[Debunked] BSD team discovered a new hardware issue with Ryzen

zMeul
31 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Posting and making it seem like the issue will happen to every single person ever, when the reality is that the issue is only going to be seen working on specific workload, in certain operating systems.

The problem is that it turns out to be one of two things:

An issue of software, not hardware.

An issue that only occurs in specific workloads, under specific operating systems, with those operating systems being uncommon in the consumer space and those workloads being less than common within the user base of those operating systems.

I just find it funny that whenever someone posts something negative about a company or a product, everyone comments on that issue.

But when @zMeul posts something bad AMD, everyone jumps on him while either ignoring the problem with the product/company or down playing it.

I mean I get it he does post quite a lot about AMD's downfalls, but still.

1 minute ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

I just find it funny that whenever someone posts something negative about a company or a product, everyone comments on that issue.

But when @zMeul posts something bad AMD, everyone jumps on him while either ignoring the problem with the product/company or down playing it.

I mean I get it he does post quite a lot about AMD's downfalls, but still.

you may want to read into what he ISN'T posting.. @zMeul has a habit of ignoring pieces of information that downplays or trivializes the "importance" of his findings. He likes to spin everything as a "Zero-Day nuclear exploit", despite the issue being, more often then not, a complete non-issue for 95%+ of commercial users

9 hours ago, leadeater said:

How is this happening when SMT is disabled when the issue been described is with SMT itself? The other mention of system stability seems to be a different problem.

Yeah, after this post was made, there were a few other people who jumped in and made the comment that disabling SMT doesn't fix the issue, but disabling other stuff does. It's not likely to be the actual cause of the issue, and they're looking into it more ATM.

I wouldn't get super concerned yet, but since I also do a lot of heavy compilation workloads stuff like this is the reason I still held off from AMD again this generation. Whether it winds up being a hardware issue, a firmware issue, or a software issue, this kind of thing isn't acceptable in mission critical applications.

Regardless of who's fault this issue is, it seems like the kind of thing that will cause problems for AMD in the high end compute space they're trying to push into with EPYC.

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

remember when me and others told "you" to stay away from Zen CPUs for at least 1/2 y? this is precisely why - AMD is dealing with new arch that is bound to have HW issues and some of them cannot be fixed with a micro-code update

on top of the segmentation fault, we now have this ... if this turns into a recall, AMD will be severely hit and not only financially

When you say something like that, in the context with all the other anti-AMD things you say, it is clear that you don't care whether AMD has issues or not, and that your actual goal is to move business away from AMD regardless of whether they have issues - and you just find this to be a convenient opportunity to push that goal.

But as said:

9 hours ago, Notional said:

[...]

/thread

9 hours ago, Notional said:

Here's some more fun. To be precise the 151 erratas of Skylake. I guess this means the platform/cpu is broken and people should not buy into it. https://www3.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-spec-update.pdf

Or maybe the 102 erratas on Kabylake?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/7th-gen-core-family-spec-update.pdf

*Sigh* I guess Kabylake is broken too. Sorry guys, we have to go back to 486-DX4. Those erratas should be fixed by now.

So, according to your rationale, zMeul, Intel CPUs are buggy and jalopy products, and people should be staying away from the latest Intel CPUs for at least 1/2 years.

Gee, I wish Intel would get their act together and quit being a B-grade technology company.

2 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

WHAT? @zMeul posted something bad about AMD our lord and savior???

Let's all hate on him.

He obviously took things a lot further than that: He encouraged people to not buy a product or support a company based on an inaccurate claim that doesn't warrant such behaviour - and regarding an issue which isn't unique to AMD, since it affects the latest Intel consumer CPUs just the same. It's corporate propaganda. And I don't know why anybody would post such over-stated attacks as a habit like this unless they were getting paid to do so.

https://consumerist.com/2006/02/06/did-nvidia-hire-online-actors-to-promote-their-products/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/244805/research_paid_posters_poison_the_internet.html

There are, unfortunately, a lot of jobs available for paid forum posting.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

9 hours ago, zMeul said:

remember when me and others told "you" to stay away from Zen CPUs for at least 1/2 y? this is precisely why - AMD is dealing with new arch that is bound to have HW issues and some of them cannot be fixed with a micro-code update

on top of the segmentation fault, we now have this ... if this turns into a recall, AMD will be severely hit and not only financially

as does intel, every time they bring out a new release?

this is also the reason why linus (and most other companies) prefer to not be cutting edge.

2 hours ago, Snipeon said:

Well, let's just leave the fanboys to their antics while we watch on with popcorn on our laps.

At least we don't need salt for the popcorn...

I'm honestly he hasn't had his posting privileges revoked or banned for the stuff he posts. He always leaves out the important stuff that you can read in his "sources" and then if any one points out that in his source it affects intel he goes off on a full retard rant about them missing the point or reading the wrong things.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)