Liquid metal on Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3

Special Agent 星雨

Is it safe to use Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut with a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 on a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU? I understand the heatsink on the Dark Rock Pro 3 is nickel plated, then has aluminium underneath, so it should be fine, right?

Specs in signature.

I'm no Special Agent myself, but my Dad was!

Ryzen 7 3700X

Lian Li Galahad 360mm White AIO

4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

Samsung 970 Pro SSD, Crucial MX500 SSD, WD Blue HDD, WD Blue HDD, WD Green HDD, Silicon Power SSD.

All wrapped in a Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL case.

Just use one comes with cooler

On 8/2/2017 at 0:44 PM, Special Agent 星雨 said:

Is it safe to use Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut with a Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 3 on a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU? I understand the heatsink on the Dark Rock Pro 3 is nickel plated, then has aluminium underneath, so it should be fine, right?

Specs in signature.

The base is made of copper only the fins are aluminum. 

liquid metal is known to erase cpu labels so i wouldn't recommend it

On 06/08/2017 at 6:30 PM, Berk70 said:

liquid metal is known to erase cpu labels so i wouldn't recommend it

Couldn't care less if my CPU label gets rubbed away. Not like I won't know what CPU I'm using lol.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

Samsung 970 Pro SSD, Crucial MX500 SSD, WD Blue HDD, WD Blue HDD, WD Green HDD, Silicon Power SSD.

dont use liquid metal. its too annoying to work with, can cause too many problems and isnt worth it.

id suggest Thermal Grizzlys Kryonaut instead

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

1 minute ago, Tsuki said:

dont use liquid metal. its too annoying to work with, can cause too many problems and isnt worth it.

id suggest Thermal Grizzlys Kryonaut instead

Too annoying to work with? Can you elaborate? From research my understanding is that it'll just cause some cosmetic damage to the chip and can be removed just like normal thermal paste.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

5 minutes ago, Special Agent 星雨 said:

Too annoying to work with? Can you elaborate? From research my understanding is that it'll just cause some cosmetic damage to the chip and can be removed just like normal thermal paste.

well first, it doesnt perform that much better. it eats aluminium, really messy and difficult to clean up, insanely conductive which means youd better not get any of your motherboard or you're getting a new motherboard, itll short anything it touches.

its good if you want to delidd and put it under the IHS(which you shouldnt do since ryzens IHS is soldered)

its not intended to be used as normal thermal paste.

and your dark rock cooler is not going to cool it enough to have any benefit whatsoever

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I've watched a ton of reviews on it, and from what I've seen it is a lot more difficult to spread that traditional TIM, and with the provided swabs they give you it is very easy to spread it properly, and it is also not as fluid as traditional TIM so keeping it in place should be relatively easy, I am conscious of the potential damage it could cause if it touches the PCB. I've settled on just using normal TIM between my CPU and the cooler (which I have changed to the Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi instead due to RAM clearance problems), and using Thermal Grizzly's Conductonaut for my 1080 Ti SC2 instead, which have proven to make a 6-7 degree difference compared to the original TIM used. This difference is enough of an incentive for me to try it out. The baseplate on the SC2 cooler is copper-plated, so it is perfectly safe to do this. Cleaning it just takes a bit more effort (IMO), so its not really a problem for me.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Asus X570-E motherboard

KFA2 RTX 2080Ti SG

EVGA 850W P2 PSU

19 hours ago, Special Agent 星雨 said:

19 hours ago, Tsuki said:

well first, it doesnt perform that much better. it eats aluminium, really messy and difficult to clean up, insanely conductive which means youd better not get any of your motherboard or you're getting a new motherboard, itll short anything it touches.

its good if you want to delidd and put it under the IHS(which you shouldnt do since ryzens IHS is soldered)

its not intended to be used as normal thermal paste.

and your dark rock cooler is not going to cool it enough to have any benefit whatsoever

So long as you go slow Conductonaught is pretty easy to work with. Much better than previous LM TIMs  which is probably what Tsuki is thinking of. Much less likely to drip or run during application. Also, unlike most other LMs, you don't need to prepare the surface at all with sandpaper. In fact the smoother the surface I think the better it works so it might be best for performance gains* to grab some 5000+ grit sand paper and do a quick, very light buff of both surfaces. Will have to test the next time I use. Anyway the point is as long as you're careful Conductonaught isn't difficult to work with. Test a small bit out on a piece of plastic or metal that you don't care about to get used to it's spread properties.

*Don't try anything like this until you've got several builds under your belt or have done similar things in other areas.