AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 leaked benchmarks: GTX 1070 killer

Mr_Troll
Just now, XenosTech said:

Well I use a forwarder from the US to here and all my stuff arrives in pristine condition just a little dirt here or there on the boxes

Lucky mate. I swear if some UK companies see I'm in Ireland they take a few pipes to the packages. :P
I just hope my RMA of the GPU goes well, and is sorted soon.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Valentyn said:

Lucky mate. I swear if some UK companies see I'm in Ireland they take a few pipes to the packages. :P
I just hope my RMA of the GPU goes well, and is sorted soon.

lol they should include a mean looking body guard this time

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

11 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

So maybe there is still hope for Vega? If this is true I hope power consumption isn't absurd next to Pascal. I wait with bated breath.

power consumption will be reasonable. Not as low as a gtx 1070 obviously but still will be ok.

Basically every chip has a particular frequency range at which they are most efficient. Where the perf/watt is at it it's peak. As you start climbing higher the scaling becomes more non linear. And you start needing more and more voltage for smaller frequency (performance) gains.

so what happens on the flagship is that AMD is pushing the clocks way above the point of diminishing returns because they think screw it we have to beat the gtx 1080 in absolute performance, whatever the voltage and power cost.

that's why the top end will be those hungry chips, while the lower clocked more efficient versions like the 210 watt vega 56 and 150 watt vega Nano also exist, they are not giving up as much performance as some expect.

40 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Damn that sucks for the gpu... Would think these delivery guys would take the utmost care of packages they're delivering for people. Like if someone was sending a virus though one of them look how we all would die lol

As someone who worked for FedEx I can confirm that not everyone is very careful with packages. This is likely due to FedEx really emphasizing being as fast as possible and giving speed expectations that isn't really possible to due while being careful with the packages. If you don't make the speed expectations you get in trouble so you really are required to do whatever it takes to go faster. That being said I have a friend who used to work at a cheap shipping service that used packages as stepping stools to load the higher up sections of the semi truck trailers. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

As someone who worked for FedEx I can confirm that not everyone is very careful with packages. This is likely due to FedEx really emphasizing being as fast as possible and giving speed expectations that isn't really possible to due while being careful with the packages. If you don't make the speed expectations you get in trouble so you really are required to do whatever it takes to go faster. That being said I have a friend who used to work at a cheap shipping service that used packages as stepping stools to load the higher up sections of the semi truck trailers. 

lol you guys are making me want to fly out and buy my own parts and bring them back myself in a carry on case or something 

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

lol you guys are making me want to fly out and buy my own parts and bring them back myself in a carry on case or something 

Usually they still handle packages with fragile on the box more carefully. It really depends on the employee too because some do it carefully but again it really depends and I have seen people throwing packages to go faster. 

56 minutes ago, Humbug said:

power consumption will be reasonable. Not as low as a gtx 1070 obviously but still will be ok.

Basically every chip has a particular frequency range at which they are most efficient. Where the perf/watt is at it it's peak. As you start climbing higher the scaling becomes more non linear. And you start needing more and more voltage for smaller frequency (performance) gains.

so what happens on the flagship is that AMD is pushing the clocks way above the point of diminishing returns because they think screw it we have to beat the gtx 1080 in absolute performance, whatever the voltage and power cost.

that's why the top end will be those hungry chips, while the lower clocked more efficient versions like the 210 watt vega 56 and 150 watt vega Nano also exist, they are not giving up as much performance as some expect.

but they still have the card running at a too high voltage, they really need to upgrade their process to define a cards voltage

58 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

but they still have the card running at a too high voltage, they really need to upgrade their process to define a cards voltage

RX Vega will not be as hungry as current FE