[Solved] Stuttering and freezes in Borderlands 2

Hi,

this is my first post on this forum. I didn't know where this belongs, but I couldn't really find a good place for it(mods move this if that's preferred).

Problem:

When playing Borderlands 2 the image freezes but audio(music, not effects) are still playing.

Further explanation:

The game stops. It resumes to normal all from a few seconds to minutes later. This happens so often that the game becomes unplayable. This happens in singleplayer and multiplayer, but the difference is that when it's multiplayer the "world" continues, you can get attacked, but in singleplayer it stops. You fire up MSI Afterburner and you can see that everything seems normal except that the GPU performance fluctuate between 0% and 100%.

unknown.png

You try to lower every setting to lowest to see if it helps. It does not. It's time for you to search google for a solution. You find out that reinstalling the game, disabling Physx, running "Borderlands2.exe" instead of "launcher.exe", updating drivers, or even turning your system off and on again doesn't help. what can possibly be the problem?

Solution:

Windows 10 doesn't cooperate well with DirectX9. You need to run it in compatibility mode.

How to fix:

• Browse local files
    • Go to steam library
    • Right click Borderlands
    • Properties
    • Local files tab
    • "BROWSE LOCAL FILES" button
  • Go to \Binaries\Win32
  • Right click "Borderlands2.exe"
  • Properties
  • Compatibility tab
  • Check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"-box
  • Then run it in Windows 7

Now you just have to make a shortcut to "Borderlands2.exe" to run that and not the "launcher.exe" and you're good. Been playing for a couple of days with no freezes at all. I hope this helps.

Borderlands 2 doesn't have issues with windows 10. It sounds like you have a dying video card or you're using VGA. I had similar issues with my old laptop with a 9800m gts after like 7 years and it did it on every game. It only worked after I connected to a monitor using HDMI.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I have a couple months old gtx 1060 using Displayport. It only does this on Borderlands 2, and this fix fixed it completely. This is not a "This will fix all your problems", merely a "This fixed my problem, it might fix yours". But thanks for input. If something like this happens in the future I will consider your comment.