Is a 1TB SSD Worth it?

teedis

Hello,

I am currently looking at getting a new hard drive for my gaming pc. My question is if I were to spend the extra money on an SSD would it be worth it? I am looking at the Samsung evo 850 or the Seagate 2TB firecuda. Would installing games on the SSD make a noticeable difference in performance? I already have a small SSD that I have windows on that I would keep. I would swap out my really old hard drive that I have all my games installed to.

no performance increase, only loading speed increase 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

In performance? No difference. In load times? Yes, they'd be quicker. 

Whether shorter load times is worth it to you is really up to you. I'd suggest putting some games on your existing SSD and compare it to how they launch on an HDD to see if you think the difference is worth it. 

Don't get a Firecuda, SSHDs are a waste of money. Stick with SSDs and HDDs on their own. 

Get a HDD and a SSD.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

In performance? No difference. In load times? Yes, they'd be quicker. 

Whether shorter load times is worth it to you is really up to you. I'd suggest putting some games on your existing SSD and compare it to how they launch on an HDD to see if you think the difference is worth it. 

Don't get a Firecuda, SSHDs are a waste of money. Stick with SSDs and HDDs on their own. 

Ok yeah. Im just impatient lol So I guess ill just save up the money to get a full SSD. My games currently install pretty slow too so I assume an SSD would help with that as well

Just now, teedis said:

Ok yeah. Im just impatient lol So I guess ill just save up the money to get a full SSD. My games currently install pretty slow too so I assume an SSD would help with that as well

If you're downloading the games and installing through something like Steam, it will be limited by your internet speed long before your storage. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you're downloading the games and installing through something like Steam, it will be limited by your internet speed long before your storage. 

Yeah my internet is good. After its downloaded via steam it usually take an extra 10 minutes to install. I really just need the drive to catch up with my internet lol

I can't think of a way to fill up 1TB worth of game that actually benefits from SSD. 

Only some games benefit from SSD, not all.

13 minutes ago, teedis said:

Hello,

I am currently looking at getting a new hard drive for my gaming pc. My question is if I were to spend the extra money on an SSD would it be worth it? I am looking at the Samsung evo 850 or the Seagate 2TB firecuda. Would installing games on the SSD make a noticeable difference in performance? I already have a small SSD that I have windows on that I would keep. I would swap out my really old hard drive that I have all my games installed to.

Not worth it.

@teedis This is my opinion but if you hate hard drive noise like i do then yeah it's a good idea. If you don't mind get an HDD.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

I'm also looking to decrease my boot time. I do have windows installed on the SSD but my boot still take upwards of a minute sometimes. I have no unnecessary boot up programs so would that be on my motherboard at this point? 

The only game I've actually seen a non-trivial performance difference was in ARMA 3. But ARMA 3 is kind of wah in its implementation anyway.

Otherwise in-game performance is not affected by the storage performance. I was able to run games off a NAS with 802.11ac Wi-Fi just fine (I was curious)

Just now, teedis said:

I'm also looking to decrease my boot time. I do have windows installed on the SSD but my boot still take upwards of a minute sometimes. I have no unnecessary boot up programs so would that be on my motherboard at this point? 

What kind of SSD do you have?

1 minute ago, Cyberspirit said:

What kind of SSD do you have?

I think its a 250gb Samsung 850 EVO about 2 years old now

If you got the cash to throw at it, go for it. I did, twice, after the 1st one filled up...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@teedis How full is it? It should take like 3 seconds

I think its close to max. I am most likely going to reformat both of my drives to clean them up. My internet surfing practices were not the best in the past and I have a bunch of junk on my HDD that I dont want to go through

Just now, teedis said:

I think its closed to max. I am most likely going to reformat both of my drives to clean them up. My internet surfing practices were not the best in the past and I have a bunch of junk on my HDD that I dont want to go through

SSDs can degrade in performance if they're close to full due to needing scratchpad space for internal operations.

@teedis Now i'm not sure how much but you are supposed to leave some space (maybe 10Gb) free on the SSD all the time for it to workd nicely.

You could also try downloading samsung magician to see how's your SSD's health

ah ok I didnt know that. I will clean it up for sure. Thanks guys

10 minutes ago, teedis said:

Move windows to the new ssd, they come in different levels of quality and it sounds like your old one is dying

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, teedis said:

If you don't want to deal with this constantly, the original strategy was to leave some of the SSD as unformatted. The SSD would be smart enough to use the unformatted space for overprovisioning (as it's called)

You can read more about it at http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/downloads/document/Samsung_SSD_845DC_04_Over-provisioning.pdf

2 minutes ago, teedis said:

Samsung magician

Make sure to try this because it tells you how your SSD is doing and you can even benchmark it.

SamsungMagician_2017-08-04_19-09-00.png

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

Samsung magician

Make sure to try this because it tells you how your SSD is doing and you can even benchmark it.

SamsungMagician_2017-08-04_19-09-00.png

Thanks for the link I appreciate it. I am at work right now but ill give it a try when I get home.