Huge Lag Spikes when moving mouse

Hey,
I have a Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop, and a Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum mice (That's all my peripherals that I think matter to the situation, if you need more information, ask in the comments and I shall tell ye the rest). The Laptop's core specs are the following: GPU- NVIDIA GTX 860M; CPU- Intel i7-4710HQ @2.5GHz (4 Cores, 8 Threads), 8Gb RAM (One stock RAM stick, two RAM slots), 1080p Display.
I recently went to play a few games, and the only ones I played seemed to have huge lag spikes when I move my mouse, going from 60fps to 20-15 fps ON THE MAIN MENU (That's the case of Outlast 1, I also tried Dude Simulator and it seems to just freeze for a split second every time I moved the mouse)... can someone help me try to find a solution for this (Updating the GPU Drivers is not possible, as I am using my phone's data plan to be on the internet on my PC)... Thanks in advance

Have you tried installing/uninstalling logitech software?

Have you tried updating the mouse drivers? (I know you won't be able to do this on mobile data, but this should be your first port of call).

Does this happen with the trackpad, or just the mouse?

39 minutes ago, rhyseyness said:

Have you tried installing/uninstalling logitech software?

Have you tried updating the mouse drivers? (I know you won't be able to do this on mobile data, but this should be your first port of call).

Does this happen with the trackpad, or just the mouse?

Yup.

Yup.

Yup.

Also, have you tried going past the main menu? They always have massive fps drops, since they're displaying a static image until you click on something, then it has to refresh faster to show the motion. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

15 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Yup.

Yup.

Yup.

Also, have you tried going past the main menu? They always have massive fps drops, since they're displaying a static image until you click on something, then it has to refresh faster to show the motion. 

I'm asking OP, not you, lol.

I agree that he should try going past the main menu.

Do you get the same issue in Windows @FranckTheMiner?

7 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Yeah, I was agreeing with you that he should try that. IDK what time I posted that, but apparently I wasn't very clear... :$

And where is the OP? It's been a day or two already!

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

13 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

I haven't tested any of those out, as I am in a fearsome battle against Sony Vegas's rendering army, and so I haven't used my computer for anything else but I can confirm that this happens beyond the main menu (at least on Dude Simulator, didn't test it out on Outlast as even a worse laptop doesn't show that behaviour), and no, it doesn't happen on Windows, at least with as low CPU usage as the one I had while gaming...

11 hours ago, FranckTheMiner said:

I haven't tested any of those out, as I am in a fearsome battle against Sony Vegas's rendering army, and so I haven't used my computer for anything else but I can confirm that this happens beyond the main menu (at least on Dude Simulator, didn't test it out on Outlast as even a worse laptop doesn't show that behaviour), and no, it doesn't happen on Windows, at least with as low CPU usage as the one I had while gaming...

Haha, no worries.

Interesting.

Does sound like a driver/software issue more than a hardware one.

I'd recommend you try with the mousepad on the laptop if you haven't already.

If the mousepad has exactly the same problem, the plot thickens.

If it's fine with the mousepad but not your USB mouse, then it's almost definitely a driver/logitech software thing.

Also, are you in "high performance" mode on the laptop?

It could be that when you're not inputting, the GPU/CPU goes into super low power mode and so drops your frames massively... althought I'd have thought this would manifest a little differently.

I think it's worth checking nonetheless.

It's under battery settings in control panel.

There should be "low power/eco," "balanced" and "High performance."

Or something along those lines!

You want to make sure it's in "high performance" when you're gaming.

Get back to us with results once you've tested :)

Update the drviers/logitech software as soon as you possibly can, as my money is still on this.

8 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

Haha, no worries.

Interesting.

Does sound like a driver/software issue more than a hardware one.

I'd recommend you try with the mousepad on the laptop if you haven't already.

If the mousepad has exactly the same problem, the plot thickens.

If it's fine with the mousepad but not your USB mouse, then it's almost definitely a driver/logitech software thing.

Also, are you in "high performance" mode on the laptop?

It could be that when you're not inputting, the GPU/CPU goes into super low power mode and so drops your frames massively... althought I'd have thought this would manifest a little differently.

I think it's worth checking nonetheless.

It's under battery settings in control panel.

There should be "low power/eco," "balanced" and "High performance."

Or something along those lines!

You want to make sure it's in "high performance" when you're gaming.

Get back to us with results once you've tested :)

Update the drviers/logitech software as soon as you possibly can, as my money is still on this.

I am in High Performance, as I have been for a long time (probably since I bought the laptop), and it's worth mentioning that I have been doubting of my GPU's vividness, as it seems to have contracted some kind of terminal disease, because it doesn't seem to be working half as good as it used to (just to put into perspective, I was capable of running GTA V on Max settings @ 1080p and have around 20fps stable, and now I barely can run Hitman Absolution and similar titles @ 1080p 60fps, and given the graphical differences, I kind of think my GPU is about to die, which may contribute to this problem... Of course, I had more arguments as of to why my GPU is dying, but I just can't recall them... I'll test your solutions as soon as Vegas renders the video I've been trying to render for the past 3 days ?

On 09/08/2017 at 3:49 PM, FranckTheMiner said:

I am in High Performance, as I have been for a long time (probably since I bought the laptop), and it's worth mentioning that I have been doubting of my GPU's vividness, as it seems to have contracted some kind of terminal disease, because it doesn't seem to be working half as good as it used to (just to put into perspective, I was capable of running GTA V on Max settings @ 1080p and have around 20fps stable, and now I barely can run Hitman Absolution and similar titles @ 1080p 60fps, and given the graphical differences, I kind of think my GPU is about to die, which may contribute to this problem... Of course, I had more arguments as of to why my GPU is dying, but I just can't recall them... I'll test your solutions as soon as Vegas renders the video I've been trying to render for the past 3 days ?

Maybe try changing the thermal paste on your CPU and/or GPU?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2017 at 4:57 PM, rhyseyness said:

Maybe try changing the thermal paste on your CPU and/or GPU?

Yeah, I had thought of that, but I only have access to the CPU on the motherboard, the GPU is covered by some wierd looking tube-ish system I believe is to get a better air flow to the GPU

2 hours ago, FranckTheMiner said:

Yeah, I had thought of that, but I only have access to the CPU on the motherboard, the GPU is covered by some wierd looking tube-ish system I believe is to get a better air flow to the GPU

There should still be a block on it, and you should still be able to change the paste.

Find a guide somewhere on how to disassemble it.

• 3 weeks later...

Shit, I forgot about this thread... Apparently the problem magically disappeared... Don't ask me how, it's just gone