Is it better to focus on one muscle group or multiple per day?

Go to solution Solved by Thunderpup,

It really depends on what exactly your overall goal is. Losing weight, bulking up etc...

Combination work outs where you work out multiple groups with a single exercise are great. Push ups, lunges where you do bicep curls, box jumps plus many others.

You can also do super sets which is where you stack two or more workout sets right on top of each other with very little rest in-between.

For this you can do complementary workouts, where you essentially workout the same muscle group, but different ways. 1 set of bicep curls followed by 1 set of tricep extensions. rest, then repeat.

or you can even do groups that aren't really related just to get more of a total workout in a short amount of time. such as dead lifts followed by crunches.

regardless of what method(s) you choose here are a few take aways you should always keep in mind.

1. High rep with low weights help build muscle stamina.

2. High weight with low reps helps build strength and size.

3. No matter your routine you need to change it after a few months.  You will begin to plateau so you will need to mix things up to keep your body guessing.  This means changing up the exercises you perform by adding new ones in and taking some out, but also the order in which you exercise.

4.  don't "double up" to make up for missing a day.  It will only discourage you from actually doing it.  If you miss a day try to either shift your workouts, or just count it as a loss. 

5.  experiment, but listen to your body.  Getting injured is a sure fire way to lose all of the gains you have achieved.

Edit:Forgot an important one.

6.  DO NOT weigh yourself daily.  Seriously only weigh yourself once a week.  Pick a day, pick a time of day, and pick an outfit  for your weigh ins.  Human body weight fluctuates daily and you will only get confused and discouraged by daily weigh ins.

Personally i do it on Tuesdays right after changing into my workout clothes and i make sure to take a piss too.  That way the only real difference between that weigh in and the weigh in from the week prior is the amount of body weight i have.

So I have been working out daily (except for saturday and sunday) for about 3 months. Is it better to isolate one muscle group a workout or stay in the gym longer and isolate 2 per workout? Like say I'm doing chest should I also do back in the same day or do back the next day?

A smile goes much farther than the person it's meant for.

First impressions are important, it sets the stage for respect.

"If you don't know every word you don't know it!"- SGM McCray

You should be working multiple muscles at the same time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You should be working multiple muscles at the same time.

Do you mean like how bench works both chest and triceps or do you mean like multiple muscle groups per day?

Just now, TheNewbiestONewbs said:

Do you mean like how bench works both chest and triceps or do you mean like multiple muscle groups per day?

When you do your workouts, try to work multiple muscles at the same time, kind of how push-ups exercise your biceps, chest, and triceps at the same time.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

When you do your workouts, try to work multiple muscles at the same time, kind of how push-ups exercise your biceps, chest, and triceps at the same time.

Ok. I try to do cardio in the morning and free weights in the evening. 

just dont skip leg day

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I'm 14 and I've started doing pull ups to improve arm strength because I don't have any muscles. (I do actually.  Don't worry. ) Before I couldn't even do one pull up but now I can do ... one pull up and hold it for 25 seconds. I can't do two pull ups though. I think I am doing quite well. I am not as strong as people at school though. I think I should start jogging daily to improve stamina in legs so I can run a mile when there is a sale in a shop. Sorry if I said anything weird or a sentence lacking the correct terminology. 

On 8/6/2017 at 3:47 PM, afaq0 said:

I'm 14 and I've started doing pull ups to improve arm strength because I don't have any muscles. (I do actually.  Don't worry. ) Before I couldn't even do one pull up but now I can do ... one pull up and hold it for 25 seconds. I can't do two pull ups though. I think I am doing quite well. I am not as strong as people at school though. I think I should start jogging daily to improve stamina in legs so I can run a mile when there is a sale in a shop. Sorry if I said anything weird or a sentence lacking the correct terminology. 

Always run. Cardio is very important to keeping your heart healthy. 

On 8/6/2017 at 3:47 PM, afaq0 said:

Also look into body weight resistance exercises to start off with i.e. push ups, sit ups, russian twist, stuff like that and then go into weight lifting and keep up the body weight exercises.

for me it depends, ie

I did full body everyday high reps heavy weight, not my Max but 70% to build a good starting platyform ( haven't gym'd for two years+ years but a few years ago was very happy, benching 80+ weighing 65kg 

we have now shifted to isolation as we are bulking so we doing two complementary groups a day and thats low reps but as heavy as possible and soon we will shift to cutting program (don't worry we do min 3 months of each) and will be back to doing full body, light weight reps through the roof and doubling our cardio. 

It comes down to what you want out of gym.

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

I rarely just "lift weights" or "do push-ups". I try to work different groups at the same time, like doing lunge-curls or plank-hammers to work something other than my arms. I recommend kickboxing because it is more full-body, and can give really good cardio if you do it right.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

I'm working out (when I remember to, and just short ones since I'm out of shape), mostly cross-training, so a bunch of different bodyweight or weighted movements. Crossfit is the biggest regimen, but cross training is just always varying everything. You don't want to get into a groove of doing the same thing over and over, or you'll get unbalanced. Basically this:

3 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

I rarely just "lift weights" or "do push-ups". I try to work different groups at the same time, like doing lunge-curls or plank-hammers to work something other than my arms. I recommend kickboxing because it is more full-body, and can give really good cardio if you do it right.

Plus, kickboxing looks awesome. 

If my dad was on here, I could get him to explain it better (he's been doing it for years, and even coached a bit). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

It really depends on what exactly your overall goal is. Losing weight, bulking up etc...

Combination work outs where you work out multiple groups with a single exercise are great. Push ups, lunges where you do bicep curls, box jumps plus many others.

You can also do super sets which is where you stack two or more workout sets right on top of each other with very little rest in-between.

For this you can do complementary workouts, where you essentially workout the same muscle group, but different ways. 1 set of bicep curls followed by 1 set of tricep extensions. rest, then repeat.

or you can even do groups that aren't really related just to get more of a total workout in a short amount of time. such as dead lifts followed by crunches.

regardless of what method(s) you choose here are a few take aways you should always keep in mind.

1. High rep with low weights help build muscle stamina.

2. High weight with low reps helps build strength and size.

3. No matter your routine you need to change it after a few months.  You will begin to plateau so you will need to mix things up to keep your body guessing.  This means changing up the exercises you perform by adding new ones in and taking some out, but also the order in which you exercise.

4.  don't "double up" to make up for missing a day.  It will only discourage you from actually doing it.  If you miss a day try to either shift your workouts, or just count it as a loss. 

5.  experiment, but listen to your body.  Getting injured is a sure fire way to lose all of the gains you have achieved.

Edit:Forgot an important one.

6.  DO NOT weigh yourself daily.  Seriously only weigh yourself once a week.  Pick a day, pick a time of day, and pick an outfit  for your weigh ins.  Human body weight fluctuates daily and you will only get confused and discouraged by daily weigh ins.

Personally i do it on Tuesdays right after changing into my workout clothes and i make sure to take a piss too.  That way the only real difference between that weigh in and the weigh in from the week prior is the amount of body weight i have.

Thanks for all your feedback. I wasn't sure I would hear much from a tech forum on this but I was quite wrong. Thanks again have a great day.