Was Derek Smart right?

rsgametech
2 minutes ago, rsgametech said:

Was Derek Smart right? Is the game going to be what we all want it to be. I only discovered this guy recently and he writes a lot of stuff.

http://dereksmart.com/

I don't know what "The game" equals 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this post solved your problem, please press the check below :).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just now, Saddy said:

I don't know what "The game" equals 

Well this is the only game here with it's very own section.

3 minutes ago, rsgametech said:

Was Derek Smart right? Is the game going to be what we all want it to be. I only discovered this guy recently and he writes a lot of stuff.

Also you can never fully judge a game of what a few people say. You can never tell if a game will be actually good or not from what the developers put/want to be out there 

If this post solved your problem, please press the check below :).

9 minutes ago, Saddy said:

Also you can never fully judge a game of what a few people say. You can never tell if a game will be actually good or not from what the developers put/want to be out there 

I actually invested in this twice and got two refunds as it was no where near ready and buggy as hell,  I was expecting 3.0 to be out now and there still is nothing.

I've been watching a few streams of the game and it looks alright, then again its only in Alpha so it's hard to tell from this early. Right now saying it's good is doing the same thing we did when they first announced No Mans Sky. You can never tell if a game is going to be close to good until beta versions start coming out a month or two before the actual release of the game. 

From the stuff He's been writing though it looks like they're really fucking themselves over and I honestly don't even see this game actually being released it'll probably be another DayZ where it stays in Alpha for the rest of its life until they can't afford to even support the alpha and everyone goes to jail because they can't pay their loans. (doubt any of that would actually happen but eh 'Merica Land of the Trump)

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

14 minutes ago, Ophidio said:

I've been watching a few streams of the game and it looks alright, then again its only in Alpha so it's hard to tell from this early. Right now saying it's good is doing the same thing we did when they first announced No Mans Sky. You can never tell if a game is going to be close to good until beta versions start coming out a month or two before the actual release of the game. 

From the stuff He's been writing though it looks like they're really fucking themselves over and I honestly don't even see this game actually being released it'll probably be another DayZ where it stays in Alpha for the rest of its life until they can't afford to even support the alpha and everyone goes to jail because they can't pay their loans. (doubt any of that would actually happen but eh 'Merica Land of the Trump)

It looks great and I hope it is but from my experience it wasn't well executed, I had put about 350 hours into Elite after that and it was boring at times but very immersive and playable with decent frame rates unlike the 25fps on GTX 980 because of the netcode issues which don't seem to be likely to be resolved anytime soon.

I hope it turns out great in the end but I can't justify trying it right now from what I've seen. With my PC I probably wouldn't even get 15 fps in it. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

10 hours ago, rsgametech said:

Well can you be a bit more specific? Was he right bout what exactly?

Was he right about his initial claim during his first falling out with Chris Roberts, that Star Citizen will never be anything more than the hangar module and a bunch of pretty videos? Well no, I guess he wasn't.

Was he right about it all being a complete scam, designed only to take our money and go buy an island somewhere? Eeeeh, I suppose that would make them the stupidest scammers in history, because they've been spending all that money into making a game instead. Their tax returns are publicly accessible.

Was he right when he said  that 2.0 is "nothing but a tech demo video" and we would never be able to do anything but dogfoghting in arena commander? I guess he was wrong on that one too.

Was he right 2 years ago when he said they are completely out of money and he has it "on good authority" that they will be filing for bankrupcy within a month? No, I suppose he miscalculated that one a teeny bit too.

Was he right about procedurally generated real-size planets not being a viable concept and that they would never be able to make anything like that? Eh... no.

Was he right about... dammit to hell... let me think really really hard.... Oh I HAVE IT! Was he right about Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner being married and keeping it semi-secret in order to avoid controversy? YES hell fekin' YES!!! He was RIGHT! He was right about that, guys! Those sneaky bastards! Last time I was so disturbed was during episode 1482 of "As the world turns"! 

====================================================

In all seriousness, tho. Star Citizen has development problems. It is an extremely ambitious project. They have had to readjust the scale of it several times, from the initial 2 million dollar stretch goal. Have they bitten more than they can chew? It's still possible, I don't believe so myself, but I admit that it remains to be seen.

That said, don't make the mistake of paying much attention to Derek Smart. The man has mental problems. He is salty that his own game "Line of Defense" did not receive the same backing and has been in perpetual development longer than Star Citizen. Jealousy over this drove the man to spend unhealthy amounts of his time stalking the Star Citizen project, instead of pursuing his own. It is a sad story. I don't really want to hate on him too much, I rather feel pity for the man.

Anywhoo, OP I noticed you mentioned that you have played the Star Citizen alpha. So I take it you know what it offers. Not much yet, admittedly. But let me leave you with some footage from Derek Smart's game 'Line Of Defense' which, by his own claim, is being "ripped off" by Star Citizen. Maybe you'll enjoy playing it. It's still in early access. ;-p

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT STAR CITIZEN FOOTAGE!!! JUST IN CASE ANYONE DIDN'T READ THE WALL OF TEXT FOR CONTEXT.

He's wrong, just like all the haters are wrong. The biggest reason for the delays and lack of more star systems was best explained in a recent stream about the creation of a solar system.

yeah its an hour long but watching it you get a TINY feel of what scale these people are working on. the TL;DR of it is that they made the current system (stanton) the same way a game like crysis was made. They add an object to the map and the drag it to the correct position. The difference with a game like crysis is that instead of the few hundred meters max they had to drag there, it actually millions of miles to drag it to the correct position. It took AGES to get the stuff in the right position.

What took so long is that they had to make a tool themselves to do this stuff on a much bigger scale. They show this tool in the video above. It's nowhere near finished but makes it an insane amount easier to build a star system. So this video is a perfect example of why this game has been in development so long. Everything they need to build this game doesn't exist and they have to build it themselves, that all takes time. Once tools like this are further along or finished the content in this game will grow rapidly.

This game will happen, no matter how much the haters say it won't. In 2 years time it will either be in beta or very close to it. And we'll probably be playing squadron 42 for a while then as well.

I have no signature

On 8/5/2017 at 6:34 PM, Corwin111 said:

Was he right about his initial claim during his first falling out with Chris Roberts, that Star Citizen will never be anything more than the hangar module and a bunch of pretty videos? Well no, I guess he wasn't.

Turns out that Derek didn't even play Star Citizen. (Proof in a statement by RSI).

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2015/09/25/15-09-03-rsi-response-to-demand-letter/

From what I have seen from Derek, he just seems to be on a personal vendetta to bring down RSI's reputation.

But if you turn the tables and see what Derek has achieved. Not much, as you already know.

(Found a video that represent Line of defense in a much better light ;) )

• 1 month later...

If star citizen was going to not come out it would have failed already.

they have solved a lot of the core technical challenges and created tech for a 1st person universe where you can walk around a map, hop into a spaceship, fly vast distances, spacewalk along the way, land on another planet and then again walk around seamlessly etc. I think many people don't understand how difficult all that was.

the amount of progress that they make on that core engine stuff tells me that they will get this game out.  both squadron 42 and persistent universe. they are not going to fail at creating content through their pipeline after succeeding in making the core tech. but it will take time.

now star citizen may still end up being a sucky game which is no fun to play or has no player urgency... But they will deliver the game.

Being the most open AAA game development project in the history of the industry has it's positives and negative's

-on the plus side it allowed them unprecedented crowdfunding money

-on the downside they have to publicly deal with all the bumps and twists and turns which other studios deal with internally.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps he's not entirely right or even mostly wrong but he does have some points in the essence of what he's conveying. 

Star-Citizen is definitely reaching the end of people's patience , they need a normally playable model now even if it's only a couple universes at first unlike their plans of forever new universes and scenarios. 

Even if its small scale at first there really needs to be something people can sink their teeth into soon and they can keep expanding on it at this point.

As a example the vast game realm of world of warcraft isn't even a fraction of the vision Starcitizen is trying to do and look at how long it took them even with blizzards billion's of Dollars.

But also think how long that small realm blizzard built has entertained people. 

Even if a single decent universe was released to conquer , Explore , Quest in etc it would buy RSI 1-3 years of occupying people's attentions and interests as well as them being to establish proper guilds and footholds. 

Also i feel so long as they did this RSI's future would be certain just New Ship sales alone could probably sustain them. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

On 07/10/2017 at 10:32 PM, solarflare said:

Perhaps he's not entirely right or even mostly wrong but he does have some points in the essence of what he's conveying. 

Star-Citizen is definitely reaching the end of people's patience , they need a normally playable model now even if it's only a couple universes at first unlike their plans of forever new universes and scenarios. 

Even if its small scale at first there really needs to be something people can sink their teeth into soon and they can keep expanding on it at this point.

As a example the vast game realm of world of warcraft isn't even a fraction of the vision Starcitizen is trying to do and look at how long it took them even with blizzards billion's of Dollars.

But also think how long that small realm blizzard built has entertained people. 

Even if a single decent universe was released to conquer , Explore , Quest in etc it would buy RSI 1-3 years of occupying people's attentions and interests as well as them being to establish proper guilds and footholds. 

Also i feel so long as they did this RSI's future would be certain just New Ship sales alone could probably sustain them. 

Star Citizen was put on the back burner a long time ago, in fact it's never really been the important part, Squadron 42 is the part that really needs to release ASAP, what we see in Star Citizen is simply put the bits that they can show us, the community decided they wanted more and that's they are getting, people that haven't done the research into why it's been delayed and all i ever see as soon as one patch come out is some idiot asking when is the next.

And it's people like Derek and a few idiots in the media as to why we don't all have access to the newest toys and gadgets and why groups like the evocati exist.

Either way i would rather Chris gives me the cookie rather than half baked cookie dough that the rest of the game industry seems to be making.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2017 at 4:04 PM, rsgametech said:

Imo if you look DS up in the dictionary

nN2BicC.png

My mining journey

• 3 weeks later...

Some of you LTT'ers were not even alive when Derek Smart when on his infamous USENET death threat tirades.  I'm talking about back in 1998, on the sci-fi and flightsim newsgroups, when people were bashing his 3000AD game at the time.  He made some VERY, VERY graphic and detailed death threats against several people.  Like stuff like 'putting his hand into someone's throat until they would vomit blood".

I MET This dude at E3 back when Street Fighter Alpha 3 was in beta at the capcom booth (maybe that was before then), and the "2015" (infinity ward) guys were promoting their "Men of Valor: Vietnam" game (I think).

On 19/11/2017 at 3:22 PM, Falkentyne said:

Some of you LTT'ers were not even alive when Derek Smart when on his infamous USENET death threat tirades.  

I think your under estimating how old some of us are

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2017 at 9:34 AM, Corwin111 said:

Was he right about... dammit to hell... let me think really really hard.... Oh I HAVE IT! Was he right about Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner being married and keeping it semi-secret in order to avoid controversy? YES hell fekin' YES!!! He was RIGHT! He was right about that, guys! Those sneaky bastards! Last time I was so disturbed was during episode 1482 of "As the world turns"! 

wait i'm pretty sure i have always known sandi was his wife its been a secret?

Yea, I lived through the 3000AD era. It was rather awful, I wish someone had made a quality game of similar vein at some point to replace that crap. He's completely nuts, and beyond all reason. I'd rather CR takes the time to get things right for release, and I'm pretty confident SQ42 is basically ready; however every time they change they make changes to the flight model they have to hold back releasing it. It needs to feel the same and be good practice for the PU. And changes to the model will also require rebalancing, etc.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:11 PM, 113436_1454180223 said:

wait i'm pretty sure i have always known sandi was his wife its been a secret?

It was in 2012-13... and it was supposed to be onward but everybody knew. :P

On 12/5/2017 at 4:09 AM, Grimm Spector said:

Yea, I lived through the 3000AD era. It was rather awful, I wish someone had made a quality game of similar vein at some point to replace that crap. He's completely nuts, and beyond all reason. I'd rather CR takes the time to get things right for release, and I'm pretty confident SQ42 is basically ready; however every time they change they make changes to the flight model they have to hold back releasing it. It needs to feel the same and be good practice for the PU. And changes to the model will also require rebalancing, etc.

A bit of an educated guess here, but I can bet that severe changes to the flight model will continue to be made well after SQ42 has been released. I agree with your assessment of how it SHOULD be done, but that just wouldn't match what we've been seeing so far. 

The devs keep turning the flight model upside down every major patch, while not having much time to actually play it enough to understand what is needed. At some point they will realize that all these massive changes and the need to readjust and basically relearn flying from scratch has cultivated a small but very active community of consummate experts on the subject with thousands of flight hours in all flight model versions and a pretty good idea (and also a pretty solid general consensus) of exactly what should be done. At some point they will come to us for advice, and when that happens, the FM will change again. This time for good. :)

However, knowing CIG, I would be really surprised if this realization comes before the release of SQ42.

3 hours ago, Corwin111 said:

A bit of an educated guess here, but I can bet that severe changes to the flight model will continue to be made well after SQ42 has been released. I agree with your assessment of how it SHOULD be done, but that just wouldn't match what we've been seeing so far. 

The devs keep turning the flight model upside down every major patch, while not having much time to actually play it enough to understand what is needed. At some point they will realize that all these massive changes and the need to readjust and basically relearn flying from scratch has cultivated a small but very active community of consummate experts on the subject with thousands of flight hours in all flight model versions and a pretty good idea (and also a pretty solid general consensus) of exactly what should be done. At some point they will come to us for advice, and when that happens, the FM will change again. This time for good. :)

However, knowing CIG, I would be really surprised if this realization comes before the release of SQ42.

Yes, the devs do, but they're still branding this stage as alpha, i.e. technical completion is not yet done. So this is the stage they should be doing it in, it's just that most alphas aren't released to so many people nor so publicly. I'm hoping this next big change will be the last large one, and the rest will become incremental enough they can ship SQ42. I have faith in CR based on his past works, though I can imagine right now it's a tad of an administrative nightmare for him.