Bungie does a thing: blocks 3rd party overlays and capture software for running with Destiny 2

source: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101

via: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-04-destiny-2-blocks-some-popular-game-capture-programs-and-discord-overlays

D2_Logo_Explorations_Black_J01.png

To help ensure that every player will have a fair shot at fun and glory in Destiny 2 on PC, we resist attempts by third-party applications to insert code into the game client. This may result in incompatibility between Destiny 2 PC and the features of common third-party applications. 

OBS and XSplit
The Game Capture mode of applications such as OBS and XSplit is not supported. The following methods are supported for capturing video of Destiny 2 on PC: 

• To capture while playing in Exclusive Fullscreen:
    • Hardware capture through methods such as Elgato, AVerMedia, or a dedicated streaming PC is supported.
    • NVIDIA Shadowplay and AMD ReLive are supported.
  • To capture while playing in Windowed Mode (including Borderless Fullscreen):
    • OBS and XSplit Screen Capture mode is supported.
    • OBS and XSplit Window Capture mode is supported.

PLEASE NOTE: Other recording applications, such as Dxtory, Razer Cortex, Fraps have similar restrictions to those outlined above.

Overlays

Some features from third-party applications which rely on the use of screen overlays are generally not compatible with Destiny 2. The following are examples of features which may not be compatible with Destiny 2 on PC. 

Voice Communications
“Who’s talking” and visual notification features, such as those provided by Discord or Mumble, are not compatible with Destiny 2. Notification features may still be provided through the third-party application. 

Hardware Monitoring
Framerate and statistics overlays, such as those provided by EVGA Precision XOC, MSi Afterburner, and Fraps, are not compatible with Destiny 2.

some people say that this is for preventing people from running cheats and whatnot - while I don't believe this to their primary goal, it's understandable

what I believe their primary goal is to force people into buying the game rather than spectate it on Twitch&Co

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

what I believe their primary goal is to force people into buying the game rather than spectate it on Twitch&Co

I don't think these are comparable at all.

it's like football companies trying to interrupt sports games to make people buy footballs. very backwards and dumb.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

rip @AluminiumTech, he loves to play with rivatuner overlay on to measure his CPU clockspeed while gaming! VERY VERY important! 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Wait, so its not supported but it is supported? I'm a little confused with this article. 

MGSVPP wasn't allowed to be streamed until a week or two after release so maybe this is the same problem. However I imagine it would still be able to stream over console anyway. 

20 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I don't think these are comparable at all.

it's like football companies trying to interrupt sports games to make people buy footballs. very backwards and dumb.

I think they just can't be bothered dealing with the injection process potentially breaking things/creating MORE work... and can't allow time to fix those issues right now, so they lock it out until a later date.

I think this will be bypassed (by them) in due time.

Maybe they know right now it breaks the game in some way/s, and it would be a bad launch campaign if streamers/gamers were complaining...

So they'll wait it out for a bit...after people have already invested.

So they state this, to save face from the launch day "WTF"s "It aint working, this is garbage" Streamer/Recording comments.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Title is fallacious in the sense that they are usable in some way and not wholly blocked. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

23 minutes ago, zMeul said:

some people say that this is for preventing people from running cheats and whatnot - while I don't believe this to their primary goal, it's understandable

They only say some capture methods are no longer supported, but they also list many that still are. It doesn't stop you from capture/streaming if you are willing to use those methods that remain supported. If they wanted to block streaming there are alternate paths that may be more effective.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Just now, porina said:

They only say some capture methods are no longer supported, but they also list many that still are. It doesn't stop you from capture/streaming if you are willing to use those methods that remain supported. If they wanted to block streaming there are alternate paths that may be more effective.

no there aren't alternate paths

even if they employ DHCP encryption, there will still be ways to bypass it

they are blocking the most common tools available to the "average joes"

Is cheating through OBS capture thing a thing? I mean whatever if you can get the framerate and use Shadowplay (or AMD VCE) this doesn't really stops anyone from steaming it since guess what? Just some clicks on OBS and you're getting it through Shadowplay and then use your overlays and webcam feed and you're in business.

I'd be more worried if they just had an "Oh shit" moment and caught some strange vulnerability unique to this title and decided to nuke it along with all overlays and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

no there aren't alternate paths

even if they employ DHCP encryption, there will still be ways to bypass it

they are blocking the most common tools available to the "average joes"

The quote in OP says that game capture mode no longer works, but you can still use screen/window capture modes. They are not blocking the software outright, only that a certain setting is no longer supported. And you still have AMD/nvidia GPU capture, as well as capture cards. I think the common thing about the working options is they probably don't rely on hooking into the game as much as the no longer supported modes.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

So what they're saying is their anti-cheat system is going to be garbage and they're too lazy to adjust for OBS/XSplit hooks. Got it.

While I have no dog in this fight as I don't care one rip about Destiny, I can't see how they can block the use of OBS if you're using the NVENC hardware.  Just like with Share (formerly known as Shadowplay), all OBS is doing is tapping the idle h.264 hardware encoder on the GPU.  There's no "hook" into the game for that.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

I hope destiny 2 flops and they realize people don't like arbitrary restrictions. If they get away with this it's only a matter of time before everyone starts doing it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hahaha so lame. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

While I have no dog in this fight as I don't care one rip about Destiny

Ditto for me, too.  After doing some research, it appears D2 is in beta phase, prior to launch. My guess is, they don't want any story spoilers being streamed until after the launch date.  If so, then they'll probably lift this after launch (at some point, anyway).

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

source: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Article/46101

via: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-04-destiny-2-blocks-some-popular-game-capture-programs-and-discord-overlays

I find this reasoning to be rather silly. Those that want to play the game, will buy it. They won't settle with just watching others play it. We are not talking a heavy story driven game, it's an MMORPG. I can't imagine people would want to watch someone play an MMO. The anti-cheat argument makes far more sense. Preventing applications from hooking is basically a blanket anti-cheat. Is it the lazy way of going about it? Some might say so, but it's better than nothing. 

Other titles do the same thing. It's why Rivatuner offers a "low detection level" and "stealth mode" to bypass titles with strict anti-cheat. Guild Wars 2 has issues with Rivatuner without using these settings. It's completely normal for MMO's. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Your reasoning makes no sense. Twitch streaming sells games. You sound like a grandpa who "doesn't understand kids these days". Bungie's reason makes sense, but it could have all been avoided with dedicated servers instead of P2P.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Is cheating through OBS capture thing a thing? I mean whatever if you can get the framerate and use Shadowplay (or AMD VCE) this doesn't really stops anyone from steaming it since guess what? Just some clicks on OBS and you're getting it through Shadowplay and then use your overlays and webcam feed and you're in business.

I'd be more worried if they just had an "Oh shit" moment and caught some strange vulnerability unique to this title and decided to nuke it along with all overlays and such.

It's not that cheating through OBS capture is a thing. It's that they implemented a system that stops 3rd party software from interfering with the game and these recording software are unfortunate collateral damage.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

clickbait.

you can still stream/record the game which means they arent forcing you to buy the game instead of watching it on twitch. 

This seems a bit over dramatic. They're not blocking it. It's just not available in "Exclusive Fullscreen" mode

However something seems not right here.

These seem like limitations Microsoft created within the Universal Windows Platform.
Is Destiny 2 going to be a UWP game. I really hope not, but this makes me think it might be.

They even call the display mode "Exclusive Fullscreen"

Perhaps Bungie is trying to take flack for some of the lacking features before they announce it as a UWP game.

(I really, really hope I'm wrong)

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

57 minutes ago, SubTract said:

Is Destiny 2 going to be a UWP game. 

Isn't Blizzard releasing the game on it's launcher? I don't think the game is gonna be in the Windows Store and on the Blizzard launcher at the same time

I doubt they're doing this to stop cheaters. Hackers always find a way with time.

I agree with those above that says it's them knowing injecting codes are breaking things with the game and they don't want streamers to complain about the game.

Just want to make things a little clearer.

The reason they're not blocking windowed capture modes is because in those modes you just grab things from the Windows compositor via the Desktop Duplication API. Destiny can't block those methods of capture short of anti-cheat Rootkits such as gameguard.

Fullscreen mode requires either:

A) pulling it direct from the GPU a la shadowplay which is still possible

or

B) using GDI to Bitblt the screen, which reads from the applications memory, which is likely something they're blocking.

I also wouldn't be surprised if input injection such as the SCP Filter Driver also has issues with this game.

All in all this seems like they're just too lazy to implement a proper anti-cheat and just went "IF YOU'RE READING OR WRITING OUR APPS MEMORY YOU'RE A DIRTY DIRTY CHEATER RAAAAGHGH!!!!!"

Easiest way to resolve optimising the game is to stop people being able to see how many FPS they get :D

MAD-BOX Ryzen 1600X - ASRock X370 Killer SLI - Sapphire R9 Fury NITRO+  -Fried it... RIP

Xeon e5640 4.35ghz, CoolerMaster Seidon 240V, ASUS P6X58D-E, DDR3 8GB 1636mhz CL9, Sapphire Fury Nitro OC+, 2x Stone age storage @ 7200RPM, Crucial 960GB SSD, NZXT S340, Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution, Steelseries RIVAL, Mechanical Metal keyboard, Boogie Bug Aimb mouse pad.