What's the most ghetto way you've gotten a PC to function the way you've wanted it?

H0R53

What's the most dangerous/jankiest/scrappiest/weirdest/illegitimate way you've gotten a PC to function the way you've wanted it?

Try to keep your responses concise, if you leave info out and you want to add it, don't make another post, please edit your original reply.

Right now I have an SFF Dell Optiplex running a full sized GPU (550Ti), modded PSU (soldered on a 6-pin), and a cut PCI x1 slot for a secondary GPU. Next, I cut out the drive cage so I could put two fans up front for better airflow. After that I cut the side panel so I could put it over the 550Ti.

IMG_20170805_044648.jpg

a bit tied for me..

either this ridiculously 'please dont" adapter, because it was for a server build:

51e0c0a853.jpg

(oh, and because it was in between a seasonic prime titanium, and an i7 with 32 gigs of ram on a poopy OEM board)

or this thing, everything about this thing:

596f12e1c5.jpg

700057e15f.jpg

a biref list:

- the cpu cooler is a bit out of spec and pulls VERY hard on the mobo around the cpu

- legacy pci vga card that needed a legacy flag to be set in grub to not have garbled text in linux (later on i actually managed to get xfce working)

- 4 different sticks of ram because yolo

- the power supply actually only fit after i sucked an LED off the board, and is supported by the bottom most pci slot and twist ties linked together holding the back mesh and the wires, going trough a hole in the top of the case.

- the rear fan has a blade missing, which had been replaced by a carefully shaped and weighed piece of ducktape

- the cpu cooling fan is the wrong size => more twist ties

- the fact that power supply's voltage regulation is/has gotten so bad i can measure 230V fluctuations on the +12v rail.

- the rear fan is too big, twist ties are godmode.

- this entire build came together for a budget of €0.00 every part here was fished from scrap, given to me by someone who was going to scrap it, or traded for with stuff aquired as before mentioned.

- this thing catches fire almost every time i turn it on, but i keep it operational trough excessive bodging.

- EDIT: in case it was unclear, this is an ATX board in a µATX case.

i3 530 machine with a noisy PSU and the worst mobo

Literally found the way to fix the PSU - slide a chocolate bar wrapper into the fan through the hole. it works :)

idk

The H110i GTX I bought to cool my CPU is too large to mount with fans attached to the radiator.

Not wanting to return it, I mounted it as intended, but had to put the fans in pull config on top, outside the case.  The fan wiring goes through the back where I've removed a block off shield for a PCI device.  

As a consequence, my room glows with the power of a thousand suns as those two fans have LEDs.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

- EDIT: in case it was unclear, this is an ATX board in a µATX case.

I fit a proprietary EATX board in a Vivo Smart mATX case. It was super janky but not as janky as my first one.

1 hour ago, Cooly568 said:

second monitor was VGA. I didn't have cables to adapt, so I plugged in my 550 TI along with my 970 to drive it.

Display Port to DVI? I have one of those laying around.

1 hour ago, Purgent said:

The H110i GTX I bought to cool my CPU is too large to mount with fans attached to the radiator.

Not wanting to return it, I mounted it as intended, but had to put the fans in pull config on top, outside the case.  The fan wiring goes through the back where I've removed a block off shield for a PCI device.  

As a consequence, my room glows with the power of a thousand suns as those two fans have LEDs.

Have you ever heard of zip ties?

Coincidentally there isn't a single zip tie in my main PC or my media PC. I'm building a site server out of an old Optiplex and I removed the drive cage because I want to put a 120mm AiO in it.

4 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

I fit a proprietary EATX board in a Vivo Smart mATX case. It was super janky but not as janky as my first one.

were you using the (metal) brace for the power supply as standoff for the mobo, and using a pci slot as a brace for the power supply?

CPU fan died and I was fully broke and couldn't afford another cpu cooler. So I aimed a house fan directly at the CPU cooler without the sidepanel on. To my surprise my temps improved by like 10c actually.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I was working on a laptop when I overvolted the fan. I didn't have a new one so I ended up blowing on the heatsink every few minutes to keep it cool until my new fan arrived.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I have a slim version of the very old Dell Inspiron desktop and when I bought my GTX 750, it didn't fit because it required two pci slots so i had to bend the back of the case and took the whole side panel off. I also had to prop the mobo up with some paper (because the slim version of the case couldn't hand normal sized gpus) and I taped it down so the mobo had some sort of support. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Passive breath cooling?

best type of cooling. free. 

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

My only concern is that saliva would get inside.

just don't blow too hard. ;) 

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

My only concern is that saliva would get inside.

Yeah, that happened.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

EVERYTHING about the LAN PC 3.0...

motherboard mounted with tape, one screw and cardboard

old dell server case

power button was some jumper wires and a breadboard going out of the 5.25" bay

PSU was in the case technically

the motherboard was already dying

no fans exept the intel stock cooler and the GPU

i ripped the old motherboard out with plyers

i stomped the case shut, which it didnt really, just kinda.

i assembled another computer that i brought to the same LAN party in case this one died, it did after about 1h

windows installed, but not really, but then it was. not quite sure what was going on with that

the I5 680 was overclocked 20% BCLK or it would not boot

motherboard just in a general state of sortof dead

RAM would only work in super specific combinations of slots and overclock jumpers

you had to route USB cables through the old, welded in, IO plate

you had to get the DVI cables through the PCI cutouts, you really had to FORCE the cable to get through

there is probably something im forgetting here too lol. i dont think i documented much about the LAN PC 3.0 and forward so there are sadly no pictures.

the Toaster Project is pretty janky aswell, right now thinking about ways to beef up the PSU so i can get it running so i can bring it to my friend im going to in a few days...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I had a Socket 939 PC where I had to hold the CPU heatsink on with zip ties. The video card's fan had died so I removed it and attached a spare CPU fan to the heatsink with zip ties. The damn thing worked though, and well. The CPU fan was actually a huge upgrade. xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

were you using the (metal) brace for the power supply as standoff for the mobo, and using a pci slot as a brace for the power supply?

I used the normal standoffs that I could, and removed the drive cage.

5 hours ago, GamingMemeKing said:

I posted this recently but...No AM4 bracket...lol

20170730_193732.thumb.jpg.2e8688e99d75f3f2cabdb95b8bf459d5.jpg

AM4 design is lame, why can't AMD just make it square for once?

In my first PC build, I got tired of the noise from the hard drive, so I grabbed some spare silicon gaskets from where I worked at the time, cut them up, screwed the pieces onto the hard drive, and tied it all into a 5.25" bay with some copper magnet wire I had laying around.  Even though it looked like it could've fallen apart at any second, it worked!  I eventually replaced it with an Arctic Cooling hard drive cooler/silencer.

Zip ties for the SSD instead of buying the converter.

Twist ties for the broken DVD drive door, wedged them twisted inside the door.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

There was this one time when a register in one of the retail stores I used to work for had its proprietary PSU die. It was mission critical, so I basically ductaped an ATX PSU th the outside of the case... Too bad I didn't take photos of the thing, it was HILARIOUS, but it worked until I had the chance to replace the whole machine a few days later. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

2 hours ago, Nicnac said:

I love these ghetto mods ? 

Did something similar to op to fit my CPU cooler. 

Build log is in my sig. 

Oh, in a while I'm putting a 120mm AiO inside the machine in the original post. I'm also getting a 1050Ti FTW for it since I have a 6-pin.

In all honesty I'm probably going to move it to a slightly larger (or better) case.

Double side tape for the SSD, even though there was a cage for it.

My PSU...

Taping the front case LEDs so as to run encode and rendering jobs without lighting up my room at night.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Uuummm.... bending an LGA socket pins back after I gouged it getting off my backplate (which I then hacked to bits with a Dremel so I could fit my Cyrorig M9i on properly). Lower temps now though! 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch