Where are the LTT AMD featured builds?

So I'm sure this has been discussed alot but I need to hear it from someone that writes for or plans the LTT videos. 

After watching the nth video that Linus does building a PC (sleeper build) with an i9 of all things, I came here to wonder out loud. Why has LTT, in my knowledge, not done an AMD featured build? Yes I know about the supercomputer Linus built at AMD not long ago and yes I know about the exclusive Radeon and TR reveal at the comival, but damnit, I just don't see why not?

Would I have liked to see an AMD/Nvidia system in the sleeper build? Yes. Will LTT ever release a video with a freaking Ryzen chip in a system that THEY built (not Alienware) ON PURPOSE? well that remains to be seen. 

Again, sorry for the ranty, whiny nature of this post but I like diversity. Be great to see a system built that doesn't get Intel more ad revenue to blast my Facebook with their "scalability" adverts. Psh. 

lots of their builds were made before AM4 was a stable and good platform, so they didn't feel like recommending AMD chips back then. (Ex. the bequiet sponsored build guide that everyone hates)

stuff like the sleeper PC was meant to be the best of the best PC you can get. Ryzen doesn't provide that sadly. if they had done this in September, maybe they would've used threadripper, but right now, nobody can argue that the i9 is the best consumer CPU that exists. LTT wanted to use the best. 

I, too, am slightly irked that LTT has been using primarily intel parts, but also completely understand why they are doing this. 

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I wonder if they have this in the works, or they figured its too specific a base. Have they ever done an Intel featured build?

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

They have done two, as far as I can remember:

Spoiler

Of course some PC builds have had Intel CPU's and AMD GPU's, but not gonna count that because I don't think you are after that.

I'm still surprised they haven't done a Ryzen build (I don't think stuff like 'young platform', 'compatibility issues', etc. is a problem anymore), I bet it would attract a lot of AMD fans to the channel.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, Ratburger08 said:

So I'm sure this has been discussed alot but I need to hear it from someone that writes for or plans the LTT videos. 

After watching the nth video that Linus does building a PC (sleeper build) with an i9 of all things, I came here to wonder out loud. Why has LTT, in my knowledge, not done an AMD featured build? Yes I know about the supercomputer Linus built at AMD not long ago and yes I know about the exclusive Radeon and TR reveal at the comival, but damnit, I just don't see why not?

Would I have liked to see an AMD/Nvidia system in the sleeper build? Yes. Will LTT ever release a video with a freaking Ryzen chip in a system that THEY built (not Alienware) ON PURPOSE? well that remains to be seen. 

Again, sorry for the ranty, whiny nature of this post but I like diversity. Be great to see a system built that doesn't get Intel more ad revenue to blast my Facebook with their "scalability" adverts. Psh. 

We've had a few Ryzen builds in the plans for a while but somehow they keep hitting snags. 

An i9 was used in the Sleeper because it was the top consumer processor on the market at the time of building (once Threadripper drops it will be interesting to see how that changes things).

4 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

We've had a few Ryzen builds in the plans for a while but somehow they keep hitting snags. 

An i9 was used in the Sleeper because it was the top consumer processor on the market at the time of building (once Threadripper drops it will be interesting to see how that changes things).

I can't wait for Linus to drop something while recording the video.. :P /s 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

I think it comes down to who will give them CPUs they ask for, and Linus has said in the past certain companies are more willing to do this than others.  Also, there's been a number of videos where they were written, planned for, etc. before Ryzen was a good option, even though it was by the time they came out, and the same is likely happening with threadripper.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I appreciate the reply. It's just frustrating to me to see that the only fun, or "multitasking heavy" builds are done with Intel processors, when that's pretty much what Ryzen was made for lol. Thanks again! Hope to see some red on floatplane soon ;)

Videos are recorded at least a month before they're released, and they don't do build videos that often.  They did a Ryzen 7 video when it came out though.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

12 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

was considering tagging linus but you showed up xD 

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

14 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

right now, nobody can argue that the i9 is the best consumer CPU that exists. LTT wanted to use the best. 

I would call it the fastest, not necessarily the best (and of course its speed depends on your use case).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think that this is because of all their CPUs For free. I am almost certain that Linus would use Ryzen CPUs if he had to pay for them. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I would call it the fastest, not necessarily the best (and of course its speed depends on your use case).

yes, but in general its best in nearly everything, only getting edged out in single threaded performance by a 7700K or 6700K overclocked. (using an OC'ed i9 to compare.)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Bam.

Also we've got a value gaming build guide with Ryzen 5 that keeps getting the filming date pushed out because this place is a disaster and we're super busy.

As for the Sleeper PC, Threadripper isn't out yet. We'll see what happens in the future.

40 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

yes, but in general its best in nearly everything, only getting edged out in single threaded performance by a 7700K or 6700K overclocked. (using an OC'ed i9 to compare.)

Well, considering what a massive trainwreck the x299 platform is I'd hesitate to call it best. Performance isn't everything.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Bam.

Also we've got a value gaming build guide with Ryzen 5 that keeps getting the filming date pushed out because this place is a disaster and we're super busy.

As for the Sleeper PC, Threadripper isn't out yet. We'll see what happens in the future.

Well I hope to see more of awesomeness like this and I'm SUPER stoked for the next sleeper build. I put a Ryzen 7 system into a Mac pro G5 case myself, which took alot of sheet metal work but was worth it in the end. We'll keep being badasses them and I'll go back to being a good little view number :P thanks for the reply Linus! Gotta say kinda surreal to hear directly from someone as big (oxymoron) as you. 

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, Ratburger08 said:

Well I hope to see more of awesomeness like this and I'm SUPER stoked for the next sleeper build. I put a Ryzen 7 system into a Mac pro G5 case myself, which took alot of sheet metal work but was worth it in the end. We'll keep being badasses them and I'll go back to being a good little view number :P thanks for the reply Linus! Gotta say kinda surreal to hear directly from someone as big (oxymoron) as you. 

Cheers!

You stuck an updated computer into a PowerMac G5 case?  (Mac Pros are after the PowerPC days)

That's pretty cool.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 minute ago, Ratburger08 said:

thanks for the reply Linus! Gotta say kinda surreal to hear directly from someone as big (oxymoron) as you. 

I've had 2 thread replies and 1 private message reply from Linus and it always feels awesome :)

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

The exterior was so dinged and scratchdd I couldn't help but paint it. Admittedly I painted it the wrong color. Way wrong. Now I'm building a new case from scratch

1 minute ago, Ratburger08 said:

The exterior was so dinged and scratchdd I couldn't help but paint it. Admittedly I painted it the wrong color. Way wrong. Now I'm building a new case from scratch

Ah, I understand that then.

See, I love old Apple hardware, don't mind updating it with sleeper builds like this, but modifying the exterior just feels... so dirty and wrong.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.