Hosting website on own server

Traver
Go to solution Solved by manikyath,
18 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

If you have a spare old PC around, throwing Ubuntu on it and installing things like PHP will make an easy host. Even a laptop :P I don't know what you're thinking, maybe you think they want 2 top of the line Xeons? Lol.

the question is, are we talking hosting a website on your lan for shits and giggles, or are we talking one that's accessible for other people.

because if its the latter, the system it runs on is the least of your worry ;)

Hi 

I want hosting my website on a sever but I don't know what hardware I should buy

Please help me 

dont.

seriously, dont.

the cost of self-hosting is so astronomical and the risk is so high you're endlessly better off just renting a box in a datacenter.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

dont.

seriously, dont.

the cost of self-hosting is so astronomical and the risk is so high you're endlessly better off just renting a box in a datacenter.

If you have a spare old PC around, throwing Ubuntu on it and installing things like PHP will make an easy host. Even a laptop :P I don't know what you're thinking, maybe you think they want 2 top of the line Xeons? Lol.

1 hour ago, Traver said:

Hi 

I want hosting my website on a sever but I don't know what hardware I should buy

Please help me 

Look on eBay for very cheap Xeons and the compatible motherboards. You can find a motherboard that has 2 sockets for under £30. I've seen old Xeons in 2s sell for £20. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

18 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

the question is, are we talking hosting a website on your lan for shits and giggles, or are we talking one that's accessible for other people.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

I'd assume it's the latter. But a good firewall will stop most attackers. When I host things I usually make the ports close themselves after a certain time, when I'm asleep mostly. Using common sense is the best security 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

2 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

I'd assume it's the latter. But a good firewall will stop most attackers. When I host things I usually make the ports close themselves after a certain time, when I'm asleep mostly. Using common sense is the best security 

sure a good firewall would stop most, the issue is that the moment you enter the WWW terretory, there's more than just most ;)

the firewalls the company i work for deploys at clients block something like 10 attacks per day *on a normal day*.

and if it aint a normal day, should i remind you of that time someone fished up all LTT forum passwords in plaintext, or the endless amounts of DDoS attacks (which could easily cripple not just OP's network, but the entire neighborhood).

on top of that, aside from very few exceptions all ISPs have a thing in their TOS that you're not supposed to do this on your home network, and they have very good reason to do this.

I agree with @manikyath but do it yourself for short term and if the webhosting gets large enough or prolbmes arise etc then move it to a data center. :)  Have fun learn, then move. 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

Just now, Nikolithebear said:

I agree with @manikyath but do it yourself for short term and if the webhosting gets large enough or prolbmes arise etc then move it to a data center. :)  Have fun learn, then move. 

eh, you can rent a small box for less than the power cost of running an old laptop as a webhost, may as well go at it.

Just now, manikyath said:

eh, you can rent a small box for less than the power cost of running an old laptop as a webhost, may as well go at it.

True but whats the fun in that? :) 

True but whats the fun in that? :) 

in setting up the box, and having the feeling of playing along with the big boys ;)

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

in setting up the box, and having the feeling of playing along with the big boys ;)

DAMN STRAIGHT. :D  

DAMN STRAIGHT. :D  

when working at the fedex DC i met a "neighbor" in the datacenter, the room next to ours was one of those sub-renting companies that you could rent half a rack from,

the dude was like "so.. you work for the datacenter?"

me: "nah, fedex, we're a client here"

dude: "oh nice, i rent half a rack for my website"

my manager who in the meantime sat down with us: "oh, we have an entire room, we needed some space to grow into"

the look on the dude's face was a combination of brix shat, and "among the big boys" hype.

On 8/5/2017 at 2:17 PM, manikyath said:

when working at the fedex DC i met a "neighbor" in the datacenter, the room next to ours was one of those sub-renting companies that you could rent half a rack from,

the dude was like "so.. you work for the datacenter?"

me: "nah, fedex, we're a client here"

dude: "oh nice, i rent half a rack for my website"

my manager who in the meantime sat down with us: "oh, we have an entire room, we needed some space to grow into"

the look on the dude's face was a combination of brix shat, and "among the big boys" hype.

D'Awwwww!!!! I only have a 27U Rack, 4 Servers and 1 Server Configured as a SAN.... Am I a big boy now?