PUBG CPU or GPU heavy?

DannyRyu

It's pretty single-threaded in my experience so high CPU IPC is king. Having said that, at 1440p with a GTX980 @ 1500Mhz and a 6800k at 4Ghz the GPU is still the bottleneck.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

soo, if I have an i3-4170 and a GTX 960 both are maxed out at 100%

which would yield better gains an i5-4460 or RX 480/580?

i5 4690 + GTX970 (1400Mhz)

Was dropping GPU usage to the 60-100% range (super rare though to hit those lows, usually only a tiny bit necked)

The July update helped a great deal with CPU+GPU usage on the i5 though...

Mostly now 90-100% GPU usage, with usually sticking closer to 99-100%

i7 4790K @ 4.7Ghz + GTX970 (1400Mhz)

GPU bound 95-100% of the time. (I also do not use Ultra presets, just Ultra Textures/Distance) with everything else on low and have been since the start.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

9 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

i5 4690 + GTX970 (1400Mhz)

Was dropping GPU usage to the 80-100% range (super rare though to hit those lows, usually only a tiny bit necked)

The July update helped a great deal with GPU usage on the i5 though...

Mostly now 90-100% GPU usage, with usually sticking closer to 99-100%

i7 4790K @ 4.7Ghz + GTX970 (1400Mhz)

GPU bound 95-100% of the time. (I also do not use Ultra presets, just Ultra Textures/Distance) with everything else on low and have been since the start.

so more GPU bound?

1 minute ago, DannyRyu said:

so more GPU bound?

It is now, but the 'demand' does indeed call for a HIGH frequency i5 but it can still spike to induce (minfps) drops, even/especially with everything at low details due to higher details also needing optimization. (People will Mix High textures with mostly 'lows') for the best all round range of fluidity and gameplay benefits.

But the july patch, really helped the switch to GPU bound.

Previous, the usages were 40-65% GPU on the i5 nearing 90-100% spikes., you would say I was IPC/thread bound for the optimization thus far...GPU suffered.

July dropped, CPU usage 'evened out' GPU usages went up, but its not perfect, I drop HEAVY (100 down to 40) just for having shadows on medium (looks nice) in 'select scenes' I just see the FPS drop so much... so there is a lot of work to be done with GPU effects/whatever the term is...

But CPU usages are much better now, and likely to get better.

Right after July I got my 4790K, pushed to 4.7Ghz, and CPU isn't an issue ever,...minus the small counts of optimization lacking time to time.

But if you have higher frequency 4 threads, or 4+4 threads, I think you'll be fine now... IMO.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

It is now, but the 'demand' does indeed call for a HIGH frequency i5 but it can still spike to induce (minfps) drops, even/especially with everything at low details due to higher details also needing optimization. (People will Mix High textures with mostly 'lows') for the best all round range of fluidity and gameplay benefits.

But the july patch, really helped the switch to GPU bound.

Previous, the usages were 40-65% GPU on the i5 nearing 90-100% spikes., you would say I was IPC/thread bound for the optimization thus far...GPU suffered.

July dropped, CPU usage 'evened out' GPU usages went up, but its not perfect, I drop HEAVY (100 down to 40) just for having shadows on medium (looks nice) in 'select scenes' I just see the FPS drop so much... so there is a lot of work to be done with GPU effects/whatever the term is...

But CPU usages are much better now, and likely to get better.

Right after July I got my 4790K, pushed to 4.7Ghz, and CPU isn't an issue ever,...minus the small counts of optimization lacking time to time.

But if you have higher frequency 4 threads, or 4+4 threads, I think you'll be fine now... IMO.

would you recommend I get a CPU first? or GPU first considering my setup

Get a new CPU, you don't need anything special, I'm running an i7 4820k personally, but that CPU is definately showing its age.

The game seems to be CPU bound, my GPU is only in the range of around 60%-90% usage, but never maxes out.

2 minutes ago, ErrDeeEff said:

The game seems to be CPU bound, my GPU is only in the range of around 60%-90% usage, but never maxes out.

I guess I'll do that thank you :)
it was also the cheaper option so kinda glad xD would the i5-4460 last me awhile?

If possible, try and get a processor with newer architecture. Just like your i3 and my i7, that's Haswell which is outdated, not because its poor, but because its becoming obsolete compared to newer processors. If you can, try and get a new Motherboard and Processor together, so you can get something newer. The first number is generally the generation of the processor (I.E. 4000: 4th, 5000: 5th, 6000: 6th, etc). The old processors would still work, but newer ones are gaining marginally higher clock speeds and would last your substantially longer.

3 hours ago, ErrDeeEff said:

If possible, try and get a processor with newer architecture. Just like your i3 and my i7, that's Haswell which is outdated, not because its poor, but because its becoming obsolete compared to newer processors. If you can, try and get a new Motherboard and Processor together, so you can get something newer. The first number is generally the generation of the processor (I.E. 4000: 4th, 5000: 5th, 6000: 6th, etc). The old processors would still work, but newer ones are gaining marginally higher clock speeds and would last your substantially longer.

I don't have that kind of money, am planning to eventually have a new build in a couple years once this one doesn't perform how I want it to.

4 hours ago, ErrDeeEff said:

If possible, try and get a processor with newer architecture. Just like your i3 and my i7, that's Haswell which is outdated, not because its poor, but because its becoming obsolete compared to newer processors.

Especially but not totally.. I'd tend to think this is mainly "when at low frequencies" especially.

Example, a locked i5 4460, can only go so far with it's clockspeed, and you can say the architecture is slow by todays standards.

But a 4thGen i5-K at 4.6Ghz or 4thGen i7 3.9Ghz stock/overclocked can still maintain results closer to higher end architectures.

Basically, they are obsolete as an architecture compared to today if the frequency you have is on the lower end of the spectrum.

Which is why the 4690/4790 looks so damn enticing to many people who don't like overclocking, because it's sitting at 3.7-3.9Ghz.

13 hours ago, DannyRyu said:

I don't have that kind of money, am planning to eventually have a new build in a couple years once this one doesn't perform how I want it to.

Then don't bother getting a new CPU now if you're rebuilding soon enough, it will just be a test part sitting on a shelf from then on.