Take CPU out of the socket for cleaning?

Hello there,

I'm getting a bigger Noctua cooler, is it better to take the cpu out of the socket for cleaning or can i leave the cpu in the socket? Also regarding the cpu having moved due to installation? Or can I just leave it in and clean it in the socket? What do you do in such a case?

My CPU is Intel's 6900k X99.

It never would have occurred to me to remove it, just leave it in the socket to wipe off the thermal paste.  Less chance of damage.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just leave it in there, can wipe the IHS fine from there. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Leave it mounted. Unless you have thermal compound oozing out the sides on its way to the PCB (that's way too much compound by the way) then leave it in the socket. Less chance of damage, less hassle, and even if you cleaned up the edges by removing it you would see no or extremely little change in temps. Nothing to gain unless it's some sort of OCD obsession that it has to be 100% clean.

Thanks, I thought it might move but nevermind. Just cleaned it in the socket and all is well, thanks :) Yeah I took extra precautions in placing the CPU correctly before so I'm glad I didn't have to take it out again.