I want to make a home server

I need help on making a really good home server i dont have a budget yet but could someone recommend hardware to buy.

What will you be using the server for? You must have some rough figure in mind for the most you would be willing to spend.

Just now, DiscoDuck101 said:

What will you be using the server for? 

Storing files and moving files around what else can you do with it?

2 minutes ago, Untippable said:

Storing files and moving files around what else can you do with it?

Well I meant music or video or games etc. No need to be sarcastic, only trying to help you out.

Well I meant music or video or games etc. No need to be sarcastic.

OP, this can really change what hardware you'll want. Just saying.

Well I meant music or video or games etc. No need to be sarcastic, only trying to help you out.

Really i never knew you could run games  thats cool

Just now, Untippable said:

Well a server is just another computer.

I have a GPU in my server and I stream steam games to my low-power laptop at max graphics.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

I have a GPU in my server and I stream steam games to my low-power laptop at max graphics.

Cool how do you stream?

Cool how do you stream?

Its a built in feature of steam if I have steam installed on both devices and logged in on both.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

I still have a chuckle at how many people build up a home server to just share a 2tb drive on the network. I'll just sit over here with my Seagate Personal cloud smiling :) 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Cool how do you stream?

Nvidia Game Stream I presume? Correct me if I'm wrong suchamoneypit.

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

I still have a chuckle at how many people build up a home server to just share a 2tb drive on the network. I'll just sit over here with my Seagate Personal cloud smiling :) 

I feel like people really just need a good nas. Storage galore plus redundancy!

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Or you know...just put a couple more drives into 1 PC rather than faffing around with the network stuff and spending possibly hundreds on a whole server.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy13 said:

If you are just using it as a file server then something like a Synology DiskStation DS215j will do you fine, you can pick one up for about £150 and stick a few WD red drives init and have a raid array for storing files. even this solution is a bit overkill but is better than using an older computer because they use too much power.

That being said if you have an older computer that should work fine, Install FreeNas, CentOS, unraid or what ever os you want, Stick a gigabit NIC if the computer doesn't already have one and there is your file and media server.

You can also use it for hosting a website, automatic backups of PCs, VPN server or a whole lot more.

If i was going to host a website couldnt my network be DDosed?

If i was going to host a website couldnt my network be DDosed?

What do you actually need this server for?

Just now, RandomGuy13 said:

I disagree, A nice nas solution is pretty fun to setup and is a whole lot better than just having one computer always on and having to configure all the portforwarding to get internet access to the files. I Mean it depends on what you use it for. I guess if you're the only one who uses it then there's not much wrong with your suggestion.

I understand your point, but OP hasn't told us what he needs this server for, his budget, who is using it etc etc.

1 minute ago, kitsune1324 said:

I feel like people really just need a good nas. Storage galore plus redundancy!

Or you know...just put a couple more drives into 1 PC rather than faffing around with the network stuff.

hahaha agree with both of you, Fell like the "Home Server" thing is very 10 years ago when you needed on to do all the cool things but now days pretty pointless specially with cloud storage at the level it is, Its way cheaper to just buy more dropbox space and do Selective sync than throwing in Harddrives, but guess its "cool" to say you have a home server.

Only thing @DiscoDuck101 where the Seagate one is awesome its already configured to talk with my smart TV and tablets no need to faf with all that stuff on the windows server. just plug and play. I spend all day working on servers, last thing I want to do is come home and work on a pointless one in my own home. 

*I do know some people oh here actually use it for more than file share, and not mocking you, mocking the guys who use it just for file share. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, DiscoDuck101 said:

What do you actually need this server for?

I've just wanted to have a home server for more space and if i host a website can my network be ddosed?

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

hahaha agree with both of you, Fell like the "Home Server" thing is very 10 years ago when you needed on to do all the cool things but now days pretty pointless specially with cloud storage at the level it is, Its way cheaper to just buy more dropbox space and do Selective sync than throwing in Harddrives, but guess its "cool" to say you have a home server.

Only thing @DiscoDuck101 where the Seagate one is awesome its already configured to talk with my smart TV and tablets no need to faf with all that stuff on the windows server. just plug and play. I spend all day working on servers, last thing I want to do is come home and work on a pointless one in my own home. 

*I do know some people oh here actually use it for more than file share, and not mocking you, mocking the guys who use it just for file share. 

I'm all for getting a NAS! That is if you actually need it and won't be wasting your money. If you just want to store your Steam games, some files/pictures, its not necessary. Just spend a fraction of the cost of a server on some WD red drives and throw them into his current PC, if he has one which I assume he does.

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

I'm working on building a NAS right now, planning on using it for file sharing, plex, redundant + lots of storage, etc. The Fiance' has issues with losing data, especially bad since she's working on her PHD.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy13 said:

As long as you have a reasonable internet connection its probably fine for a small site, I mean there is technically that risk and that might disrupt your internet for a bit but its not something that should prevent you from hosting a website. There is plenty of anti DOS attack features in web servers that its not really a big problem unless your site is so popular that you might as well host it on a proper server. A lot of small business host their website in house.

Wouldn't i have to keep it 24/7 if i wanted my website to be 24/7

1 minute ago, Untippable said:

Wouldn't i have to keep it 24/7 if i wanted my website to be 24/7

That is really one of the main points of having a server, be it storage or web hosting. 24/7 reliability.

That is really one of the main points of having a server, be it storage or web hosting. 24/7 reliability.

I want it be very quiet and not burn the house down lmao