Pressure or airflow with dust filter

Hey guys,

I know that pressure optimized fans should be used with radiators: NF-F12, SP120 and so on. And airflow optimized fans for case ventilation...

BUT - I have a thick foam fan filter in the front and top of my case (Arc Midi R2), so the question is:

What kind of fans to choose. I want great airflow, but there is a lot of resistance in the filter; like a radiator. 

cheers,

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

It's not like an NF-F12 will not give you good airflow, it will just not be as directed.

I would say pressure optimized fans would be best. They're just plain optimised for pushing air through things. 

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Hey guys,

I know that pressure optimized fans should be used with radiators: NF-F12, SP120 and so on. And airflow optimized fans for case ventilation...

BUT - I have a thick foam fan filter in the front and top of my case (Arc Midi R2), so the question is:

What kind of fans to choose. I want great airflow, but there is a lot of resistance in the filter; like a radiator. 

cheers,

Hey,

With thick fan filters, I like to go with presure-optimised fans. I'm pretty sure Linus said the same in a recent video. Something like the Corsair SP fans would work

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

Do you like Noctua's color scheme?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Where are you shopping/located? Budget?

Do you like Noctua's color scheme?

i live in denmark and NF-F12's are priced at $36 here. I can get 2x SP120 Quiet Edition for the same price. And no, i don't think anyone likes the color scheme :D

Budget wise, $36 is a bit too much for a single fan. $18 i can live with. which is the price of a SP120 QE

Main Rig
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Phone

i live in denmark and NF-F12's are priced at $36 here. I can get 2x SP120 Quiet Edition for the same price. And no, i don't think anyone likes the color scheme :D

Budget wise, $36 is a bit too much for a single fan. $18 i can live with. which is the price of a SP120 QE

From where are you shopping?

Corsair fans aren't that quiet. 

Is there are specific color scheme you're going for?

Fyi, I like Noctua's look. It looks rugged and premium.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

From where are you shopping?

Corsair fans aren't that quiet. 

Is there are specific color scheme you're going for?

Fyi, I like Noctua's look. It looks rugged and premium.

The color scheme doesn't matter, and therefore noctuas don't bother me at all. I found the 2x SP120 at www.dustinhome.dk

I just found nf-f12s at $27 on www.casekind.de which is a german site. Still quite expensive though..

Main Rig
Phone

The color scheme doesn't matter, and therefore noctuas don't bother me at all. I found the 2x SP120 at www.dustinhome.dk

I just found nf-f12s at $27 on www.casekind.de which is a german site. Still quite expensive though..

I just realized. You're using the Arc Midi R2. Why are you choosing between 120mm fans and not 140mm's?

I just realized. You're using the Arc Midi R2. Why are you choosing between 120mm fans and not 140mm's?

I'm very likely to do water-cooling with 2x240 rads. 

Main Rig
Phone

I'm very likely to do water-cooling with 2x240 rads. 

I recommend Arctic F12 PWM's: http://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010644324/arctic-cooling-f12-pwm-co-120mm/

They move a good amount of air, are pretty quiet, and match the case quite well.

I recommend Arctic F12 PWM's: http://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010644324/arctic-cooling-f12-pwm-co-120mm/

They move a good amount of air, are pretty quiet, and match the case quite well.

Nice, will these be good for rads despite the different blade design?

Main Rig
Phone

Nice, will these be good for rads despite the different blade design?

They perform very well on rads. 

They're pretty good for rads. 

Awesome, thanks for the help.

Main Rig
Phone