Anodization Help

iamdarkbowser

I will want to anodize a couple of aluminium parts at some point, are there any companies that I could contact and ship those parts to and have them anodize the parts? 

8 minutes ago, iamdarkbowser said:

I will want to anodize a couple of aluminium parts at some point, are there any companies that I could contact and ship those parts to and have them anodize the parts? 

Look for someone local, that is usually your best option for anodizing unless you want to do something yourself with cold blackener. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Look for someone local, that is usually your best option for anodizing unless you want to do something yourself with cold blackener. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

The only companies that I have found (local and not local) only do it for companies making a bunch of parts, not some nobody that will eventually have a lathe and mill.

Just now, iamdarkbowser said:

The only companies that I have found (local and not local) only do it for companies making a bunch of parts, not some nobody that will eventually have a lathe and mill.

Your most likely going to pay more for anodizing than the cost of the part itself if it's only a one off unless it's a bundle to parts. You could get a kit and do it yourself if you really want to, personally I would use chemical blackener or  just passivate the aluminum with an acid. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Your most likely going to pay more for anodizing than the cost of the part itself if it's only a one off unless it's a bundle to parts. You could get a kit and do it yourself if you really want to, personally I would use chemical blackener or  just passivate the aluminum with an acid. 

How would I accomplish the chemical blackening? (Such as required products and process)

I'd rather not bother with craigslist if I can. I want to do it myself or have someone official do it, not someone who happens to be able to do it in their garage. 

You'd be surprised, I've had replies from professional local companies (like Tripp Enterprises) when I needed some custom cut acrylic

6 minutes ago, iamdarkbowser said:

How would I accomplish the chemical blackening? (Such as required products and process)

You just dip it in or brush it on and let it react until the color is desirable and rinse, while it looks quite good it's not super durable as anodizing. 

https://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/antiquing-solutions/aluminum-blackener-16-fl-oz.html

Here are those anodizing kits if it's something you want to look into also:

http://www.caswellplating.com/anodizing-products/anodizing-kits.html

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

You'd be surprised, I've had replies from professional local companies (like Tripp Enterprises) when I needed some custom cut acrylic

Still, I don't want to go through the effort to do it, and I'm is thinking several months in advance, or more.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

You just dip it in or brush it one and let it react until the color is desirable and rinse, while it looks quite good it's not super durable as anodizing. 

https://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/antiquing-solutions/aluminum-blackener-16-fl-oz.html

Here are those anodizing kits if it's something you want to look into also:

http://www.caswellplating.com/anodizing-products/anodizing-kits.html

I will most likely go with the blackener, mainly because the anodizing kit still requires a bunch of stuff, such as a gallon of battery acid, which gets very pricey. And I can easily go with black. Are there different colors of blackener (whitener, purple...r, ect)? 

I will most likely go with the blackener, mainly because the anodizing kit still requires a bunch of stuff, such as a gallon of battery acid, which gets very pricey. And I can easily go with black. Are there different colors of blackener (whitener, purple...r, ect)? 

Blackener is only black unfortunately and isn't able to have different colors like dye. If you don't mind a wet spray finish you can always go for something like Duplicolor Metalcast it provides an anodized aluminium type look and even shows any brushed or finished look underneath. 

https://duplicolor.com/product/metalcast-anodized-automotive-paint

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Blackener is only black unfortunately and isn't able to have different colors like dye. If you don't mind a wet spray finish you can always go for something like Duplicolor Metalcast it provides an anodized aluminium type look and even shows any brushed or finished look underneath. 

https://duplicolor.com/product/metalcast-anodized-automotive-paint

Good thing I have enough ram, all my chrome tabs are using 6 of it. I will keep tabs open of the blackener and the aluminium paint. I will probably use the blackener for most of it and the paint for smaller bits, like accents.

1 minute ago, iamdarkbowser said:

Good thing I have enough ram, all my chrome tabs are using 6 of it. I will keep tabs open of the blackener and the aluminium paint. I will probably use the blackener for most of it and the paint for smaller bits, like accents.

Sounds good, I would test it out first to see if you like the finish on it, sometimes it's hard to get an absolutely perfect even finish. I tried a similar product but for steel and while it gave really deep blacks a little hard to get perfectly even. 

Just now, W-L said:

Sounds good, I would test it out first to see if you like the finish on it, sometimes it's hard to get an absolutely perfect even finish. I tried a similar product but for steel and while it gave really deep blacks a little hard to get perfectly even. 

I'll figure out some polishing stuff, I will need it anyway for a variety of things. 

I'll figure out some polishing stuff, I will need it anyway for a variety of things. 

Be sure to get a good dust mask if you plan on doing a lot of polishing, lots of fine aluminium dust and polishing compound. Let me know what you get up to I'd be interested in seeing what you start making. ;) 

Just now, W-L said:

Be sure to get a good dust mask if you plan on doing a lot of polishing, lots of fine aluminium dust and polishing compound. Let me know what you get up to I'd be interested in seeing what you start making. ;) 

Most of it'll be in a future build log, but unfortunately I need to buy a car before any machines, tools or stock. I might be able to start by November.