Remote network management

Bwithnewcast

I am moving away from home and have a Intel nuc, and I wondered if there was I could remote into it with a gui so I can log into the router and change settings? Without buying any Windows license, and also the network is on a dynamic ip so I need it to scan what the ip is and when it changes I need it to send that to a mail address. Is there an easy soulution?

Are you saying the NUC is on a dynamic address or the public IP address is dynamic?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Are you saying the NUC is on a dynamic address or the public IP address is dynamic?

It's both, don't know how to make the whole network static....

Your best bet would to be have the router host a VPN server and use a dynamic DNS service as some are able to alert via email to a change in WAN IP.

Just now, Bwithnewcast said:

It's both, don't know how to make the whole network static....

I would suggest making the NUC have a static address.

For the public IP, setup Dynamic DNS through a service such as Dyn. Then, whenever the IP changes it will be immediately reflected and you just go to the same URL.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

I would suggest making the NUC have a static address.

For the public IP, setup Dynamic DNS through a service such as Dyn. Then, whenever the IP changes it will be immediately reflected and you just go to the same URL.

But how can I remote into it with gui?

1 minute ago, Bwithnewcast said:

For that you'll need to setup port forwarding

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

You can set it up running Windows (any version should do, just go with 10) and give the NUC a static IP on the local network. Enable remote desktop connections to that NUC (you'll need Windows Pro, even if it's not licensed) and port forward external port 3389 to internal port 3389 of the NUC's address on the local network. Then you can use an RDP client (it's built into Windows and there's an app for iOS and Android) to connect to your public IP address or DNS address and then you can have access to a computer within the local network, so you can get into the router's administration page and whatever else.  

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

51 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You can set it up running Windows (any version should do, just go with 10) and give the NUC a static IP on the local network. Enable remote desktop connections to that NUC (you'll need Windows Pro, even if it's not licensed) and port forward external port 3389 to internal port 3389 of the NUC's address on the local network. Then you can use an RDP client (it's built into Windows and there's an app for iOS and Android) to connect to your public IP address or DNS address and then you can have access to a computer within the local network, so you can get into the router's administration page and whatever else.  

Not using Windows so that would not Work? Or am i wrong?

42 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Then set up a VNC server on the NUC and connect to it either by port forwarding the VNC ports, or by first connecting to a VPN server set up on the router and then connecting to the VNC server on the NUC.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Your best bet would to be have the router host a VPN server and use a dynamic DNS service as some are able to alert via email to a change in WAN IP.

Depending on the router you can set up DDNS on it so it can auto update a domain. I use that for my router so I can log into it from outside.

chrome_2017-08-02_11-04-16.png

You can port forward your routers 80, 443 ports but that can be insecure if the router has a bad password.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

37 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Depending on the router you can set up DDNS on it so it can auto update a domain. I use that for my router so I can log into it from outside.

chrome_2017-08-02_11-04-16.png

You can port forward your routers 80, 443 ports but that can be insecure if the router has a bad password.

That's also a bad idea because many routers have known security holes in their HTTP(S) servers.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

7 minutes ago, brwainer said:

That's also a bad idea because many routers have known security holes in their HTTP(S) servers.

ya, another good point. well at least you can do a DDNS and run a VNC for a remote desktop session off the NUC to log in.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 hours ago, Bwithnewcast said:

As others have said, you can use VNC which is a remote connection protocol. Install Linux as the OS onto the NUC, and install VNC server onto the NUC.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

19 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

As others have said, you can use VNC which is a remote connection protocol. Install Linux as the OS onto the NUC, and install VNC server onto the NUC.

Thanks!