2 GPU not in sli?

Can I run a 1080ti for gaming and a vega for rendering on the same motherboard if I run them on sperate monitors?

1 minute ago, Maxibob3 said:

Can I run a 1080ti for gaming and a vega for rendering on the same motherboard if I run them on sperate monitors?

SLI is only on Nvidia, crossfire only on AMD, they would work separately

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

There are usually driver issues with stuff like this. I did hear about someone did something like this but idk how they did it.聽

The only thing I can see causing problems is running drivers and utilities for both at the same time.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, dave_k said:

SLI is only on Nvidia, crossfire only on AMD, they would work separately

He's asking if he can run them, and not if they'd work together. Honestly I have no idea.

Just now, xHadrian said:

He's asking if he can run them, and not if they'd work together. Honestly I have no idea.

see the title of the topic

I know LTT did a video about this a while ago with 2 GTX 780 Ti's聽 in聽SLI聽and 2 R9 290X's聽in CF in one system a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if that would still work today.聽

-Hippeminecraft

rendering engines don't use SLI or crossfire they just use whats available to them. you could have a titan Xp with a 680 with 2 RX 580聽and the render engine would (try) use all of them at once

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

see the title of the topic

Yes, but that doesn't imply he wants to run them in SLI. His question is would they work if he plugged both of the same in the same motherboard, each running seperately.

Also, on my motherboard theres an option where you can disable certain PCIE slots with a physical button. I guess you could do that if your board had that, disabling the slots without needing to take the cards out.

Just now, xHadrian said:

Also, on my motherboard theres an option where you can disable certain PCIE slots with a physical button. I guess you could do that if your board had that, disabling the slots without needing to take the cards out.

Most of the times 聽that needs a full restart otherwise the system kinda freaks out when PCI-e devices are suddenly lost

-Hippeminecraft

1 minute ago, xHadrian said:

This is possible only the most high end ass mobos and special overclocking ones

1 minute ago, Hippeminecraft said:

Most of the times 聽that needs a full restart otherwise the system kinda freaks out when PCI-e devices are suddenly lost

Yeah, but restarting your system would be better than pulling out the cards each time.

14 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

There are usually driver issues with stuff like this. I did hear about someone did something like this but idk how they did it.聽

i did try this a while back, and i cant really report any driver issues.

and you can totally mix&match all the things as long as your mobo has the slots to support it (or as long as you can make the cards think the mobo has the slots to support it). the rule of thumb here is that (unless directly addressed, like in specialized rendering applications, f@h, mining, and similar) the gpu that drives the main display is doing the work.

EDIT: in case someone's inclined to go "pics or it didnt happen" on me because they have some sort of problem, here's pics, it happen:

Spoiler

2a345c91cb.jpg

also most render engines you can select which GPU you want it to use聽

In Blender you can select which GPU(s) you want to render off, so you could have your Vega rendering wist having all your monitors plug聽in to your 1080it聽with out getting a perf聽hit at all on the 1080 ti

1 hour ago, Maxibob3 said:

Yes, you can. I use聽a聽GTX 1080 and an RX 480 right now.聽You will need at least one monitor plugged into each card though or the driver for that company will not initialize.

Yes so basically I want to use them separately for different purposes. There would be two 1080 ti in sli for running vr and then a vega for video rendering. I will use a threadripper so pcie lanes are not an issue and neither is price

Also to clear it up they would run on two monitors if it was possible to do

SLI is not possible as that is a Nvidea thing you need 2 Nvidea cards and often also the same cards which means 2x 1080ti, you can mix brands with crossfire though. You should check you motherboard for support for this but support is very common.

Edit: and yes it will work without sli i really should read more carefull haha :D.聽i highly doubt that they can work together then tough so you should still use crossfire then i think you might want to do more research for that as i dont have experience with multiply GPU's聽聽聽

no reposts.

27 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

you can mix brands with crossfire though.

you can not run mixed cards in any sort of crossfire or SLI

what you want can be done OP, i dont really know why you would do it, but yah, you can

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is聽play no games atm &聽watch聽anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...聽 nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project!Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log!聽(Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life.聽

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut;聽and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " -聽MageTank聽31-10-2016