PUBG breaks half-a-mil simultaneous player record, overall second after DOTA

Nicnac

598870f84a23f_ScreenShot2017-08-07at3_54_26PM.png.ab3122a2a1cf40d60cecd08243c7b475.png

PUBG broke the 500k simultaneous player record last Friday, now being the second most played game overall, just behind DOTA but ahead of CS:GO.

Via pcgameshardware.de

Bereits am Freitag knackte das Spiel die Marke von 500.000 gleichzeitigen Spielern - Tendenz steigend. Aktuell bewegt sich Playerunknown's Battlegrounds bereits auf die 600.000er-Marke zu. Der momentane Höchststand liegt bei über 580.000 gleichzeitigen Spielern. An der Spitze der meistgespielten Steam-Spiele steht allerdings weiterhin Dota 2 mit einem aktuell mehr als 800.000 aktiven Spielern in den letzten 24 Stunden. Bis Playernunknown's Battlegrounds Valves Moba aus dem Weg räumt, könnte es jedoch lediglich eine Frage der Zeit sein.

Rough Translation:

Last Friday the game already hit the mark for 500k simultaneous players - and still counting. Right now pubg is nearing the 600k player mark with a current all-time-high of 580k players. The most played game with more than 800k active players in the last 24h is still DOTA, however. It might just be a matter of time until pubg overtakes Valve's MOBA at this point.

I believe pubg is the fastest game to reach this point and with its' still soaring popularity it might break even more records soon. Another interesting aspect are extremely steep prices for cosmetic items on the pubg community market now with players paying three-figure prices sometimes. This is comparable to cs:go knife skins and similar but it is impressive in regard to how quickly the game took off and reached this level when compared to other popular titles while still being early access.

Edit: this list includes only steam games, thanks @Sauron

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

if only they would fix cartoon buildings and the really bad servers 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

I think you should mention this only applies to steam games, there are other "big" games that aren't being tracked (to point at the big ones, LoL and WoW aren't on the list).

Just now, YedZed said:

"Early access". Watch it hit its all time high, release, and promptly fizzle out. That would be fun!

It will probably never release. Why would they? They can charge the same amount and they can excuse bugs with "it's early access".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

It will probably never release. Why would they? They can charge the same amount and they can excuse bugs with "it's early access".

2017 everybody!

if you look over to your right you can see a gaping vacuum where VR should be!

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

5 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

if only they would fix cartoon buildings and the really bad servers 

Despite this I really enjoy the game. I refuse to pay for skins, and at least we get loot boxes with in game currency earned through game play. The hype will most likely die down though.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Anybody else still doesn't gets this game? The premise doesn't seems all that compelling to me, just something a GTA V modder would have come up with for example. Maybe I'm waaay off but it seems like a popular push-back reaction to modern FPS titles and their completely stunted innovation for now years: people are so desperate to play a decent shooter than they'll take even a mediocre one with a somewhat clever mechanic just as long as it's new and not just another Re-skin of Battlefield or CoD.

-------

Current Rig

-------

another shitty 'early access' game with shitty visuals, performance, and using streamers to advertise. 

playerunknown is a cunt also, banning streamers for obvious banter between people. 

this is the next h1z1 KoTK/ark survival evolved where it breaks a record then dies in the ass. 

idk

Just now, laminutederire said:

What's the difference between this game and other survivor games already released?

its fun 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

2 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

What's the difference between this game and other survivor games already released?

example:

Dayz was originally thought of to be a game to survive against zombies with other plays around. others could be hostel or friendly. while PUBG is a last man standing game.

it is fun and popular due to its uniqueness. I  don't know of another game that plays like it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

19 minutes ago, YedZed said:

"Early access". Watch it hit its all time high, release, and promptly fizzle out. That would be fun!

Console and PC release will be simultaneous so actually it should explode again. I know console players are eager to play. I have ~200 hours on it so I'm not hardcore but its fun and addictive, even with its poor optimisations, single map and server instability.

Plus at release the number of maps will increase from 1 to 3. Which is huge imo. Would add loads of variation to gameplay.

1 minute ago, tom_w141 said:

Console and PC release will be simultaneous so actually it should explode again. I know console players are eager to play. 

Didn't know they were doing console.

I have ~200 hours on it so I'm not hardcore

gawd I have like 300 hours on CSGO and its all casual matches but I'm still more heavily invested than you...

9 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Mostly abandoning the pretense of surviving PvE a.k.a. Zombies and focusing on what people were actually doing on those other titles anyways: PvP

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

this is the next h1z1 KoTK/ark survival evolved where it breaks a record then dies in the ass. 

h1z1 and Ark have respectively 136k and 38k concurrent players... How is that dead by any means?

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

another shitty 'early access' game with shitty visuals

Visuals are actually great its just poorly optimised and you need a hell of a gpu to have a good time on ultra.

9 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

performance

Yeah i'll give you that one. It needs work but has gotten better. Server side is where most work is required.

9 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

using streamers to advertise. 

whats wrong with being smart? Free advertising and a massively popular game = genius.

4 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Didn't know they were doing console

E3 2017 confirmed

4 minutes ago, YedZed said:

gawd I have like 300 hours on CSGO and its all casual matches but I'm still more heavily invested than you...

Don't see your point here? I said I wasn't hardcore, then you compare it to an ancient game saying you've got 300 hours. I mean if you want to compare my 200 hours is like over 2 months as its a new-ish game  so in terms of hours played in the shortest time im ahead, but I wasn't having a competition. (until now :p)

3 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

h1z1 and Ark have respectively 136k and 38k concurrent players... How is that dead by any means?

If you're coming down from 500k all the way to 38k meaning you lost 95%-ish of your player base it basically means dead by any means.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

If you're coming down from 500k all the way to 38k meaning you lost 90% of your player base it basically means dead by any means.

It's a massive loss in players, but it's by no means dead. I've seen dead games, 38k doesn't qualify.

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.

1 minute ago, Urishima said:

It's a massive loss in players, but it's by no means dead. I've seen dead games, 38k doesn't qualify.

I suppose a single drop of water on a glass that was previously full to you still doesn't means it's dry because you've seen dry glasses.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If you're coming down from 500k all the way to 38k meaning you lost 95%-ish of your player base it basically means dead by any means.

That would be more like 25k not 38k :P 

That's beside the point though I agree especially with ARK. Speaking as someone who paid £6 for ARK last year and its now £50. ARK's dev is very greedy.

3 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

E3 2017 confirmed

Don't see your point here? I said I wasn't hardcore, then you compare it to an ancient game saying you've got 300 hours. I mean if you want to compare my 200 hours is like over 2 months as its a new-ish game  so in terms of hours played in the shortest time im ahead, but I wasn't having a competition. (until now :p)

no I was just saying, like, I've had CSGO for like 6 months, its my most played game, and I think of 300 hours as a ton... And then normal people have like 200 hours on a game and I'm like whoa

That would be more like 25k not 38k :P 

Yes calculator tells me the correct number I was looking for was 92.4% drop. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, YedZed said:

And then normal people have like 200 hours on a game and I'm like whoa

PUBG has become my (at present) most played game too. Simply by its drop in/out style, group play and addictiveness.

EDIT: To the point where I get home from work and I have messages in the whatsapp group chat specifically for PUBG where my friends/colleagues are trying to arrange squads ASAP :P The need for the chicken dinner is real.