Would having more fans help with gpu temps?

Cyberspirit

Hello so since it's summer components are getting much hotter mostly the GPU which has almost never went above 65 but now it's around 77 celsius.

I know this is still in the safe range but id rather not have it run so hot.

I have a Define S case and the gpu is an msi gtx 1070 quicksilver.

I'm using the stock case fans btw (GP-14)

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

4 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Hello so since it's summer components are getting much hotter mostly the GPU which has almost never went above 65 but now it's around 77 celsius.

I know this is still in the safe range but id rather not have it run so hot.

I have a Define S case and the gpu is an msi gtx 1070 quicksilver.

I'm using the stock case fans btw (GP-14)

Properly not, its about getting the positioning right, You want to fill the fan bays at the from of the case and the the top of the case, or rear of the case, If the GPU is a blower style then there isn't much you can do other then rearranging your fans, but if it isn't then you want to move the heat away from the card. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Wouldn't putting fans on the top mess up the airflow for the cpu cooler?

Since optimal amount of case fans is 3, 2 intakes (front) and 1 exhaust (rear), adding one more fan might help. Not by much, maybe 3-5C. Its more about your ambient temps (room temp) being higher at summer time than what it is on winter time.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@LoGiCalDrm Hey i just have the stock one intake and one exhaust.

I do have an option to put a fan on the bottom of my case under the gpu's front fan maybe that could help?

35 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@LoGiCalDrm Hey i just have the stock one intake and one exhaust.

I do have an option to put a fan on the bottom of my case under the gpu's front fan maybe that could help?

... that was what my post is saying? What I mean is that those would be the places to put intake fan. I reply to so many threads I thought I had that in my reply. Sry for sounding rude.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@LoGiCalDrm Nah you weren't rude what i meant is that i have one intake and exhaust and i was curious if i installed a fan under the gpu (since there is a spot for it) maybe that could help.

I think i'll get some more stock fractal fans and see if they help or not. I just hope that they don't add too much more noise/vibration.

9 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

I think i'll get some more stock fractal fans and see if they help or not. I just hope that they don't add too much more noise/vibration.

Getting one more fan shouldn't add that much noise. Plus you can always set curves so that fans are near silent when system is at low load and only ramp up when GPU fans or CPU cooler ramps up.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@LoGiCalDrm I meant by having like 3 more fans but yeah you are right. I can always just mess around with the fan curves. Thanks :)

Have you tried adding a side-panel exhaust? It could be that your GPU is creating a heat chamber and air isn't being pulled out fast enough (that's what happened to me).

@the9thdude My case is a Define S widowed. It doesn't have a side fan (what would you call it) bracket? idk

37 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@the9thdude My case is a Define S widowed. It doesn't have a side fan (what would you call it) bracket? idk

Ah okay. I remember that there are PCI slot fans; maybe that would work?

@the9thdude Woah i didn't even knew things like those exist but i rather have less noise then a bit higher temps.

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Also those use Molex connectors which i hate with a burning desire

My solution is just to shove a small 80mm fan in the unused PCI expansion brackets in the back to blow air from outside the case directly into the gpu.

Can't guarantee it'll lower your temps to where they were, you can't fight psychics, but it should lower your temps pretty substantially. Usually doesn't look to bad, either as the PCI slots are usually recessed.

@SageOfSpice Isn't it really loud though? 

I might would consider it but they use Molex so i'll pass.

9 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Nah, nah. Not those. Expensive as shit. 

I'm just talking something like this:

Spoiler

Untitled2.png.0e08441b55be756893d41da6e3e2aee7.png

On 6.8.2017 at 9:07 PM, the9thdude said:

Ah okay. I remember that there are PCI slot fans; maybe that would work?

PLS no. Those are even worse thing ever invented than RAM coolers.

8 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

My solution is just to shove a small 80mm fan in the unused PCI expansion brackets in the back to blow air from outside the case directly into the gpu.

Can't guarantee it'll lower your temps to where they were, you can't fight psychics, but it should lower your temps pretty substantially. Usually doesn't look to bad, either as the PCI slots are usually recessed.

Is there some tests of that actually working? Seems like it would cause more issues than solve any as it will be bringing more dust (if without filter) and would need to be lower than GPUs fans to even have chance of doing anything.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/7/2017 at 0:13 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

PLS no. Those are even worse thing ever invented than RAM coolers.

Is there some tests of that actually working? Seems like it would cause more issues than solve any as it will be bringing more dust (if without filter) and would need to be lower than GPUs fans to even have chance of doing anything.

Same generic answer as usual: It depends.

There are a lot of factors that come into play, and I really can't provide anything more than theories.

In the two years I've been running the fan in the back, dust hasn't really been a large enough issue to warrant cleaning the case. I'd bought a small fan filter, so the majority of the air that'd be making it into the case with it's positive pressure setup would be filtered. Perhaps the larger issue would be noise. Less of an issue in my case, as I had a fan with a built-in controller laying around, but I'm not sure how it'd be with a 7v adapter. The filter did reduce the noise quite a bit as you'd imagine, but it does also affect airflow a fair bit.

Prior to installing the rear fan in my Antec 300 with 2x120mm fans in the front, and 1x140mm+1x120mm in the rear, the GPU temperatures sat around 60c at idle. After installing the fan, the temps usually sit around 30c, and have gotten down to 26c on cooler days. With my HD 7950 installed, load temps would often reach 80c on the stock fan profile prior to installing the rear fan. After installing the rear fan, the highest I've seen it go, including in benchmarks, is about 65c. I mention my case because it's a case that seats the PSU at the bottom, and as you know, PSUs tend to pull air from inside the case and expel it out. Sitting only a few inches from the GPU, it's a possible factor as well.

So, in short, I've noticed a fair difference in having that rear fan there.

One of the other things I've been wanting to try is to build a proper shroud for the GPU, as usually the front intake fans are blowing directly into the GPUs exhaust, which I can't imagine is terribly efficient. 

7 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

Prior to installing the rear fan in my Antec 300 with 2x120mm fans in the front, and 1x140mm+1x120mm in the rear, the GPU temperatures sat around 60c at idle. After installing the fan, the temps usually sit around 30c, and have gotten down to 26c on cooler days. With my HD 7950 installed, load temps would often reach 80c on the stock fan profile prior to installing the rear fan. After installing the rear fan, the highest I've seen it go, including in benchmarks, is about 65c. I mention my case because it's a case that seats the PSU at the bottom, and as you know, PSUs tend to pull air from inside the case and expel it out. Sitting only a few inches from the GPU, it's a possible factor as well.

This is practically what I was asking about. I don't really need any official review made by known person. Just some temp readings. And it seems to be valid option. If it can be placed right so it doesn't block anything. Though I personally dislike using 92mm or smaller fans and rather have hotter GPU than those.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, Cyberspirit said:

You can modify the connections from molex to sata or another power connection.  Fans are super simple to change connections.

But pretty much you are at the mercy of ambient temps, unless you are willing to add more fans or smack the card under water.  Since you want to keep the case quiet, the best thing is to probably find the best high flow fans you can afford that don't make a whole lot of noise and set a curve for them.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

13 hours ago, Ithanul said:

The best thing is to probably find the best high flow fans you can afford that don't make a whole lot of noise and set a curve for them.

Any suggestions?