Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fontaine

Whats the point in upgrading

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Ryzen Threadripper + Vega... that what I want my next build to be, however, what the hell is the point, I'm running a FX 8350 OC's to 4.6GHZ and a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x, and I'm getting 90 FPS in doom, 60 in BF1 and Titan Fall 2, all on ultra.... same with most games to be fair (excluding Fall Out 4 for some reason, guessing bad optimisation). So the only reason I can think of to upgrade would be 4k.... but seeing as I have a fairly new ultra wide, can I really justify that? Why is everyone upgrading, running older tech then mine?

 

The only real reason I can think of is audio production as some of my virtual synths (Diva) sucks up all my CPU but there are ways to deal with this also.

 

Anyone running old tech and still getting very acceptable FPS? What everyone thoughts on this matter? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sell that R9 290, it's selling at a good price right now


Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

(Planned upgrades: RTX 3070? RX 6700XT?)

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ | GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2PV | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 | Intel "UrFPSGon" HD Graphics 4600 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Spare Laptop (HP Elitebook 850 G2)/Gaming Laptop (Legion Y7000)/Old Server

Spoiler

Elitebook: i7 5500U | 8GB DDR3L-1333 | 500GB SAMSUNG 860 Evo | AMD R7 M260 (I found this in a garbage bin at the airport)

Legion: i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Old Server: FX8120 | ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | 8GB Chinese RAM | Radeon HD 5000 Series iGPU | 4TB HDD | 275GB SSD


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JDE said:

Sell that R9 290, it's selling at a good price right now

30 megahash but stupid power consumption.


Personal laptop

2018 15 inch MBP 2.2Ghz 16gb 256gb 555x


Work laptop: 

HP Zbook 15 G6 i7-9850H Quadro T1000 32gb ram 1tb SSD 

 

iPhone XS space gray 64gb

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gofunk said:

Ryzen Threadripper + Vega... that what I want my next build to be, however, what the hell is the point, I'm running a FX 8350 OC's to 4.6GHZ and a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x, and I'm getting 90 FPS in doom, 60 in BF1 and Titan Fall 2, all on ultra.... same with most games to be fair (excluding Fall Out 4 for some reason, guessing bad optimisation). So the only reason I can think of to upgrade would be 4k.... but seeing as I have a fairly new ultra wide, can I really justify that? Why is everyone upgrading, running older tech then mine?

 

The only real reason I can think of is audio production as some of my virtual synths (Diva) sucks up all my CPU but there are ways to deal with this also.

 

Anyone running old tech and still getting very acceptable FPS? What everyone thoughts on this matter? 

because needs change over time. threadripper is a great productivity platform, and that's about it.


[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

 

 

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I have no idea what the R9 290's are selling for but good a good price when I bought it. Might swap out for a Vega 56 when it comes out but TDP on the new Vega cards looks bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gofunk said:

I have no idea what is selling for but good a good price when I bought it. Might swap out for a Vega 56 when it comes out but TDP on the new Vega cards looks bad

What's your power supply currently?


Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

(Planned upgrades: RTX 3070? RX 6700XT?)

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ | GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2PV | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 | Intel "UrFPSGon" HD Graphics 4600 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Spare Laptop (HP Elitebook 850 G2)/Gaming Laptop (Legion Y7000)/Old Server

Spoiler

Elitebook: i7 5500U | 8GB DDR3L-1333 | 500GB SAMSUNG 860 Evo | AMD R7 M260 (I found this in a garbage bin at the airport)

Legion: i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Old Server: FX8120 | ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | 8GB Chinese RAM | Radeon HD 5000 Series iGPU | 4TB HDD | 275GB SSD


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gofunk said:

I have no idea what is selling for but good a good price when I bought it. Might swap out for a Vega 56 when it comes out but TDP on the new Vega cards looks bad

performance is also way up, so maybe for you it's not worth it.


[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

 

 

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, JDE said:

What's your power supply currently?

750 I believe, its been a while!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Short answer. Because they can. 

 

Other than that, if you have no incentive to upgrade, economical or otherwise, you can get away with some pretty old hardware if you have intimate knowledge of your resource usage for the software you use. Then there's stuff like performance envelopes you wish to abide by (1080p/60hz/144hz etc). I have to stress though, that an R9 290 when brand new was a pretty damn good performer. So, for most games, you fell into the bracket of buying good now, and upgrading later. If you had something like an R9 270 or something, I believe you'd be singing a somewhat different tune. Sure, it can do the same things, but the difference is how it does it.

 

There is also the matter of ease of use. Heftier performance generally nets you a more streamlined user experience without the need to tinker with your software or games to even things out. You just crank options up, max any presets, jump in and forget about it.


OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gofunk said:

750 I believe, its been a while!

What model?


Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

(Planned upgrades: RTX 3070? RX 6700XT?)

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ | GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2PV | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 | Intel "UrFPSGon" HD Graphics 4600 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Spare Laptop (HP Elitebook 850 G2)/Gaming Laptop (Legion Y7000)/Old Server

Spoiler

Elitebook: i7 5500U | 8GB DDR3L-1333 | 500GB SAMSUNG 860 Evo | AMD R7 M260 (I found this in a garbage bin at the airport)

Legion: i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Old Server: FX8120 | ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | 8GB Chinese RAM | Radeon HD 5000 Series iGPU | 4TB HDD | 275GB SSD


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gofunk said:

 

if you dont need to upgrade...then dont upgrade

im still running Phenom X6 and GTX 1060

perfectly fine for 1080p gaming and photo editing

 

 


Photography / Finance / Gaming

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, JDE said:

What model?

just had to look it up as couldnt remember! it's a OCZ 750W Fatal1ty Series Semi-Modular PSU

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gofunk said:

just had to look it up as couldnt remember! it's a OCZ 750W Fatal1ty Series Semi-Modular PSU

Even if you only upgraded to lets say a 1060 I would still recommend upgrading that.


Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

(Planned upgrades: RTX 3070? RX 6700XT?)

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ | GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2PV | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 | Intel "UrFPSGon" HD Graphics 4600 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Spare Laptop (HP Elitebook 850 G2)/Gaming Laptop (Legion Y7000)/Old Server

Spoiler

Elitebook: i7 5500U | 8GB DDR3L-1333 | 500GB SAMSUNG 860 Evo | AMD R7 M260 (I found this in a garbage bin at the airport)

Legion: i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Old Server: FX8120 | ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | 8GB Chinese RAM | Radeon HD 5000 Series iGPU | 4TB HDD | 275GB SSD


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, JDE said:

Even if you only upgraded to lets say a 1060 I would still recommend upgrading that.

Yeah it's a bit light on output by today's standards!

 

Plus would a 1060 do much better than my R9 290?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gofunk said:

Yeah it's a bit light on output by today's standards!

 

Plus would a 1060 do much better than my R9 290?

Nah 750W is fine but that quality is a bit meh


Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 4.0 | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3 | EVGA BR/BT? no. noooo. | buy (almost) anything except focus

 

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX VEGA 64 | NZXT H510 | GIGABYTE G750H PSU | MasterLiquid ML240L

(Planned upgrades: RTX 3070? RX 6700XT?)

 

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-4720HQ | GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2PV | 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1866 | Intel "UrFPSGon" HD Graphics 4600 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

 

Spare Laptop (HP Elitebook 850 G2)/Gaming Laptop (Legion Y7000)/Old Server

Spoiler

Elitebook: i7 5500U | 8GB DDR3L-1333 | 500GB SAMSUNG 860 Evo | AMD R7 M260 (I found this in a garbage bin at the airport)

Legion: i5 8300H | 16GB RAM | 256GB SSD | 1TB HDD | 1050 Ti | Power Brick

Old Server: FX8120 | ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 | 8GB Chinese RAM | Radeon HD 5000 Series iGPU | 4TB HDD | 275GB SSD


 

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, JDE said:

Nah 750W is fine but that quality is a bit meh

Its lasted 7 years so far!

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Short answer. Because they can. 

 

Other than that, if you have no incentive to upgrade, economical or otherwise, you can get away with some pretty old hardware if you have intimate knowledge of your resource usage for the software you use. Then there's stuff like performance envelopes you wish to abide by (1080p/60hz/144hz etc). I have to stress though, that an R9 290 when brand new was a pretty damn good performer. So, for most games, you fell into the bracket of buying good now, and upgrading later. If you had something like an R9 270 or something, I believe you'd be singing a somewhat different tune. Sure, it can do the same things, but the difference is how it does it.

 

There is also the matter of ease of use. Heftier performance generally nets you a more streamlined user experience without the need to tinker with your software or games to even things out. You just crank options up, max any presets, jump in and forget about it.

Or you just play really old games.... all my games are before 2006, so I just max everything out and then my rig keeps the frame cap pinned the whole time. And I maxed out everything in Nvidia Control panel as well. I'm running a 980 Ti, but it did the same thing with my 1050 Ti. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread - Murica (But International) Parrot Gang

 

Big Rig (Archived) - (Current Main) - i7 6950X @ 4.2/3.5 1.24v/1.2v core/uncore - 80C max under P95 load - Custom Loop (CPU only): 2x 360GTS with EK-ZMT/Stubbies and EK D5 pump/res combo - EVGA X99 Classified - 48GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 + 4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo + 250GB 960 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG - 6x iPPC NF-F12 2000 
 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - 2.66Ghz quad cores - on the way) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - Nvidia 7300 GT (ATI HD 4870 512MB on the way) - 1TB + 2x 2TB HDDs (HDD sled on the way for a 4th drive) - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 525GB MX300) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox - iPhone X - iPhone 4S on iOS 6.1.3

 

whip and nae nae

Link to post
Share on other sites

People upgrade:

  • To get better performance.
  • To get something new and shiny.
  • To switch form factors.
  • To prepare for higher resolution gaming.
  • To replace damaged components.
  • To get the most for their components on the secondhand market.

Now, if you're fine with what you're playing at the resolution you're playing at, there's no need to upgrade. I upgrade every three-ish years because I find that's the best cost/performance ratio. Any earlier the gains aren't really there, any longer and the hardware is worth basically nothing.

24 minutes ago, Gofunk said:

I have no idea what the R9 290's are selling for but good a good price when I bought it. Might swap out for a Vega 56 when it comes out but TDP on the new Vega cards looks bad

Why are you worried about TDP?


Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Or you just play really old games.... all my games are before 2006, so I just max everything out and then my rig keeps the frame cap pinned the whole time. And I maxed out everything in Nvidia Control panel as well. I'm running a 980 Ti, but it did the same thing with my 1050 Ti. 

Yeah, it goes back to intimate knowledge of your applications. I could play plenty of my stuff on my old 7850s. Can I? Yes. Would I now? Hell no :P


OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×