Positioning of fans?

AuraDesru

I got some questions about airflow within my case. I got a new psu and a cpu cooler yesterday and I've been trying to figure out the optimal way for cooling in the case.

My mobo is placed horoizontally in the case and has the 140mm fans take air from the right side of the case and push air through the heatsink and the hot air gets pushed onto the backplate of my 1070. There is also a 120mm exhaust fan next to the DH-15 that is exhausting air out. I also have a 120mm above the DH-15 pushing air onto the heatsink. Another 120mm is pushing air onto the gpu from above. Is this optimal or should I change the orientation of some other fans?

I can't change the position of my dh-15 because it blocks the PCI-E 3.0 X16 slot

mobo.PNG

Corsair-C70-cooling.png 

I think generally in through the front and bottom, and exhaust from the back and top, if you can orientate your DH-15 to either pull air up from above the heatsink or push air up from below and exhaust it out of the top. Based on the fact hot air rises its fighting less against the natural flow of hot air, but test it out and see if you get improvements one way or another.  

11 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

I got some questions about airflow within my case. I got a new psu and a cpu cooler yesterday and I've been trying to figure out the optimal way for cooling in the case.

My mobo is placed horoizontally in the case and has the 140mm fans take air from the right side of the case and push air through the heatsink and the hot air gets pushed onto the backplate of my 1070. There is also a 120mm exhaust fan next to the DH-15 that is exhausting air out. I also have a 120mm above the DH-15 pushing air onto the heatsink. Another 120mm is pushing air onto the gpu from above. Is this optimal or should I change the orientation of some other fans?

I can't change the position of my dh-15 because it blocks the PCI-E 3.0 X16 slot

mobo.PNG

You are better off changing the rotation of the top fans and then loosing some of the rear fans

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Just now, fixitnow said:

You are better off changing the rotation of the top fans and then loosing some of the rear fans

So two top fans are exhausting ?

What do you mean by the rear fan?

Just now, AuraDesru said:

So two top fans are exhausting ?

What do you mean by the rear fan?

Yes,

The fans at the rear of the case, It would interfere with the cooler. 

Just now, fixitnow said:

Yes,

The fans at the rear of the case, It would interfere with the cooler. 

Where would I put the 120mm at?

1 minute ago, AuraDesru said:

Where would I put the 120mm at?

No where, or mod it to blow air over your HDDS. 

Just now, fixitnow said:

No where, or mod it to blow air over your HDDS. 

What about 3 exhaust fans from the top?

43 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

What about 3 exhaust fans from the top?

Do you mean the front?  They are fine.  

Just now, fixitnow said:

Do you mean the front?  They are fine.  

The front has a 200mm fan pushing air inside the case

I mean should I move the rear 120mm to the top to exhaust air.

2 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

The front has a 200mm fan pushing air inside the case

I mean should I move the rear 120mm to the top to exhaust air.

If you can. 

11 hours ago, AuraDesru said:

ad358850c9.png3d17740421.png0f8ded14be.png

Ohhh, I dint realise you where using one of those cases. I would place the fans at the front and then at the side If you can, Can you not just use another PCIe slot, can't tell if thats mATX or ITX, sorry. As long as you have positive pressure you should be fine, You don't want to have two fans next to each other blowing in different directions, this will create turbulence and make loud noises. 

13 hours ago, AuraDesru said:

Which case is this (should have said in OP so we can google pics)?

The fan over GPU should be exhaust rather than intake. GPU is exhausting from everywhere else than where its fans are. Otherwise it looks to be fine. I would have all other fans except one over GPU as intakes, though you need to get dust filters for them all. How are your temps?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 8/6/2017 at 3:03 AM, LoGiCalDrm said:

Which case is this (should have said in OP so we can google pics)?

The fan over GPU should be exhaust rather than intake. GPU is exhausting from everywhere else than where its fans are. Otherwise it looks to be fine. I would have all other fans except one over GPU as intakes, though you need to get dust filters for them all. How are your temps?

I'm making some major changes to the build currently

I'm returnig my DH-15 and getting the 15s so I don't have to worry about the PCIE slot getting blocked.

I also bought 4 extra fans for the case.

I'm thinking about installing two 120mm exhaust fans over the top of the GPU so that it is taking the hot air from the gpu and exhausting from the top.. I just don't know what to do with the last two. I'm thinking about installing them on the side but then I'm afraid of air turblance. I dont want to install them as an exahust from the top because that would take the cool air going towards the cpu cooler.

13 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

I'm thinking about installing two 120mm exhaust fans over the top of the GPU so that it is taking the hot air from the gpu and exhausting from the top.. I just don't know what to do with the last two. I'm thinking about installing them on the side but then I'm afraid of air turblance. I dont want to install them as an exahust from the top because that would take the cool air going towards the cpu cooler.

I'd really need to know which case this is to give any more detailed suggestions. Its hard to see from pics what mounting options there are and where air coming from and going. like how close side vents are for GPU, where are closest mounts for CPU and so on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

I'd really need to know which case this is to give any more detailed suggestions. Its hard to see from pics what mounting options there are and where air coming from and going. like how close side vents are for GPU, where are closest mounts for CPU and so on.

pic8.jpg

Thermaltake V21

26 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

Thermaltake V21

I don't think you need exhaust fans necessarily. Or maybe one exhaust top for GPU and then 2 front intakes for CPU. Or you could go for all 4 as intake and have 2 as side intakes for GPU. All depends on how temps are and what you want them to be.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I don't think you need exhaust fans necessarily. Or maybe one exhaust top for GPU and then 2 front intakes for CPU. Or you could go for all 4 as intake and have 2 as side intakes for GPU. All depends on how temps are and what you want them to be.

What do people even mean when they say 2 front intakes for the cpu

8 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

What do people even mean when they say 2 front intakes for the cpu

In front of the case, where your pic shows possibility for single 200mm, or 2x120/140mm having those as intake fans (bring air into case). Position is bit off, but with D15S and GPU exhausting more towards those, most of air going in will head directly to CPU cooler while GPU will be using mainly passive intake from side. In tower case those fans would bring air in for both GPU and CPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

In front of the case, where your pic shows possibility for single 200mm, or 2x120/140mm having those as intake fans (bring air into case). Position is bit off, but with D15S and GPU exhausting more towards those, most of air going in will head directly to CPU cooler while GPU will be using mainly passive intake from side. In tower case those fans would bring air in for both GPU and CPU.

You know that the left side of the case. The 2x 120mm pushing air into the cooler's fans would be taking air from inside the case right?

9a0ae517ff.png

1 minute ago, AuraDesru said:

You know that the left side of the case. The 2x 120mm pushing air into the cooler's fans would be taking air from inside the case right?

Umn, well GPU fans on their own, yes. Thats what I mean by passive intake. As in there isn't any active fans bringing air from outside of the case. All fans showing in that earlier pic (which shows all possible fan locations) are case fan positions. So they would be either providing fresh air from outside the case, or pushing hot air out of the case.

The thing with smaller cases is that you might not need fans like you need in bigger cases. Like GPU might be so close to mesh (unless that side is windowed in which case you can forget what I said about side panel) that it doesn't need anything more. But if you have window there, then you absolutely need front intake fans to bring in fresh air for both CPU and GPU.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Umn, well GPU fans on their own, yes. Thats what I mean by passive intake. As in there isn't any active fans bringing air from outside of the case. All fans showing in that earlier pic (which shows all possible fan locations) are case fan positions. So they would be either providing fresh air from outside the case, or pushing hot air out of the case.

The thing with smaller cases is that you might not need fans like you need in bigger cases. Like GPU might be so close to mesh (unless that side is windowed in which case you can forget what I said about side panel) that it doesn't need anything more. But if you have window there, then you absolutely need front intake fans to bring in fresh air for both CPU and GPU.

Let me see if I could move the window pannel to the other side

edit:

It works

I can move the window pannel from the left side to the right side of the case. Now the two fans can take air from outside and push it into the GPU.

4 minutes ago, AuraDesru said:

Let me see if I could move the window pannel to the other side

edit:

It works

I can move the window pannel from the left side to the right side of the case. Now the two fans can take air from outside and push it into the GPU.

Yeah, like I said earlier. How you set fan really depends about what you want. More cool air for components bring temps down. To certain point. You can get only so low with air cooling. And usually people want to show off GPU side of the case :D

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv