Well this can't be good, Vega 64 could be great for mining

DoctorWho1975
1 minute ago, TimeOmnivore said:

The only purpose in life is to enjoy what little of it you have left. If these people's actions are actively making it more difficult for me to enjoy my life more than it otherwise would be, then no, I don't care about their lives or the families they need to support. Call me selfish and I'll wholeheartedly agree with you - I am. It's not my job to care about their well-being.

If that is truly your only life purpose save for a 1080 or 1080ti.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, no, they need both.  Mining sales are great and all but they're highly unreliable as history has shown that the usage of GPUs in mining can evaporate quickly.  They're good, for sure.  But they also need sales from people buying individual cards and from OEMs installing them into their pre-builts.  To alienate customers can drive customers to competitors and this can have a long term effect on unit sales.

It's because they know mining is volatile that they are waiting for their inevitable crash or a high sales season to do something more drastic about it. As you say the gaming market is far more loyal and as such they can complain a lot but are unlikely to just give up gaming because of a few months of scarcity. If it goes on from 6 months to a year then at that point you will see gaming cards that completely block compute outside of games.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Guys. There was only one retail dude making the claim. It's not proven to be the truth. 

Don't get so excited/upset yet.

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

If that is truly your only life purpose save for a 1080 or 1080ti.

The problem I have isn't that GPUs are expensive, it's that they are more expensive than they should be because of a specific group of people. I already am doing as you say and am saving up, but that doesn't mean it's not frustrating or that the miners aren't (at least partially) at fault.

I guess I better pre-order as many as I can so I can flip them mwhahaha

2 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Limit cards to 2 each, and have them put in their phone # and email to purchase. That'll make it harder for people to buy masses of them. 

don't know where you from but here in the civilized part of the world we can get disposable SIM cards for 50 cents as well as disposable gmail boxes exist

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, TimeOmnivore said:

The problem I have isn't that GPUs are expensive, it's that they are more expensive than they should be because of a specific group of people. I already am doing as you say and am saving up, but that doesn't mean it's not frustrating or that the miners aren't (at least partially) at fault.

Well if it's not such a big problem why get so melodramatic and talk about your life purpose? It's just a device for a hobby, if you can't wait and want something cheaper get a better power supply and a 980 it will game just fine and much cheaper than a 580.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

don't know where you from but here in the civilized part of the world we can get disposable SIM cards for 50 cents as well as disposable gmail boxes exist

I'm from the US. And yeah, there's not really a way to stop people, without some stupid hardware DRM feature that makes it terrible for mining. But that'd just be a pain, os we'll have to hope miners tart being polite and not gobbling up every GPU in sight. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

14 minutes ago, TimeOmnivore said:

The only purpose in life is to enjoy what little of it you have left. If these people's actions are actively making it more difficult for me to enjoy my life more than it otherwise would be, then no, I don't care about their lives or the families they need to support. Call me selfish and I'll wholeheartedly agree with you - I am. It's not my job to care about their well-being.

just recognize that the blade cuts both ways, friend.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

2 per paypal account and address.  It's a pain in the ass to set up multiple paypal accounts (I think Paypal blocks it too) and multiple shipping addresses.

i have 3 paypal accs tho... 2 got nuked when i accidently told them i wasent 18 lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

If the power consumption for these cards are true... Is it even worth it? Your power bill is going to be outrageous with these things CONSTANTLY running, right? I really don't think there is THAT much money in mining that you can cover the cost of your Power Bill from month to month with this.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I already did a while ago :P 

Difference is I just put the card I already had for gaming to work in its spare time mining, rather than specifically ordering a 747 full of cards just for mining alone xD 

thats what i did too, i had 2 480s, that just payed themselves :) 

oh how fun. if true there will be no Vega for Sweden basically. great -_- well i dont know if its even an economically viable option yet over a GTX 1080, but if the Vega 56 leak happens to be true, then it should be(or maybe the market will flod with cheap GTX 1080s so i end up with 1080 SLI and a new motherboard :ph34r::ph34r:)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Its tough to say.. undervolt to save power, find the sweet spot of undervolting where performance peaks and least amount of power is used then chug away. If one crypto market tanks.. it'll get moved to another. 

1070's are floating in the 430 dollar range (and higher, much higher) which is insane.. assuming its in stock. If they have stepped upto the 1070 a 400/500 dollar RX 56/64 will probably be profitable. I don't know what the current ROI on a 1080 would be but its only a matter of time as the supplies of 1070's dry up that the 1080's start getting the crypto use.

17 minutes ago, Agost said:

We just want gaming cards.

RX460 and 560, GTX 1050 etc, those are more than good enough to play 1080p on medium settings.  Plenty of GPU power for you gamers to have fun, and that leaves the serious cards for those of us who actually use their cards to the fullest rather than letting them idle for 90% of the day. 

:P

Look at the bright side, the mining dificulty will go up so much that the mining value of the rx 500 cards will be too low to turn up profit, you'll get 580s at half the price on the used market

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-merged-

did he posted it first? i didn't see it when i posted, at least not in the new section 

Just now, cj09beira said:

did he posted it first? i didn't see it when i posted, at least not in the new section 

Seems like it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

TBH if the performance of the Vega 64 decent then I'm considering ditching my 1080tis.

I know the performance isn't equal but the Gsync premium isn't worth it plus I game at 4K and the 1080tis destroy it and go to like 90fps anyway.

The compute performance of the card, FLOPS, should have made this obvious. At some point Vega was always going to be good at mining.

hum... first come first served?

i don't see where's the issue. If you can't get one, sucks to be you, you should have woke up earlier son. Seriously, it's not like they're stealing it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 hours ago, knightslugger said:

so i'm required to give up bank account numbers in order to purchase a product that's available on the shelf? What's going to happen to everyone who DOES buy off the shelf? "No Vega for you!"? What about retailers who don't want to have a relationship with PayPal? Best Buy would tell you to pack sand. Amazon would tell you to pack sand.

how many are you gonna sell then?

Locking payments through a singular exclusive 3rd party BANK is a MASSIVELY bad idea...

Not to mention even most of Europe doesn't even use PayPal... heck I don't even know how to set on up. But the shelf thing in the Netherlands I haven't seen a single store that has gpus or cpus on shelf so that's not the issue here. So in that regard limiting to bank account could be an option