Can I handle it?

NTDaws

So guys, will I be able to handle a Vega 64 Limited Edition when it releases? I mean the PSU. It's a EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550w. I want to buy a 8th gen lga1151 cpu if they support lga1151 that is. And a Vega 64 Limited Edition, do you think I could handle it with the PSU? Replace the 8th gen with a i7 7700.

The geek himself.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Ok well thats fine, but will a 7700 and a vega 64 work with a 550Watt PSU?

I reckon that's a little bit too tight for my taste.

Vega 64 with Air Cooler is rated for 295W

Vega 64 with water cooling is rated for 345W

Go with a 650W and at least 80+ rated PSU

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

6 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

No this one https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817148065&cm_re=500w_power_supply-_-17-148-065-_-Product:) 

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

58 minutes ago, Dargenfire said:

Why??

My i7-3930K is @ around 300W under Load. That's with no OC and 'just' an RX480.

If we assume the card would consume 150W under load and double it, we still are just @ around 450W load. That's just around 80% load of the PSU. And a high quality PSU is rated for 100% load 24/7...

With a good 550W you can use TWO (mid range) graphics cards like this RX480 with ease...

Why?

We aren't talking about Skylake-X. With one of those one could think about it. But with a normal Dekstop CPU??

PS: WHy not Ryzen??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Your PSU will last much longer and deliver more consistent power if it's peak load is not too close to it's maximum capacity, plus it's good to give yourself headroom if you want to overclock or upgrade in the future.

7 hours ago, Dargenfire said:

Your PSU will last much longer and deliver more consistent power if it's peak load is not too close to it's maximum capacity, plus it's good to give yourself headroom if you want to overclock or upgrade in the future.

I don't plan to

The geek himself.

11 hours ago, Dargenfire said:

Have you proof for this thought? 
I haven't seen any.

But I have this against your accusation:

DSC_4247Andere.th.jpg

Manufacturer says that it's good for 24/7 with 100% load.

And another thing you should have mentioned:
We have to know what components the PSUs use to guess if the +100W version may last longer or not. Sometimes the differences between 550W and 650W are tiny and not worth talking about. Bit without a component comparisation (capacitors, FETs), it's not easily done.

And sometimes you get +100W at a rather high cost. Like almost double the fan RPM @ idle. That's what happend with the Bitfenix Whispr M. 450 and 550W have a 0.45A fan, the 650 to 850W version have a 0.6A fan. And thus the rpm at low loads rises from 400rpm up to 670rpm.

An example (scroll down for the manufacturers document):
https://www.hartware.de/2012/11/27/be-quiet-dark-power-pro-10-650w/8/

You can see that the 550W version @100% load has a lower fan rpm than the 650W at 10% load.

As for upgrades:
Wich modern component has increased the power consumption dramatically??

Normal Desktop CPUs still have around 100W TDP, only with the HEDT processors you may want something more than 550W. Only then!

And also you have to have a high end graphics card as well. Not a GP104 based one but GP102! Polaris isn't enough either, VEGA is needed. And also probably some kind of overclocking...

So no, a 550W unit is plenty for most users, more than they ever need.

And a CPU/board won't be replaced if it ain't broken until the warranty of the PSU is in the last year or void....

As with the graphics card:

Even with High End graphics cards, 550W is more than enough.

So the 'for upgrading' argument isn't one for more power at all.

Since the introduction of DX11, there hasn't been any increase in power consumption. Quite the opposite!

In the sub 300$ range (~GTX 570 price range), the power consumption dropped in the last couple of years or at worst stayed about the same.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"