4K or a lower resolution?

Hello all,

So I built my first gaming PC this summer, prior to that I had always been a PlayStation guy.  I am currently using a 1080p monitor that was a second screen for my laptop, it's specs are not quite up to snuff for gaming with a 7ms response time.  So my question is should I jump up to a 4k monitor or stick with something lower?  I'm running a i5 7600k and gtx 1080 in my PC.  I know that most people don't want to play anything less than 60fps but I would be ok with running at lower frame rates in single player games like Tomb Raider as long as it was still playable.  Like I said i am accustom to the 30fps from ps4.

Thanks for any advice you can give or monitor recommendations, not trying to break the bank on some 144Hz, 4k, g-sync beast though.  

1 minute ago, sbpart01 said:

Hello all,

So I built my first gaming PC this summer, prior to that I had always been a PlayStation guy.  I am currently using a 1080p monitor that was a second screen for my laptop, it's specs are not quite up to snuff for gaming with a 7ms response time.  So my question is should I jump up to a 4k monitor or stick with something lower?  I'm running a i5 7600k and gtx 1080 in my PC.  I know that most people don't want to play anything less than 60fps but I would be ok with running at lower frame rates in single player games like Tomb Raider as long as it was still playable.  Like I said i am accustom to the 30fps from ps4.

Thanks for any advice you can give or monitor recommendations, not trying to break the bank on some 144Hz, 4k, g-sync beast though.  

Well, idk if it'd play 4K that well on medium, but definitely 1440p if you wanna go for that. You only really need high FPS for FPS games, but it doesn't hurt other genres, it's just best suited for those. Once you have seen higher FPS you kinda start to notice it more, I used to like gaming on my Xbox 360 for retro stuff, but it's painful now almost. 

Yours faithfully

11 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Well, idk if it'd play 4K that well on medium, but definitely 1440p if you wanna go for that. You only really need high FPS for FPS games, but it doesn't hurt other genres, it's just best suited for those. Once you have seen higher FPS you kinda start to notice it more, I used to like gaming on my Xbox 360 for retro stuff, but it's painful now almost. 

I could get high settings 4k on 970 sli, 1080 will run like 90% of games at 4k ultra 30 fps+, even ME:Andromeda runs 40 FPS at 4k on my rig. I do agree though that you really want 40+, 30 can have a tendency to drop into the 20's and that aint great! 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

I could get high settings 4k on 970 sli, 1080 will run like 90% of games at 4k ultra 30 fps+, even ME:Andromeda runs 40 FPS at 4k on my rig. I do agree though that you really want 40+, 30 can have a tendency to drop into the 20's and that aint great! 

I think the AA settings (just 2x to remove the odd jaggie) and the anisotropic or other post work can eat quite a bit into the performance, as well as the fancy settings, so sure it can do high and ultra textures, but not all the effects and that just ruins the point of ultra. 

Yours faithfully

Personally, if using a monitor that's 28" in size, I'd rather go with 1440p/144Hz (ideally with g-sync) than 4k/60Hz. You be able to run much higher settings at 1440p and likely get a better quality monitor for the same price if you go 1440p over 4k. For a larger screen or if you use a TV then 4k is much better due to pixel density issues.

Having said that, you can do whatever you prefer and you'll be alright. A 1070 will be able to run most games in 4k at >high settings and any older games at ultra without issue. My 980 can play games like GTAV at very-high (45-55fps), Rocket league at ultra (>60fps, don't know exactly how much due to v-sync), and Mad Max at ultra (~50fps) in 4k so a 1070 will be just fine in most cases. At worst you can drop some settings and with future games you can always run 1080p without interpolation on a 4k monitor if you can't run 4k.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

25 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I think the AA settings (just 2x to remove the odd jaggie) and the anisotropic or other post work can eat quite a bit into the performance, as well as the fancy settings, so sure it can do high and ultra textures, but not all the effects and that just ruins the point of ultra. 

You have no reason to run AA at 4k, the pixel count is so high there's no point. I have had no issues running my games at 4k ultra (-AA of course) the only game that is an issue is Watch Dogs 2 - I do have one of the fastest 1080's mind and it's on water to maintains 2050mhz boost. :)

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

You have no reason to run AA at 4k, the pixel count is so high there's no point. I have had no issues running my games at 4k ultra (-AA of course) the only game that is an issue is Watch Dogs 2 - I do have one of the fastest 1080's mind and it's on water to maintains 2050mhz boost. :)

That's not true, AA is still needed to graduate the stepping, even at UHD there is still stepping, AA blurs edges as you know, so even the tiny pixels of UHD still need AA, just a very low amount, FXAA would be enough to probably make any angle absolutely smooth. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

That's not true, AA is still needed to graduate the stepping, even at UHD there is still stepping, AA blurs edges as you know, so even the tiny pixels of UHD still need AA, just a very low amount, FXAA would be enough to probably make any angle absolutely smooth. 

Well personal preference and PPI play a piece, I don't feel a need to have it at 4k, but use it daily for 1440P 

Ryzen Ram Guide

Thanks for the input, lots of good info to consider.