1950X max temp

Screenshotted this from AMD site. 

What does it mean max temp 68 C?

Does that mean it will throttle back or shutdown at that temp? How can there even be any substantial overclocking with that low of a max temp. That isn't near the 90-100 range like on Intel. I mean I would hope to have a stable overclock way under that, but it just doesn't seem like you would be able to crank up the volts much.

IMG_2140.PNG

On Floatplane Club the Area 51 Threadripper video is up where Linus lists under synthetic load the Ryzen Threadripper 1950x hitting 85 C. It was only at stock speed, but on a pretty inadequate looking cooler, 1 fan AIO albeit a rather thick rad.

1 hour ago, Connerq said:

On Floatplane Club the Area 51 Threadripper video is up where Linus lists under synthetic load the Ryzen Threadripper 1950x hitting 85 C. It was only at stock speed, but on a pretty inadequate looking cooler, 1 fan AIO albeit a rather thick rad.

Soldered and still hitting 85c stock?  That does not sound right to me.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

2 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Soldered and still hitting 85c stock?  That does not sound right to me.

The cooler has to dissipate the heat of 2 dies only partially covering them, it sounds about right for a single fan AIO trying to dissipate that much heat.

I saw the 68°C on the local stores website and thought it was a typo. Ryzen has a thermal cutoff at 95°C, and throttles around 85+, Threadripper is just 2 of these, and there isn't any significant reason that I am aware of that would lower this temperature limit of the CPU.

• 1 month later...

Are these temps including or excluding the offset? 85 degrees with the offset would be something like 58 degrees.

On 8/5/2017 at 3:46 PM, coconuts4eva said:

Does that mean it will throttle back or shutdown at that temp? How can there even be any substantial overclocking with that low of a max temp. That isn't near the 90-100 range like on Intel. I mean I would hope to have a stable overclock way under that, but it just doesn't seem like you would be able to crank up the volts much.

On 8/5/2017 at 5:37 PM, DrMikeNZ said:

The cooler has to dissipate the heat of 2 dies only partially covering them, it sounds about right for a single fan AIO trying to dissipate that much heat.

I saw the 68°C on the local stores website and thought it was a typo. Ryzen has a thermal cutoff at 95°C, and throttles around 85+, Threadripper is just 2 of these, and there isn't any significant reason that I am aware of that would lower this temperature limit of the CPU.

Unfortunately, 68c is the actual temp at which TR 1950x begins to throttle to protect itself.

If you have time to watch the whole video, please do so, but this is time stamped at the relevant point.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Unfortunately, 68c is the actual temp at which TR begins to throttle to protect itself.  

If you have time to watch the whole video, please do so, but this is time stamped at the relevant point.

But in the video they say the same thing. There is the core temp and then there is the core temp with the offset (tctl). With that (which many programs report) the throttle temp is 95 degrees. So, which was the one mentioned by Connerq? tdie or tctl? Becasue if people look at tctl and see 85 degrees and then compare that with the tdie max of 68 degrees they would be scared to death, without any actual need.

1 minute ago, inquam said:

But in the video they say the same thing. There is the core temp and then there is the core temp with the offset (tctl). With that (which many programs report) the throttle temp is 95 degrees. So, which was the one mentioned by Connerq? tdie or tctl? Becasue if people look at tctl and see 85 degrees and then compare that with the tdie max of 68 degrees they would be scared to death, without any actual need.

He specifically said that it throttles at 68c tdie.  68c tdie is pretty easy to hit.

23 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

He specifically said that it throttles at 68c tdie.  68c tdie is pretty easy to hit.

But that video looks at the difference of using a TR4 specific cold plate vs a smaller size. The smaller size, not originally designed for TR4, gets hotter which I would excpect. The TR4 one seems much better and under water (which many HEDT users will go for) he says that "it's just difficult to make the thing heat up enough to be relevant, even with overclocking. Really temperature was not a concern with Threadripper". I would ofc go for a cooler designed for TR4 and it seems that will not pose a problem. But from the threads I read it seems people confuse the tdie 68 degree max with the reported temp that includes the offset. So I feel that when people talk temps, it should perhaps be good to specify which temp one is talking about.

12 minutes ago, inquam said:

But that video looks at the difference of using a TR4 specific cold plate vs a smaller size. The smaller size, not originally designed for TR4, gets hotter which I would excpect. The TR4 one seems much better and underwater (which many HEDT users will go for) he says that "it's just difficult to make the thing heat up enough to be relevant, even with overclocking. Really temperature was not a concern with Threadripper". I would ofc go for a cooler designed for TR4 and it seems that will not pose a problem. But from the threads I read it seems people confuse the tdie 68 degree max with the reported temp that includes the offset. So I feel that when people talk temps, it should perhaps be good to specify which temp one is talking about.

It's pretty simple, stay below 68c tdie and enjoy full clock speeds.  Go above 68c tdie and prepare to throttle clock speeds.

Just now, done12many2 said:

It's pretty simple, stay below 68c tdie and enjoy full clock speeds.  Go above 68c tdie and prepare to throttle clock speeds.

But you don't address my initial question once. Which temp are people talking about when they post. Look at the OP, there seems to be a clear situation where tdie is confused with tctl. Because I have seen several OC tests of Theadripper 1950X at 4-4.2GHz that go above 68 degrees and don't throttle. Because the temp that is reported and that is over 68 degrees includes the offset. So the actual die temp is 27 degrees below that. So people claiming some temperature in a thread should probably identify if its tdie or tctl they are actually referencing. Otherwise things might look 27 degrees worse than they are and a cpu with a safe overclock might seem to go above max temp and incorrectly be believed to throttle.

On 8/5/2017 at 3:46 PM, coconuts4eva said:

15 minutes ago, inquam said:

But you don't address my initial question once. Which temp are people talking about when they post. Look at the OP, there seems to be a clear situation where tdie is confused with tctl. Because I have seen several OC tests of Theadripper 1950X at 4-4.2GHz that go above 68 degrees and don't throttle. Because the temp that is reported and that is over 68 degrees includes the offset. So the actual die temp is 27 degrees below that. So people claiming some temperature in a thread should probably identify if its tdie or tctl they are actually referencing. Otherwise things might look 27 degrees worse than they are and a cpu with a safe overclock might seem to go above max temp and incorrectly be believed to throttle.

For starters, if you look at my original post, I was not talking to you.  I quoted 2 people in my original post and you weren't one of them.  The OP's question was "What does it mean max temp 68 C?" and the answer is, it means throttling.  

Now to answer your question.  Tdie is not an offset temp.  Tctl is the offset and is not always exactly 20c.  Tctl is used to trigger fans at a lower actual temp, hence it being approximately 20c higher.  Tdie is the actual temp.

Since the last post was August 5:th and you answered 1 hour after I posted my question I thought you were discussing with me by referencing earlier posts.
Regarding Tctl on Threadripper it has an offset of 27 degrees. So a reported temperature of 90 degrees (by most programs that don't also offer Tdie, which you would then ofc look at) whould actually mean a Tdie of 63 degrees on Threadripper. Looking at Tctl and thinking that has a max of 68 degrees would make people panic for no reason.