Terminus (Work in progress)

Azaciel

Terminus was supposed to be an easier Command Prompt for Windows, now it's become more than that

It has nearly 3,000 lines of code by the time I'm posting this, it's being updated every single day, and you can view the updates and post suggestions here

It has 25 commands so far, such as "color" (able to change text/background color), "roll" which picks a random number between 1-6 like rolling dice, "timer" which sets a timer which counts down on seconds, "calc" which is a built-in calculator which can be used by typing "8 + 4" without the quotes or even doing semi-complex ones such as 9 + 3 / 24 * 45 + 3 - 6

You can customize the command line by typing "line" so instead of seeing "C:\Users\user>" you can set it to whatever you want (the default is a blank)

You can also customize the command line SYMBOL, which, in Linux is a $, if you've ever used a Linux terminal, you can set that to whatever symbol that floats your boat

I'm trying to make it nearly fully customize-able while adding more of the educational portion (researching countries, with their capitals, continents, population, land area, etc. that's really it so far, but over 20 countries are added)

I hope you enjoy, you can download it here by picking the latest version

I've attached a few screenshots

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

8 minutes ago, Azaciel said:

It's a simple batch file

with nearly 3,000 lines of code

Do you realise that those two statements are mutually exclusive?

"calc" which is a built-in calculator which can be used by typing "8 + 4" without the quotes or even doing semi-complex ones such as 9 + 3 / 24 * 45 + 3 - 6

Why wouldn't I simply use the far superior calculator that comes with Windows?

It has 25 command so far, such as "color" (able to change text/background color), "roll" which picks a random number between 1-6 like rolling dice, "timer" which sets a timer which counts down on seconds, "calc" which is a built-in calculator

I'm trying to make it nearly fully customize-able while adding more of the educational portion (researching countries, with their capitals, continents, population, land area, etc. that's really it so far, but over 20 countries are add

So it's a haphazard aggregation of commands and functions as well as a a confused assortment of other strange and unrelated functionalities?

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

As in "simple batch file" I meant, it's just a batch file, there's nothing else to it, purely batch

I never went in detail, I'll edit the post then

I also realized that I'm not the only one doing this sort of general thing, there's another "command prompt" that was developed called Dos9, and you people are giving me a little hate because I created one too called "Terminus"
I don't really understand that much

2 hours ago, Azaciel said:

As in "simple batch file" I meant, it's just a batch file, there's nothing else to it, purely batch

I never went in detail, I'll edit the post then

It doesn't really matter what it is. If there's 3K lines of code in a single place then that is by no means 'simple'. This is something that is only further compounded by the convoluted and confused set of functionality that's been layered on top of it. No I'm afraid that the end product is not 'simple' at all, it's just a mess O.o

I also realized that I'm not the only one doing this sort of general thing, there's another "command prompt" that was developed called Dos9

Which, by the look of it, is about as practical/useful as a chocolate fireguard and about as obsolete a concept... I'm sorry if you feel that this may be overly harsh criticism but it's simply garbage software, so why try to pretend that it's anything else?

you people are giving me a little hate because I created one too called "Terminus"
I don't really understand that much

I think that you are confusing 'hate' with constructive criticism.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Just now, Nuluvius said:

Which, by the look of it, is about as practical/useful as a chocolate fireguard and about as obsolete a concept... I'm sorry if you feel that this may be overly harsh criticism but it's simply garbage software, so why try to pretend that it's anything else?

Then I guess I'll just quit

I try my hardest to think of something to do, but everyone always ends up hating it or calling it complete trash, my luck seems to be great

Thanks for your feedback

2 minutes ago, Azaciel said:

Then I guess I'll just quit

That's a bit of an overreaction don't you think?

2 minutes ago, Azaciel said:

I try my hardest to think of something to do, but everyone always ends up hating it or calling it complete trash, my luck seems to be great

Unless I am mistaken no one here has thus far refereed to your efforts as such. Honestly if you are unable to take criticism then you may as well stop now because once or if you get to industry (if that's where you're intending on going) you may well have your efforts refereed to as such or far worse for that matter. This is a fact of living and working in the real world.

Lets address the positive points then:

1. You stuck with a project
  2. You published the project
  3. It works (more or less)
  4. You can work with convoluted code

It's all learning... and it's obvious that you've been clamping bits on as you went. Why not have a think about improving the design because I'd hazard that you'd likely be able to break out a few sub concerns/projects from the monolith that you have right now.

Just now, Nuluvius said:

Unless I am mistaken no one here has thus far refereed to your efforts as such. Honestly if you are unable to take criticism then you may as well stop now

Everything I've ever made has been this way, either too small, doesn't work, or just plain useless and nobody will ever think to use it in any way shape or form

Yes, I stuck to a project and such, but why keep going on with a project if nobody enjoys it or even will think about using it?

I try to add on as much as I can and for it to be convenient as I can, but with Batch I just can't do that, I guess

I suppose I'm just tired of people calling what I make worthless and garbage to really continue at a decent pace

1 hour ago, Azaciel said:

Yes, I stuck to a project and such, but why keep going on with a project if nobody enjoys it or even will think about using it?

Because your learning something in doing so maybe?!?

1 hour ago, Azaciel said:

I suppose I'm just tired of people calling what I make worthless and garbage to really continue at a decent pace

I think nobody here called your piece of software worthless! It's more about that it is just useless for most people. Just look at it from the outside. What benefit do I have in using this piece of software? Right, none. And there is no problem with that, if you learned some thing creating it, you had fun, you did something... it was worth your effort. 

What you are basically looking for is recognition, right? You wrote 3000+ lines of code which is a great effort and it even seams to work :) I don't know your age, how long you code but this sounds like you have put a lot of effort in it and thats the great part of the story. It's not about, if it's useful for other people, but more about the progress you made.

This is most likely a side project (some sort of hobby), so keep it up. Learn, rethink, add features YOU like and use and keep up that blog. Maybe there is someone who will use it, maybe not, doesn't matter at all. Don't attach your happiness to other people (especially not on people on the internet). 

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

Learning how to program/write software is a journey that can be filled with elation and absolute soul crushing misery. Not everyone has what it takes and if it were easy then everyone would be doing it.

27 minutes ago, Azaciel said:

Everything I've ever made has been this way, either too small, doesn't work, or just plain useless and nobody will ever think to use it in any way shape or form

I try to add on as much as I can and for it to be convenient as I can, but with Batch I just can't do that, I guess

Coming up with a project that people will actually use isn't easy. So many things have already been built, often multiple times by different people/companies. So coming up with a brand new idea isn't easy and trying to compete with something that already exists may not be easy either. Many people choose to spend their time helping to improve something that already exists, rather than try to build a competing product, but what you do is up to you. 

If you do want to build something that people will actually use, then you should try to think about who the target user base is for your idea, what they currently use to accomplish things and what's good/bad about those options, how you can make things better for them, etc. It's important that the features you're trying to implement in your project will actually make sense for your target users. After all, you have limited time/resources to spend on a project and you probably don't want to waste time on things that no one is interested in.

2 hours ago, Nuluvius said:

Not everyone has what it takes and if it were easy then everyone would be doing it.

There are too many "developers" anyway.

Write in C.

2 minutes ago, edward30 said:

Windows is getting Bash, making this whole effort rather pointless.

I just got done with a bash version

I personally think the newest Terminus update for Linux is quite helpful... Especially the "obt" command he added, it makes installing a few things for ubuntu much simpler since some actually need 3+ lines of code in terminal to install

I think he did a good job with that, i think he should add more software to it though, just to make everything a lot easier

2 hours ago, sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ said:

opt = apt-get install $*

You can't do that all the time for linux, there are quite a few things that you'll need to use the internet for and provide a few other commands in the command line, perhaps even more than just a few

or sometimes there just isn't a download link for linux, instead you'll have to get "wine"

i've looked at the code, and i can see how he does it, he puts in all the commands needed to directly install as many programs as possible (even through wine) by just doing a single command, which is at least helpful for me

17 minutes ago, cyuzera said:

i've looked at the code, and i can see how he does it, he puts in all the commands needed to directly install as many programs as possible (even through wine) by just doing a single command, which is at least helpful for me

I honestly cannot think of anything worse than something that installs a bunch of unknowns (or even a bunch of knowns) without my explicit control. That's bordering on malware in my opinion.

Just now, Nuluvius said:

I honestly cannot think of anything worse than something that installs a bunch of unknowns (or even a bunch of knowns) without my explicit control. That's bordering on malware in my opinion.

You're prompted to enter your password before anything... and anyone can come up with any sort of link such as the link in: wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb to be malware, and that's only 1 step to installing google chrome for linux

A whole bunch of websites have that sort of thing, download commands for linux because the ubuntu store doesn't have it

And if the person doesn't trust it, then check the code, all the links and commands are there for you to see, why would this person make BATCH and BASH files if he didn't want them to be open-source? All i'm saying is that i like the thing, and there may be a few other people who do, who knows? Maybe this is his first thing he's ever coded, if so, then tell him what he can approve upon instead of giving him harsh criticism?

6 minutes ago, cyuzera said:

Maybe this is his first thing he's ever coded, if so, then tell him what he can approve upon instead of giving him harsh criticism?

I'm inclined to agree with:

2 hours ago, sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ said:

Strange that a person would make an account to comment on this thread

Maybe it's not his first or only account on here either xD

3 hours ago, sgzUk74r3T3BCGmRJ said:

Strange that a person would make an account to comment on this thread

Well, everyone has to start somewhere

and this just so happened to be the first thing i commented on :)

18 hours ago, edward30 said:

Maybe instead of trying to put all that stuff inside a single program, you could write smaller separate programs...

Also, this is kind of what he did, if you downloaded it for mac or linux, then you'd see that he has multiple files in the zip

and honestly, it's quite helpful in my eyes, to have something like this because having linux can be a pain regarding installations sometimes

I have a serious thing to request fixing though

For the newest ubuntu version (1.10), the country command line is broken entirely, it says everything is an unknown country, even countries that were already added before, fix? And you could add more countries and more software to the OBT

And you should really update the Windows and Mac versions, they're nearly 3 updates behind

10 hours ago, cyuzera said:

I have a serious thing to request fixing though

For the newest ubuntu version (1.10), the country command line is broken entirely, it says everything is an unknown country, even countries that were already added before, fix? And you could add more countries and more software to the OBT

On 8/7/2017 at 9:11 AM, Azaciel said:

I'm trying to make it nearly fully customize-able while adding more of the educational portion (researching countries, with their capitals, continents, population, land area, etc. that's really it so far, but over 20 countries are added)

If the "country" command is going to be in there at all then it sounds like it should be reworked. The idea of manually entering data, like country info, that can be automatically retrieved (from online APIs or downloadable databases) is probably the wrong way of going about it.

1 hour ago, madknight3 said:

The idea of manually entering data, like country info, that can be automatically retrieved (from online APIs or downloadable databases) is probably the wrong way of going about it.

It's a quick and easy way to get country info, and he did it in a simple way. There is no "wrong way" of going about it, it's the way he wants to go about it

If you want it to be removed, you can say so, that's 1 suggestion for him, if enough people want to get rid of it, i'm sure he'll get rid of it some day

Either way, Terminus seems to have many positive things to it, other than the random commands such as "roll" which shouldn't be dissed anyway because command prompt on Windows has some same kind of useless commands as well, such as the "date" command, which shows you the date (when you can just look down to the corner and see the date and time)

At least he came up with an idea and is building off of it, at least it's not something like

#!/bin/bash
echo "Hello world"
read -p "Enter your name: " name
echo "Wassup $name"
exit

3 hours ago, cyuzera said:

There is no "wrong way" of going about it

It's just a really pointless (even stupid way) to hardcode those things!

which shouldn't be dissed anyway because command prompt on Windows has some same kind of useless commands

Okey, someone else got some useless things so we should not point them on your piece of software? This argument makes absolutely no sense.

At least he came up with an idea and is building off of it, at least it's not something like

I agree, at least its not just a list of if, else and echo... or is it?!?!?

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

1 hour ago, cyuzera said:

It's a quick and easy way to get country info, and he did it in a simple way. There is no "wrong way" of going about it, it's the way he wants to go about it

It's simple, sure, but it's also repetitive, time consuming, error prone, and can be automated. They can do whatever they want, I was merely suggesting what I consider to be a better method of including that data in the application.

According to Google, there are 195 or 196 countries in the world (depending on whether or not you choose to recognize Taiwan as it's own country). They mention that they have over 20 countries done so far. Which means they have a long way to go.

Time saved manually adding information can be spent on other features.