storage, and a 1600W power supply?

Thanks right now i have a really bad laptop

Totally agreed. I might have made it seem a little too easy.

If you want to be serious about hosting a server that you intend to be public, Search engine indexable and for attracting an audience then you should be doing it right and you should understand the precautions and risks you are putting yourself through.

As for the server recommendations a rackmount 1u server may not be suitable in this case if you want something quite lol. But if you want to do it properly and for more than just a storage server then this guy is probably more qualified than me.

For some reason, and I suspect black magic was involved, Dell managed to make their servers cool and quiet, even at 1RU. I have a Dell R610 and R620 server sitting in my closet and when I go to sleep at night, I hear nothing, even when they are under decent load. They are noisy at 100% fan speed, not saying they can't get loud, just they haven't gotten to that point yet :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Untippable said:

Thanks right now i have a really bad laptop

I'd honestly look at getting a good machine first. Years ago when I built a pc with a fx-8150 and 8gb of ram I was able to run a minecraft server and play minecraft at the same time seamlessly.

Just now, kitsune1324 said:

I'd honestly look at getting a good machine first. Years ago when I built a pc with a fx-8150 and 8gb of ram I was able to run a minecraft server and play minecraft at the same time seamlessly.

Ok how much money do you reccomend to spend on my first PC

Ok how much money do you reccomend to spend on my first PC

When I built my first pc I spend just under 1k. Keep in mind this was all brand new components. Now days you can build a pretty badass pc for cheap, just check out Scrapyard Wars.

Just now, kitsune1324 said:

When I built my first pc I spend just under 1k. Keep in mind this was all brand new components. Now days you can build a pretty badass pc for cheap, just check out Scrapyard Wars.

ok :)

On 8/7/2017 at 11:56 PM, Not_Sean said:

Its way cheaper to just buy more dropbox space and do Selective sync than throwing in Harddrives

I dont trust cloud based servers with my data, especially not dropbox xD