Acess Point and the Modem in the same room.

AlanAlan

I want to set up an access point for my house. The reason I set up the access point in my room is because it is at the center of my home. I want to know if both routers are in the same room will have any interference? I will only connect devices to the access point. I have an AT&T Gateway.

Explain your setup more. You have a modem (is it a router combo?) and an access point. Is there something wrong with the first router (or modem/router combo)?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

I want to set up an access point for my house. The reason I set up the access point in my room is because it is at the center of my home. I want to know if both routers are in the same room will have any interference? I will only connect devices to the access point. I have an AT&T Gateway.

If you use separate channels or even better use separate frequency you will be fine. 

1 minute ago, Marshnt said:

If you use separate channels or even better use separate frequency you will be fine. 

Yep, use 2.4GHz on one of them and 5.0GHz on the other.  Combine that with different channels and you're good to go.

if you will be using the access point for all your devices you might as well disable the router's wifi and use it as a modem unless you want 2 networks.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

18 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Explain your setup more. You have a modem (is it a router combo?) and an access point. Is there something wrong with the first router (or modem/router combo)?

The AT&T gateway is a router and landline combo. The gateway couldn't reach the entire home. So I looked online for tutorials to setup the new router with the gateway but many ran into problems while trying to connecting (the mode when you transmit everything to the new router and use it as the main network) not sure what it is called. So decided to make a access point. They are in the same room but all my devices are connected to the access point. I had discounted all my devices from the AT&T gateway. I only use the access point. I want to know if there is going to be any interference?

35 minutes ago, Marshnt said:

2 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

if you will be using the access point for all your devices you might as well disable the router's wifi and use it as a modem unless you want 2 networks.

currently I do have 2 networks but I only use the access point signal since it can reach further areas of my home.

Just now, AlanAlan said:

currently I do have 2 networks but I only use the access point signal since it can reach further areas of my home.

there should be no issues with interference but you might as well disable the wifi on the router if you dont use it.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)