[Updated, confirmed] Intel Coffee Lake CPUs will NOT be compatible with Z270 chipset motherboards

Sorry if this is a stupid question or if it’s been answered already but, can someone tell me when or around when coffee lake will be available?

im helping a friend build his first desktop and he is very persistent on getting intel so with this very recent news I have told him to hold off for coffee lake but I don’t know when it launches....

help?

23 minutes ago, ETHREAL1 said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question or if it’s been answered already but, can someone tell me when or around when coffee lake will be available?

im helping a friend build his first desktop and he is very persistent on getting intel so with this very recent news I have told him to hold off for coffee lake but I don’t know when it launches....

help?

They haven't announced a launch date, but it's expected to be either end of this year or beginning of next.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

They haven't announced a launch date, but it's expected to be either end of this year or beginning of next.

Thanks I will pass it on.

On 8/2/2017 at 11:07 AM, Misanthrope said:

So you're making this point on the very thread that makes this as much of a problem for people remaining with intel?

Good for you: managing to hide a glaring flaw of intel behind a pseudo-witty retort that makes absolutely no sense in the context on which is posted.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrRrrRrrrrrNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Intel's bullshit lately seriously is making me consider just saving up a boatload more to jump over to at least an R5 1600 instead of investing in my well-and-truly-dead Z97 board or forking out even more for retardation produced by blue team.

If only more Z270i-like boards for Ryzen came out because that rear I/O is seks af

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

6 hours ago, MageTank said:

If you are upgrading from say, Skylake or Kaby Lake, and can afford the cost/have the experience to cool X299, you are better off going that route as you will end up with a better upgrade path in the future, and have more memory bandwidth/capacity and potentially more PCIe lanes

Not that many people upgrade that often though, and outside of the growing popularity of NVMe M.2 drives, PCIe lane expandability isn't much of an issue for the target consumers of the mainstream platform, and NVMe isn't really beneficial enough to justify the price increases. It's also likely to be a lower cost of investment for CL, which given the trade offs, puts the two chips in distinct markets and it better serves to try to eat away at R5 and R7 sales (if they stay at 6c/12t and 8c/16t and clocks and the IMC don't improve much) when it does come out, given that CL is supposed to have a clockspeed advantage.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 8/3/2017 at 9:38 PM, Grinners said:

It is annoying that computers instantly stop working the moment newer models/versions come out... /s

That also goes hand in hand with people who have 20 different gadgets hooked up to their TV, but the second the main TV feed goes out, everything else doesn't work either. ;-)

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

• 2 weeks later...

So after reading the 6 pages of debate outside of the Arock twit (which has subsequently disapperared/been removed) and a few leaks there is no official statement from Intel whether or not Coffee Lake 1151 CPU's will be compatible/usable with Z270 chipsets?

9 hours ago, chugs said:

So after reading the 6 pages of debate outside of the Arock twit (which has subsequently disapperared/been removed) and a few leaks there is no official statement from Intel whether or not Coffee Lake 1151 CPU's will be compatible/usable with Z270 chipsets?

Well I just asked Intel Support directly on twitter, pls retweet and like...

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Well I just asked Intel Support directly on twitter, pls retweet and like...

I'm not a Twitter user but I certainly hope they respond! I mean, it's not like the launch is in a few months so they should be fairly straightforward, right?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm not a Twitter user but I certainly hope they respond! I mean, it's not like the launch is in a few months so they should be fairly straightforward, right?

Well they responded....

There's a press event on Aug 21st where Coffeelake will be previewed. I guess we'll find out in 4 days time.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It's a shame that LTT hasn't done a video on this issue

But 4 days is too long to wait.

I need to know now!

Thanks Intel for reinforcing my opinion that I should have waited and built a threadripper system instead of the 7700k and Asrock Supercarrier motherboard I did end up buying.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Updated the original post with new information, check it out ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Again, they can keep those cpus for themselves.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Not a single dude/dudette I know keep the old mobo when upgrading their computer.

It's a nonissue for 99% of the people.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

15 minutes ago, snortingfrogs said:

Not a single dude/dudette I know keep the old mobo when upgrading their computer.

Yes, I really don't see how motherboard upgrade is an issue (unless you buy low end CPUs like i3s and Pentiums), those who buy medium end CPUs that can last long will keep them for a least 4 years, those who buy a new CPU every generation certainly won't mind spending money on a new motherboard.I guess this is a meme coming from amd fantards.

On 2-8-2017 at 4:33 PM, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Thank you Intel you made me go to team Red, oh wait I've had team Red almost my entire life and it's garbage.

Console here I come.

Can't tell if serious.

30 minutes ago, snortingfrogs said:

15 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Yes, I really don't see how motherboard upgrade is an issue (unless you buy low end CPUs like i3s and Pentiums), those who buy medium end CPUs that can last long will keep them for a least 4 years, those who buy a new CPU every generation certainly won't mind spending money on a new motherboard.I guess this is a meme coming from amd fantards.

LOL, so according to you nobody upgrades the CPU without changing the motherboard? I mean... That's like you said noone buys Pentiums, i3s or i5s. Is that the case? Not really.

Intel's sockets and chipsets last too short, that's a fact and we shouldn't encourage that behavior. You know the lifespan of Z270 before becoming EOL? A few months. A few months of life for an entirely new CPU lineup and a brand-new chipset.

That is not okay at all and calling someone an "amd fantard" because he disagrees with anti-consumer practices tells us something about yourself.

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

LOL, so according to you nobody upgrades the CPU without changing the motherboard? I mean... That's like you said noone buys Pentiums, i3s or i5s. Is that the case? Not really.

Wait what?How are these 2 things the same?If you are that type of person who would put a new CPU on a 4-5 year old motherboard so you can use it another 4-5 years then go ahead, I wouldn't do it.Kaby lake was a refresh, nobody forced people to buy it just like the new chipsets.These aren't anti consumer practices, if you don't want intel's CPUs then don't buy them, nobody forces people to buy them.

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Wait what?How are these 2 things the same?If you are that type of person who would put a new CPU on a 4-5 year old motherboard so you can use it another 4-5 years then go ahead, I wouldn't do it.Kaby lake was a refresh, nobody forced people to buy it just like the new chipsets.These aren't anti consumer practices, if you don't want intel's CPUs then don't buy them, nobody forces people to buy them.

How are those the same? I don't know, have you seen someone with an i7-6700K "upgrade" to an i7-7700K? Me neither.

That's the problem, if we were talking about mobos 4-5 years old then sure. But if you buy a brand-new chipset in let's say January 2017, only to get NO UPGRADE PATH WHATSOEVER so it's EOL after a few months, I would get pretty mad.

I suppose you have no idea how people actually buy PCs.

16 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

How are those the same? I don't know, have you seen someone with an i7-6700K "upgrade" to an i7-7700K? Me neither.

That's the problem, if we were talking about mobos 4-5 years old then sure. But if you buy a brand-new chipset in let's say January 2017, only to get NO UPGRADE PATH WHATSOEVER so it's EOL after a few months, I would get pretty mad.

I suppose you have no idea how people actually buy PCs.

So you are talking about people that upgrade every generation?I'm pretty sure those people are rich enough to afford a new motherboard every 2 years if they can afford a new CPU every 2 years, I wouldn't put a new CPU on a 4 year old motherboard that will be on an abandoned platform in a year or two, if that motherboard dies you can throw your CPU away.

I suppose YOU have no idea how people actually buy PCs.

BTW kaby lake is a refresh just like Rx 500, I'd they could offer better performance then what's wrong with it?We got Pentiums with ht, higher clocked CPUs and higher oc potential.

37 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

So you are talking about people that upgrade every generation?I'm pretty sure those people are rich enough to afford a new motherboard every 2 years if they can afford a new CPU every 2 years, I wouldn't put a new CPU on a 4 year old motherboard that will be on an abandoned platform in a year or two, if that motherboard dies you can throw your CPU away.

I suppose YOU have no idea how people actually buy PCs.

BTW kaby lake is a refresh just like Rx 500, I'd they could offer better performance then what's wrong with it?We got Pentiums with ht, higher clocked CPUs and higher oc potential.

I'm talking about people who are buying a platform with a cheaper CPU to have something decent to upgrade to later on. Example: i5-7600K owners, upgrading to 7700K isn't as rewarding but upgrading to a 6-core 8700K? That'd be truly something.

People who bought i3s could buy 4C/4T i3s at the same price point if Coffee Lake was backwards compatible.

If I need more CPU power and I'm on Z170, there's nothing to upgrade to. Following your logic, everyone who needs a CPU upgrade will have their motherboard obsolete. I'm sorry but Z170 to Z370 is an insigificant and useless swap with only crap features differing the two. So what's the point of buying a new mobo in this case? Hmmm?

But if I could put the 8700K in my board, what would it hurt Intel? They'd sell one CPU more.

It's extremely selfish of you to ignore those people.

Also, you're ignoring my point. How is 9 months long-enough for a brand-new CPU lineup and a brand-new chipset in terms of their lifespan? And when has Intel done the same in the past? They're doing it because they intentionally held back progress in the CPU market to milk more customers of their money and got scared of Ryzen because it shook things up a little and they were finally forced to ditch quad-core i5s and i7s on their mainstream platform. Could that have happened earlier? Obviously, it's not like Intel gained technology to make 6C CPUs mainstream only recently.

I understand competition, but it's not healthy competition if it's at the expense of your own customers and not only at the expense of the competing company.

1 hour ago, coolkingler1 said:

Can't tell if serious.

No, I'm serious. I'm done with the bs of the PC master race.

Consoles are cheaper, better, more and better games, optimization is well done, a better experience overall, no more headaches, no more worries.

30 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm talking about people who are buying a platform with a cheaper CPU to have something decent to upgrade to later on. Example: i5-7600K owners, upgrading to 7700K isn't as rewarding but upgrading to a 6-core 8700K? That'd be truly something.

People who bought i3s could buy 4C/4T i3s at the same price point if Coffee Lake was backwards compatible.

If I need more CPU power and I'm on Z170, there's nothing to upgrade to. Following your logic, everyone who needs a CPU upgrade will have their motherboard obsolete. I'm sorry but Z170 to Z370 is an insigificant and useless swap with only crap features differing the two. So what's the point of buying a new mobo in this case? Hmmm?

But if I could put the 8700K in my board, what would it hurt Intel? They'd sell one CPU more.

It's extremely selfish of you to ignore those people.

Also, you're ignoring my point. How is 9 months long-enough for a brand-new CPU lineup and a brand-new chipset in terms of their lifespan? And when has Intel done the same in the past? They're doing it because they intentionally held back progress in the CPU market to milk more customers of their money and got scared of Ryzen because it shook things up a little and they were finally forced to ditch quad-core i5s and i7s on their mainstream platform. Could that have happened earlier? Obviously, it's not like Intel gained technology to make 6C CPUs mainstream only recently.

I understand competition, but it's not healthy competition if it's at the expense of your own customers and not only at the expense of the competing company.

Think back to socket 775 and how long it lasted and how much confusion there was with compatibility as it would depend on more than just chipset, it would also be vendor, bios, and even  limits on voltage. I won't get too in depth but there are engineering reasons for incompatibility. Also z370 is planned to support both Kabylake refresh and Coffeelake.